I need a product that is hand held and is spech to text..

P

PeaceLvr

I HAVE BEEN CONTACTING COMPANIES LIKE H.P. And Apple about a product i think everyone who is or comes in contact with a deaf or hoh person needs.
I am provoundly deaf, but speak perfectly and lip read well..so I can walk up to a group of hearing ppl and pick up on what they are saying and join in the conversation somewhat GREAT HUH? NO!!! I want a product that is hand held or the size of a small tablet with built in microphones like the ones used in autos today that filter out all outside noise...then I would be able to hold the device, and text would appear on a small screen when the person i am speaking with speaks ( my doctor, lawyer, anyone!) Basic speech to text! Then I would be able to answer them immediately and accurately! Every school, doctors office, business of any kind, teacher, mom and dad, anyone who is hearing and has contact with the deaf could use this product . I wrote to the CEO of development at H.P. and told him he was missing out on a huge market for sales ( i thought i would get his attention using the $$) he was deffinately interested! Now if this device also had the usual letter (or word) pad..two deaf could interact and not need ASL..there lies the problem...My own kind..profoundly deaf friends had a fit about this.Well you don't have to use it if you would rather sign! OK.. but for someone like myself it would be the answer .. think if i were in an accident..if i had this device i would know what questions were being asked..and be able to recv the care i needed immediately. instead of waiting for someone to find a paper and pencil..geez!
OK, I know there are alot of "my own" against this idea..I have heard it believe me...but I really feel that under the ADA I am being denied my right to have an equal chance to express myself with out signing or using an interpreter! I really need a research and design group to get interested in this idea and I am trying hard to find one...Listen..the CEO of HP invited me to his Headquarters in Calif. because he saw the money signs..EVERYONE SHOULD BE MANDATED TO HAVE SUCH A DEVICE THAT DEAL WITH THE DEAF
and if i am talking to a deaf friend they will be able to see what i am saying in text on their device and type back if speech is an issue for them...I am trying really hard ..I plan on contacting apple and some of the other design companies that deal with technology for the deaf..my only problem is ...i am really afraid someone is going to do this..take my idea and make it happen and i have no grounds to say hey i have been working on this for 5 yrs! lol
SO..if there are any research and design techs out there..that read this and understand the concept I am presenting please contact me...i am also planning on contacting the ADA rep and see about a class action suit against the major producers of technology for the deaf and ask why they are denying me the right to function the SAME AS A HEARING PERSON...YOU SEE IF I HAD THIS DEVICE...NOTHING WOULD EVER HOLD ME BACK..NO JOB INTERVIEW..I SIMPLY SIT IT ON THE DESK IN Front OF ME...NO DOCTORS APPT..AGAIN..I WOULD UNDERSTAND HIS ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS AND
IF NOT AT LEAST BE ABLE TO QUESTION HIM mORE...AND GEEZ..EVERY SCHOOL NURSE SHOULD HAVE THIS..SO SHE CAN COMMUNICATE WITH A SICK DEAF OR HOH CHILD THAT COMES INTO HER OFFICE...DOES ANYONE GET WHAT I AM SAYING..OR AM I A RANTING RAVING IDEALIST. Well when you give up on your dreams of living a full life and you see the possibility right there in front of you...UGH! that about somes it up! ok! I feel better!

I read a communication technology article somewhere on the Alldeaf forum. I think it was two years ago. It cost 4,000 dollars to buy a tiny computer. I don't know what brand it is. It is not from Apple or HP. These companies never do it for us.

There are some choices that you can do about it.

You will need to contact an interpreter service in your area. It has to be in two weeks advance. Your interpreter will have to contact your doctor. Unfortunately, it is not a simple solution. It is still your job to make sure that both your doctor and the interpreter set up a date for the confirmation. It is not a perfect system because some doctors rather to save their own money for not hiring an interpreter. It is not against the law, but if you have a serious health problem, you have to go to a hospital, not at a doctor's office.

Another choice, you can contact a video phone service (two-way communications). I do not know where to find this service. I do not know who will pay for the service.

Be advise that some hospital agents sent a Spanish interpreter by mistake. You have to tell the agent that you need an American Sign Language interpreter (full name, not just three letters ASL), and tell her/him that you are hearing impaired - maybe rather to say deaf.

The best way is to ask your hearing parent or sister/brother to go with you to see a doctor. You shouldn't be ashamed because it's your family.

Off subject - Did you know that some hospitals offer hearing people to attend a lecture once a while? (i.e. allergy, weight problem, breathing, diabetes, etc. for each lecture maybe once a month) The hospital accepts to hire two interpreters if there are two or more deaf people for the lecture.

By the way, you will not able to sue a hospital alone unless it is a lawsuit (a group of people). Maybe, you might try to ask someone at a deaf or handicapped department in your state of capital. i.e. Montelier VT, Concord, NH, Boston, MA, Hartford, CT, Providence, RI, Albany, NY, Harrisburg, PA, etc...

Note: The video phone for interpreter is NOT a private service. There are two different services - one is only for the hospital and another one is a regular interpreter that we do on VP.

A new video phone interpreter company now works with some hospitals in most states. I had a deaf meeting about this a few months ago. They didn't give us the paper about the company.

I, too, am interested in using a handheld speech-to-text convertor for everyday communication.

To my understanding, current technology makes development of such a device absolutely feasible, at least, for English-speaking environment. Speech-to-text convertors, such as NaturallySpeaking, are already available on the software market, and the only technical problem remaining is to make such software run in real time mode on a lightweight and small-size device.

IMO, accuracy of speech-to-text conversion is in this case not essential, since most of us deaf people have developed a fantastic ability to figure out what is being said from just a few words understood :D

So I do look forward to such devices appearing on the market and hope that will happen pretty soon! :)

Here are some links. These are not what you are looking for, but you might want to read:

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/53816-twist-texting-gives-voice-deaf.html ...or... (sComm | Freedom Through Communication)

http://www.alldeaf.com/computer-isp-programming/52222-handtalk.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/37262-text-voice-voice-text-services.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/38623-text-messenger-walkee-talkees.html

Viable Company has a video phone portable that you could use it, but I am not sure that it has a wireless for a telephone service. You could find out about it. Viable.net Homepage

Many new different video phone devices (and wireless VP) are coming out at the end of this year and next year. We just have to wait to see what they offer for us.

Look, if this was possible today, it would be done already. If hearing people don't already have this for notetaking (how many company executives would love to have this for their meetings?!) then you can see that the technology still has hurdles to overcome.

about VideoPhone Interpepter, deaf people told me, I use VP and Phone in one room, FCC said cannot it, must VP in each room, Phone each room or far, I wish Video Interpepter without phone, exp: handheld video built-in voice / speaker for back, Camera and display, I go MacDonald, I use sign to handheild to voice to custmer, that FCC said can't it, it is law.. shit

I read a communication technology article somewhere on the Alldeaf forum. I think it was two years ago. It cost 4,000 dollars to buy a tiny computer. I don't know what brand it is. It is not from Apple or HP. These companies never do it for us.

There are some choices that you can do about it.

You will need to contact an interpreter service in your area. It has to be in two weeks advance. Your interpreter will have to contact your doctor. Unfortunately, it is not a simple solution. It is still your job to make sure that both your doctor and the interpreter set up a date for the confirmation. It is not a perfect system because some doctors rather to save their own money for not hiring an interpreter. It is not against the law, but if you have a serious health problem, you have to go to a hospital, not at a doctor's office.

Another choice, you can contact a video phone service (two-way communications). I do not know where to find this service. I do not know who will pay for the service.

Be advise that some hospital agents sent a Spanish interpreter by mistake. You have to tell the agent that you need an American Sign Language interpreter (full name, not just three letters ASL), and tell her/him that you are hearing impaired - maybe rather to say deaf.

The best way is to ask your hearing parent or sister/brother to go with you to see a doctor. You shouldn't be ashamed because it's your family.

Off subject - Did you know that some hospitals offer hearing people to attend a lecture once a while? (i.e. allergy, weight problem, breathing, diabetes, etc. for each lecture maybe once a month) The hospital accepts to hire two interpreters if there are two or more deaf people for the lecture.

By the way, you will not able to sue a hospital alone unless it is a lawsuit (a group of people). Maybe, you might try to ask someone at a deaf or handicapped department in your state of capital. i.e. Montelier VT, Concord, NH, Boston, MA, Hartford, CT, Providence, RI, Albany, NY, Harrisburg, PA, etc...

Note: The video phone for interpreter is NOT a private service. There are two different services - one is only for the hospital and another one is a regular interpreter that we do on VP.

A new video phone interpreter company now works with some hospitals in most states. I had a deaf meeting about this a few months ago. They didn't give us the paper about the company.

Many thanks to everyone who responded..yes I know the technology is out there just waiting for some hearing person to decide they could use it for....BUT iI think I want to find a research and development group to hire...i am very serious about feeling my rights are being violated...I know all the parts I need , just don't know how to put them on platform and begin testing..but i am not guiving up..sure..years to wait..you say...well I am not going to sit around and wait.I will go to washington and bang on doors .Perhaps I can find a deaf member in the family of someone who gets elected..I'll talk to them..anything is possible..I need this..I will not sit and wait I am taking action now and will continue to keep asking and pushing and writing..and at least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I tried my hardest...if nothing comes of it before my time is up, then I'll go smiling. knowing I did evcerything I could..thanks again...Peace to you all!

I never thought of this one. Senator Tom Harkin is the one that you want to talk him because his brother was deaf. He is excellent in ASL. He created an original ADA law. Good Luck!

The problem with these devices is that they are not 100% compatible with all speakers. Different people speak with different tones of voices and different accents.

You would have a better chance with an interpreter than with a voice-recognition device.

What about lipreading?

speech to text

About 3 years ago there was a company out of Florida that was developing such a unit. It was not exactly like you describe, but close. They had an LED display unit that would "listen" to a person speaking and would convert it to rolling text on the LED display.

I spoke with them because I am exactly in the same boat as you, but they must be having some technical problems. I shall attempt to resurrect this topic.

Good luck.

Charlie:wave:

Back