I like to know your opinion

I prefer deaf but I don't mind if people label me hearing impaired etc as long they don't call me retarded or dumbie. :D

lol I am surprised that you don't know what Deaf mean, Deaf mean the cultural of the Deafness! While the deaf are the short scienific word for hearing impaired.

PROUDLY DEAF! ;)

I know what it means, I have run into capital "D" as in Deaf in real life.

Capital "D" do not associate much with hearing people, prefer deaf schools, their own language, and their culture, have a strong deaf identity, prefer to marry deaf person, not hearing person. They do judge other deaf people if they speak, read lips, or been raised oral, or have a cochlear implant.

Lowercase as in "deaf" do associate with the hearing people, raised and mainstreamed in public schools, prefers all key mode of communication tools.

Capital "D" do not associate much with hearing people, prefer deaf schools, their own language, and their culture, have a strong deaf identity, prefer to marry deaf person, not hearing person.

Lowercase as in "deaf" do associate with the hearing people, raised and mainstreamed in public schools, prefers all key mode of communication tools.

I consider myself to be capital D and so do many of my friends but many of us are married or dating to hearing spouses who know little or no sign language. Just letting you know. Maybe it is different in your area? :dunno:

My brother is probably the one of the strongest "D"eaf person I have ever known but he has worked in hearing environment, was engaged to a hearing girl and not any fault of his own was unable to develop oral skills no matter how hard he tried.

I consider myself to be capital D and so do many of my friends but many of us are married or dating to hearing spouses who know little or no sign language. Just letting you know. Maybe it is different in your area? :dunno:

My brother is probably the one of the strongest "D"eaf person I have ever known but he has worked in hearing environment, was engaged to a hearing girl and not any fault of his own was unable to develop oral skills no matter how hard he tried.

:gpost: You are exactly right on the nose. :giggle:

Maybe it is different in your area? :dunno:

Not only in my area, but I've seen the way some deaf people act at Gallaudet University. Remember when Jane Fernandes was chosen to be the President of Gallaudet and some people say that she was not deaf enough, because in fact she grew up being an oralist and learned sign later in her life.

Not only in my area, but I've seen the way some deaf people act at Gallaudet University. Remember when Jane Fernandes was chosen to be the President of Gallaudet and some people say that she was not deaf enough, because in fact she grew up being an oralist and learned sign later in her life.

I had a problem with that but then I dug deeper.. turned out that the media portrayed the whole thing wrong. They took some deaf people 's comments and made it into about that when it wasnt about it in the first place. I finally understood the whole protest and what it really stood for.

I remember I did post my complaints and objections about that issue here on AD when I first joined cuz I was so pissed off about some of the posts about her not being Deaf enough.

Remmy, I was faced with discrimination at Gally when I first entered there because I grew up orally and didnt sign fluenty in ASL? I almost gave up and quit Gally but my brother convinced me that those people are not the whole Deaf community and that they were idiots. So, I stuck it out and met some very wonderful and open minded Deaf people. My Deaf coworkers are like that which is why I am happy there.

Capital "D" do not associate much with hearing people, prefer deaf schools, their own language, and their culture, have a strong deaf identity, prefer to marry deaf person, not hearing person. They do judge other deaf people if they speak, read lips, or been raised oral, or have a cochlear implant.

Well let me make it clear.

Languages, culture, etc. use always capital, just like we do with "American", "Japan", "Germany", also that applies to a person, which are "American", "Japanese", German".

When rely on a person's body, it doesn't require capital, for example "black", "white", "colored skin", "blonde", "brunette", etc.

Also I know that most of Deaf schools do use the capital letter "D", like Washington School for the Deaf, Oregon School for the Deaf, Colorado School for the Deaf, etc etc. I never see something like "Washington School for the deaf".

The reason why hearies label us just "deaf" because they see Deafies just as they can't hear, they don't really see our cultural, languages, etc, except for ASL students.

Like you preached to us that we should not lump bad christians with other christians. It s same thing with Capital Deaf. These people include me are very proud of our deaf culture and will not tolerate people who try to deny us - AGB organization come to mind.

Like you preached to us that we should not lump bad christians with other christians.

Why do you always want to start drama, Beside what does Christians have to do with this thread?

Let's get back on topic please. Respect her thread. :)

I don't mind being called "deaf or hearing-impaired" it don't bother me. However, Deaf is still part of handicap. So I doubt they use the term handicap to deaf people as a label. As you know that the word "handicap" can means any type of disability a person have. Being a handicap deaf person is nothing to be "ashamed" of. :)

I don't mind being called deaf, Deaf with capital D, or hearing impaired...

Out of curiosity... why do some people hate it when they are being labelled "hearing impaired"? I am not trying to start any debates here... I just don't see how... Would love to hear your perspective. :)

The funny thing is... I HATE the word "handicap"- it just makes me sound like I'm crippled... That's just my opinion. I am not trying to say that handicap is crippled... It's just how I feel... So I prefer to be called disabled because that just seems more modern...

I've noticed that when I write on a front page for medical records or notification for my daugher's school... I would put a capital D as in Deaf

So I guess it shows I'd prefer Deaf as in capital D. I have always been an outsider in the deaf world because I don't know where I really fit in. I still don't. like Shel said, she had to deal with Gallaudet because of her oralism, I went thru the same thing. I grew up oral and knew very little sign. I learned alot from Gallaudet and out in the real world what its truely like to be in a Deaf World! I fell in love with it. But sadly, I have a hard time using full ASL. No matter how hard I try, I can't use ASL. but I like to be called Deaf.

No matter where we go. if they see a deaf person, they (not all) automatically thinks you're handicapped. When you're doing an application for housing, jobs, etc. You're automatically labeled as handicapped which sucks. I normally put no when they ask "are you disabled?" but they look at it and say... You're deaf right? I'm like yes but i don't consider myself handicapped. so no matter where you go.. you're going to be labeled many things.

facts for me.... I'll never fit anywhere in the hearing world or deaf world. I'm trapped in between. :(

Out of curiosity... why do some people hate it when they are being labelled "hearing impaired"? I am not trying to start any debates here... I just don't see how... Would love to hear your perspective. :)

The funny thing is... I HATE the word "handicap"- it just makes me sound like I'm crippled... That's just my opinion. I am not trying to say that handicap is crippled... It's just how I feel... So I prefer to be called disabled because that just seems more modern...

Yeah, I don't blame you how you feel just perfering to be called "disabled" sound a little bit better then saying "handicapped" . I guess for some of them are very sentive to that word "handicap or hearing impaired " and it probably makes them uncomfortable for some reasons. But I do agree with you.

That how I feel about "handicap". I rather anyone call me deaf. I am happy with it.

I'm D/deaf.... I wince when I hear "Hearing Imaired" and would educate them proper wordings. I don't like any other degrading terms such as deaf and dumb, deaf and mute and such such.

It is the word "impaired" as if I am unable to do something. It just sends a negative message to people like I am impaired and not fully functioning something. It bothers me.

Back