I just found out that I am HOH, and need some advice . . .

Helidore1983

Reaction score
Those of you who have seen my few posts know me as hearing, but now I have been officially diagnosed as hard of hearing, with a loss of 65 Db or however you say it.

Now, my question is, if I get hearing aids, what is the best way to go about getting some kind of financial aid, because I live on SSDI for other disabilities, and Medicare and Medicaid won't cover it because I am 23. I am getting ready to go to school next week and am really concerned about this, I think I will need them to do better, won't know until I start school though. I guess I could ask the teacher to talk louder until I can get one, lol. I have found numerous sites online about help, but a lot of the sites are aid to help children. I am just a little too old for that. I was told about the Lions club but was cautioned because they use really old hearing aids to give to clients.

Can anyone help? I am going to my local DRS dept on Friday to see if they will help me pay for them, as I am so young, I don't want to get something too crappy, even if I have to sell plasma or something, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Center?

Contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Center?
Yes, thats the DRS people, I am still looking for other options though in case they aren't willing to help me, because I am not sure they will. Thank you for your input!

Yes, thats the DRS people, I am still looking for other options though in case they aren't willing to help me, because I am not sure they will. Thank you for your input!

Oh ooops! Ha!

I am trying to think...I remember that there was a non-profit agency that gives free HAs to people but I remember that the waiting list is LONG!

Medicaid wont cover HAs?

When I still wore hearing aids, the local Lions club paid for one of my hearings aids. It's a worth a try.

Those of you who have seen my few posts know me as hearing, but now I have been officially diagnosed as hard of hearing, with a loss of 65 Db or however you say it.

Now, my question is, if I get hearing aids, what is the best way to go about getting some kind of financial aid, because I live on SSDI for other disabilities, and Medicare and Medicaid won't cover it because I am 23. I am getting ready to go to school next week and am really concerned about this, I think I will need them to do better, won't know until I start school though. I guess I could ask the teacher to talk louder until I can get one, lol. I have found numerous sites online about help, but a lot of the sites are aid to help children. I am just a little too old for that. I was told about the Lions club but was cautioned because they use really old hearing aids to give to clients.

Can anyone help? I am going to my local DRS dept on Friday to see if they will help me pay for them, as I am so young, I don't want to get something too crappy, even if I have to sell plasma or something, lol.

Thanks in advance!
Have you seen this site, there are various type of funding etc...

Sources Of Hearing Aid & Cochlear Implant Funding

DRS (Voc Rehab. as well) will cover it if you need it for school or work. Not just for personal. that's why they are called Vocational Rehab. as I have gotten mine paid for by for school/work back in the 90's

I wish . . .

Oh ooops! Ha!

I am trying to think...I remember that there was a non-profit agency that gives free HAs to people but I remember that the waiting list is LONG!

Medicaid wont cover HAs?

I live in Virginia, and around here, unless you are 21 and under, they won't, it really sucks because I am just 2 years over that limit. 23. :( But, I am very hopeful that DRS will help me since I am going back to school so that I can get OFF of disability.

Thanks!

I live in Virginia, and around here, unless you are 21 and under, they won't, it really sucks because I am just 2 years over that limit. 23. :( But, I am very hopeful that DRS will help me since I am going back to school so that I can get OFF of disability.

Thanks!

If u are going back to school then there shouldnt be a problem with getting HAs..it has been so long since I have used VR to get HAs and it was in AZ.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Thanks so much for all of your responses, this is helpful. I am going to check out some more websites, and DRS is who I talk to on Friday. I am nervous because the one thing I have always wanted to do is to help HOH-Deaf individuals, and now I AM hard of hearing. Wow. Maybe it will help me understand the field of interpreting better. Please keep giving me any ideas or suggestions you may have, and anyone wanting to IM me or email me, feel free to do that too.

Thanks!

If your college or university has a disabled student service program (which I assume they do), they will most likely provide FM systems on loan to qualified hard of hearing students. You might want to look into this as an option until you are able to receive funding for hearing aids. By the way, FYI...FM systems can be used with headphones until the time you receive your hearing aids. Hope this information helps! Good luck! :)

I agree with hear again that this is the best option for now, but in the mean time seriously look into VR and tell them your situation. They will send you for a hearing test first to see where exactly you fall and go from there. VR will pay for the ENT doc and the audiologist and possibly the HA if it is necessary.

Being HH doesnt necessarily mean you have to stop working with the deaf/HH community, but rather it may give you a new understanding of it once you start coming across the same obstacles and responses that we often get from people.

not to sound too preachy, but there is a reason for this, often it is a blessing in disguise.

I don't have any advice not being familiar with your system but just wanted to wish you all the best and hope that you are able to find an avenue to help you. I can't believe that people on low incomes still have to pay for their hearing aids where you live. It would make sense for the government to wear the cost for low income people as I am sure that the long term benefit (i.e. more incoming taxes, fewer social costs) would outweigh the cost.

Medicaid just paid for mine and I'm 29. I'm in NY so the rules may be different. I'm getting bilateral ha. I'd definetly contact your locad vocation rehabilitation and they do help.

mizerey is correct -- Medicaid rules differ from state to state. Medicaid paid for my last pair of hearing aids at age 25, so you may want to check for specific guidelines in your state.

FM system? Could you explain?

If your college or university has a disabled student service program (which I assume they do), they will most likely provide FM systems on loan to qualified hard of hearing students. You might want to look into this as an option until you are able to receive funding for hearing aids. By the way, FYI...FM systems can be used with headphones until the time you receive your hearing aids. Hope this information helps! Good luck! :)

Hi there, I am unfamiliar with this and could you tell me exactly how this works? I believe I saw it mentioned in my DSS handbook, and if I need it, I am sure it would be most helpful! Thank you for this information. :)

This could be true . . .

I agree with hear again that this is the best option for now, but in the mean time seriously look into VR and tell them your situation. They will send you for a hearing test first to see where exactly you fall and go from there. VR will pay for the ENT doc and the audiologist and possibly the HA if it is necessary.

Being HH doesnt necessarily mean you have to stop working with the deaf/HH community, but rather it may give you a new understanding of it once you start coming across the same obstacles and responses that we often get from people.

not to sound too preachy, but there is a reason for this, often it is a blessing in disguise.

Hey there, I totally agree with you, I am not mad about this, I saw this coming for a while now. I think there is a reason for it, as I believe that everything happens for a reason and has a purpose in our lives. I think it WILL help me to understand just what I want to pursue with my degree, and also help me to understand Deaf and HOH people and what they go through. I am actually slightly grateful. I have other disabilities that make me mad, so this one is just hard because of the financial strain, but I know all of you know how that is, and I am not complaining.

Thanks so much for your response, it is very inspirational.

Update . . .

I went to my DRS department today and they said that they think I am eligible for help, for school, which means that once I have my 2nd audiological exam on Tuesday, if the doc thinks I should try hearing aids, then I am thinking that DRS is going to help me get them.

Thanks for all of the great advice and information. I really appreaciate it.

One thing I am not sure about though, if someone can explain it, is the "FM Loop System" thingy. What exactly is that? My school offers it, I think, but I don't know what it is. I am supposed to have a meeting with my Disabled Student Services counselor on Wednesday to talk about this update in my record. I want to know what one of those things are in case I should ask about it.

Thanks again!

I went to my DRS department today and they said that they think I am eligible for help, for school, which means that once I have my 2nd audiological exam on Tuesday, if the doc thinks I should try hearing aids, then I am thinking that DRS is going to help me get them.

Thanks for all of the great advice and information. I really appreaciate it.

One thing I am not sure about though, if someone can explain it, is the "FM Loop System" thingy. What exactly is that? My school offers it, I think, but I don't know what it is. I am supposed to have a meeting with my Disabled Student Services counselor on Wednesday to talk about this update in my record. I want to know what one of those things are in case I should ask about it.

Thanks again!

First off, I sent you an im under my yahoo to be added, as you have a lot of questions.

Second, an fm system is used in the classroom for either hearing aids as a loudspeaker or a loop around your neck that the hearing aids pick up the sound. It's way cool and, the best part, if you've got a cell phone with a t-coil (programmed to use hearing aids), you don't have to have the cell up to your ear to hear, just nearby. The only time you have to pick up the cell is to speak into it.

For the Disability Services meeting, you will need a copy of your audiogram, as well as all information regarding your disabilties, doctor and audiologist information, the whole nine yards. You will obviously need note takers in ALL of your classes. Insist on it. Highly unlikely you won't, as universities don't want to be sued for ADA violations.

Thank you for the information, I actually don't think I need the note taker thing, I will see next week if for some reason I do, they do offer it, they use NCR notebooks for that, or the notetaker can copy their notes. I have issues with other peoples notes though, I like to take my own. I go to the audiologist for the final audiogram or whatever on Tuesday, and then I guess my doctor and I will go from there. They said thats when Medicare is going to cut me off. I saw that Medicare wants to cover cochlear implants though. Strange.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and when I get to my home I will check my IM on Yahoo. Our computer and cable modem got fried by this horrible storm the other night, so I am forced to use the library until then. LOL. Thanks so much!

Back