I need help completing my doctoral dissertation!

lajoiers

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum and have been living with my own hearing impairment my whole life. I am currently finishing up my doctorate in clinical psychology, but need some help completing my doctoral project. If you are interested in helping out (which would be fantastic), continue reading. As suggested below, you can contact me at my school emailing address OR you can reply here. Thanks!

Dear Participant,

My name is Renée Lajoie and I am a doctoral student in the clinical psychology program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am currently conducting a research study that explores the impact of verbal and non-verbal messages on an individual living with a hearing impairment. This research is a requirement of the doctoral program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am looking for participants to complete a brief survey and take part in an interview.

The completion of the survey and interview will take approximately one hour. The interview will be recorded and participants can stop at any time. When the results are shared, any identifying information would be changed to maintain confidentiality.

To meet criterion for inclusion in this research, participants must be adults who:

• Have been living with a hearing impairment that they:
-Were born with, or
-Acquired before the age of 4
• Are between 18 – 65 years of age
• Uses spoken English as a primary form of communication

If you are interested, please contact me at renee_lajoie@mspp.edu. I would be happy to discuss this project with you further and answer any questions you may have. Additionally, if you know of an individual who meets the requirements to be a participant in this research this project, please inform them of this opportunity.

**NOTE** Interviews are able to be conducting via phone or face-to-face internet chat. If you are local to my area, interviews may be conducted face-to-face.

Thank you for your consideration.
Renée Lajoie

your dissertation

If you are still looking for participants for your dissertation research, I am interested in helping. Although it would have to be face to face internet chat, since I am not local to you. It sounds like an interesting topic!

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum and have been living with my own hearing impairment my whole life. I am currently finishing up my doctorate in clinical psychology, but need some help completing my doctoral project. If you are interested in helping out (which would be fantastic), continue reading. As suggested below, you can contact me at my school emailing address OR you can reply here. Thanks!

Dear Participant,

My name is Renée Lajoie and I am a doctoral student in the clinical psychology program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am currently conducting a research study that explores the impact of verbal and non-verbal messages on an individual living with a hearing impairment. This research is a requirement of the doctoral program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am looking for participants to complete a brief survey and take part in an interview.

The completion of the survey and interview will take approximately one hour. The interview will be recorded and participants can stop at any time. When the results are shared, any identifying information would be changed to maintain confidentiality.

To meet criterion for inclusion in this research, participants must be adults who:

• Have been living with a hearing impairment that they:
-Were born with, or
-Acquired before the age of 4
• Are between 18 – 65 years of age
• Uses spoken English as a primary form of communication

If you are interested, please contact me at renee_lajoie@mspp.edu. I would be happy to discuss this project with you further and answer any questions you may have. Additionally, if you know of an individual who meets the requirements to be a participant in this research this project, please inform them of this opportunity.

**NOTE** Interviews are able to be conducting via phone or face-to-face internet chat. If you are local to my area, interviews may be conducted face-to-face.

Thank you for your consideration.
Renée Lajoie

I'm just curious why spoken English is a requirement for this study. You are excluding some of the Deaf population by that requirement, as there are many people who are d/Deaf who either cannot, or choose not to use spoken English as their primary mode of communication.

I'm just curious why spoken English is a requirement for this study. You are excluding some of the Deaf population by that requirement, as there are many people who are d/Deaf who either cannot, or choose not to use spoken English as their primary mode of communication.

because.....
I am currently conducting a research study that explores the impact of verbal and non-verbal messages on an individual living with a hearing impairment.

what's the matter? are you afraid of what the result would yield? :lol:

So this is for oral/aural deaf only?

What impact? Positive or negative reaction from what stimulus? Who is your control group? To make sense of your hypothesis (requited for ANY research), you will need to quantify the answers from your survey and apply a margin of error from previous stats. Getting anonymous (can you confirm it is the deaf group that is representative of it's sample) answers can result in a biased study...

What impact? Positive or negative reaction from what stimulus? Who is your control group? To make sense of your hypothesis (requited for ANY research), you will need to quantify the answers from your survey and apply a margin of error from previous stats. Getting anonymous (can you confirm it is the deaf group that is representative of it's sample) answers can result in a biased study...
It's kinda like a Wiki version of research. :giggle:

first you are going to need to define verbal vs non verbal as opposed to linguistic vs non linguistic. also how will you isolate those affects caused by hearing loss and not by Autism/ Asperger's. which deals with not detecting non linguistic signals in communications. I have the same or similar issues in both spoken English and ASL due to Asperger's has nothing to do with hearing loss.
Sorry if I trashed your hypothesis already but better to do it now than after you invest a bunch of time and research into the study

think we scared her off. probably went to some Hearing Impaired forum to recruit easier subjects. Hope you don't own a large cash of firearms and ammunition

Back