I might be pissed off

DefMATRIXense

Reaction score
Today I am going to pick my new hearing aids without me consent what kind of hearing aids do I wanted. My audi says my insurance only pays a speific hearing aids. It sounds BS. I really wanted to get a phonak versata. Should I call my insurance to find out if its true?

unfortunately, some insurance companies will only pay for certain kinds of hearing aids. when i wore hearing aids, i was given a limited choice as to the models i could choose from due to medicaid policies.

unfortunately, some insurance companies will only pay for certain kinds of hearing aids. when i wore hearing aids, i was given a limited choice as to the models i could choose from due to medicaid policies.
If in that case, how come I didn't pick the name of hearing aids and which model the insurance is willing to pay?

If in that case, how come I didn't pick the name of hearing aids and which model the insurance is willing to pay?

that probably has more to do with your audi. he or she should have given you a list of hearing aid models designed for your loss that your insurance company would pay for. the only exception to this is if you have profound loss and can only be helped by one or 2 different types of hearing aids. if that is the case, perhaps your audi couldn't offer you any options.

that probably has more to do with your audi. he or she should have given you a list of hearing aid models designed for your loss that your insurance company would pay for. the only exception to this is if you have profound loss and can only be helped by one or 2 different types of hearing aids. if that is the case, perhaps your audi couldn't offer you any options.
thanks I will find out. I wonder if I am willing to pay in half if my insurance is willing to pay in half also? Two hearing aids would be cost like $4,000 total or so.

Last edited:
thanks I will find out. I wonder if I am willing to pay in half if my insurance is willing to pay in half also? Two hearing aids would be cost like $4,000 total or so.

i don't know, but you could ask your audi about that. i've always had my hearing aids paid for by medicaid, so i don't know what options are available to those who have a different insurer. as far as the price of hearing aids is concerned, $2,000/aid seems a bit high. i would tend to think that a good pair of hearing aids would run you about $1,000-$1500/aid.

I have a hearing aid, never use it. I prefer DEAF :deaf: as peaceful. No annoy noise. ;)

I was not given the option as to which brand of HA I was getting but I also had not researched the different brands or options either. I just knew my hearing was changing by the day and needed something flexible and fast. My insurance co paid $400.00 and that was it. I had to cover the rest. It was expensive but also offered me the ability to hear what I had been missing. After 4 months and due to my unexpected worsening hearing and the aid not being powerful enough, my Audi contacted the company to discuss exchanging the HA for a more powerful one. They covered the entire cost of the change, ear molds and stuff from a digital ITC to a digital BTE with no additional insurance assistance or $$$ from me. Maybe they took the guts out of the ITC, modified it and put it in a BTE with more power. I don't really know but it worked. Unfortunately after another 5 months of continued worsening hearing I was given the option of receiving a CI which I have had for 2 years now. I am having my second CI activated this Friday and am looking forward to the experience again.

After my CI activation, my Audiologist contacted the HA company, explained my hearing loss situation and the company and Dr. Office offered to refund the amount I paid for the HA. I sure don't think this is normal and believe I am one of the lucky ones.

My thoughts, if your audiologist and office is willing to work with you on the programming to make sure you are able to benefit as much as you possibly can and if they have the technical support from the company, then go with what they offer. Ask them how they will support you if you run into difficulty using the product or it quits working. They may be getting better technical and sales support from the company they are "selecting" for you and in turn, may be able to offer services similar to what I have received.

Ultimately, I hope you are able to get the benefit and features you are wanting from the aid.
Steve

I have two new hearing aids called Siemens Intuis and it costs $1,600 each. But I cant get Phonak versata that costs $2,200 because my medicare wouldnt cover it. Come on $600 difference. Some deaf friends say why dont DVR pay for it? I was like DVR will to pay for it? Never heard. Anyone confirms it? I have to apply a DVR because I never had a DVR before.

By the way, I havent chance to get new hearing adis because they dont have my new earmoles yet until monday

I have two new hearing aids called Siemens Intuis and it costs $1,600 each. But I cant get Phonak versata that costs $2,200 because my medicare wouldnt cover it. Come on $600 difference. Some deaf friends say why dont DVR pay for it? I was like DVR will to pay for it? Never heard. Anyone confirms it? I have to apply a DVR because I never had a DVR before.

By the way, I havent chance to get new hearing adis because they dont have my new earmoles yet until monday

LOL I had the same thought. "what? really? DVR will pay for it??" You don't have to apply but you just have to call to make an appointment with DVR. During your appointment - they will see if they can pay for 100% or not. It depends on several variables. They'll even pay for your tuition!

Call now to make appointment because in this time of bad economy.... there's no doubt that DVR's appointment book is probably full so call now. I had to wait 3 weeks.

I have a hearing aid, never use it. I prefer DEAF :deaf: as peaceful. No annoy noise. ;)

:confused: I have two hearing aids. I always use them. I prefer to not get run over by car or train as long as they work at all!:shock:

:confused: I have two hearing aids. I always use them. I prefer to not get run over by car or train as long as they work at all!:shock:

that's exactly how i felt when i had severe-profound loss and wore aids. my aids were the difference between hearing environmental sounds and not hearing them.

wow. if truth be told, you're lucky that medicare is paying anything at all for aids. i have medicare as a secondary insurer and they don't cover hearing aids. the only way i could receive hearing aids was to have them paid for by medicaid.

Some insurance pay for specific hearing aids for several reasons... brand loyalty, product review, cost, etc.

What would channel do? I notice one of the best hearing aids has like 10 channels. Mine has 4 channels, LMAO.

Back