I hope this is the right thread to post

Deb1hd

Reaction score
Ive been searching but haven't been able to find my answers anywhere. Ive only used a cart one time and that was in court ..
I have a 7 year old that I am guardian over... She is severe ADHD. Im currently trying to get her 504 turned into an IEP at school..
She hears fine..
I am profound hearing loss...
Am I entitled to have a Interpreter at the meetings with the school over her?
If I am are they responsible to provide the terp.
If they are responsible how do i go about getting one... do I ask the school... do i go to the school board.
I am really lost on this one. could use some help.

Ive been searching but haven't been able to find my answers anywhere. Ive only used a cart one time and that was in court ..
I have a 7 year old that I am guardian over... She is severe ADHD. Im currently trying to get her 504 turned into an IEP at school..
She hears fine..
If they are responsible how do i go about getting one... do I ask the school... do i go to the school board.

As a starting point, you should request an interpreter from the party that is convening this meeting.

She hears fine..

Yes, you are entitled to a terp, and yes, the school system is responsible for providing and paying for the terp.

Request the terp from the administration at her school. If they give you a hard time, go to the superintendant of the district.

Yes, you are entitled to an interpreter.

It's the responsibility of the school to provide and pay for the interpreter.

However, if they seem clueless about finding an appropriate interpreter for you, and you know of an interpreter that you would prefer, let them know about your preference, and provide them with contact information. Then, let them make the arrangements. Try to give them as much lead time as possible.

If there are any billing problems, let the school and the terp fight it out.

p.s.
Be careful if they suggest using one of their "educational interpreters" from the school. Some are qualified and can maintain a neutral attitude but some . . .

Well, just be careful. :)

Yes, you are entitled to an interpreter.

It's the responsibility of the school to provide and pay for the interpreter.

However, if they seem clueless about finding an appropriate interpreter for you, and you know of an interpreter that you would prefer, let them know about your preference, and provide them with contact information. Then, let them make the arrangements. Try to give them as much lead time as possible.

If there are any billing problems, let the school and the terp fight it out.

p.s.
Be careful if they suggest using one of their "educational interpreters" from the school. Some are qualified and can maintain a neutral attitude but some . . .

Well, just be careful. :)

Oh, agreed!! Need an outside terp to represent the parent.

From a perspective of a Hearie parent of a child with major learning disabilities. Those meetings are horribly confusing. It's all great when you get a copy of everything on the IEP. But if you don't agree with what is put down you are going to have to go to more meetings to change it. A HUGE HASSLE. Ya need to stand up now for your rights so you know during the meeting what is going on so nothing is left to chance.

Those meetings are horribly confusing. It's all great when you get a copy of everything on the IEP. But if you don't agree with what is put down you are going to have to go to more meetings to change it. A HUGE HASSLE. Ya need to stand up now for your rights so you know during the meeting what is going on so nothing is left to chance.
Yes. One thing I would do is maybe contact something like ARC or UCP, and see if they might have an advocate or something. ARC and UCP both help with more milder nerological issues (ie mild CP, ADD and LDs)

Good luck turning your 504 into an IEP. The school may try to resist to save themselves funding and whatnot, but keep fighting!

And yes, the school should provide a terp upon request.

Thanks again everyone..
I did not have any luck turning the the 504 into an IEP... So now it is time to fight. WE go back and try again in March and I want to be ready for them this time. Everyone at the school is in agreement with me... its the other committee.. I guess from the school board. they said she is doing to good for an IEP.. She is doing good because of all the help she gets at home..( I have worked hard to keep her at grade level). I have a tutor teacher teaching her at home after school. And she is on decent meds right now. which she is already showing signs that it will have to be changed again shortly.( been changed about 12 times this past year. The good ones usually only last about 3 months. I would take her off her meds all together and send her to school. But I couldn't do that to HER. Her life is a roller coaster ride. I know that she is Bi polar but the doctors around here won't diagnose her because they say she is to young.. but she is on bi polar meds right now.

Thanks again everyone..
I did not have any luck turning the the 504 into an IEP... So now it is time to fight. WE go back and try again in March and I want to be ready for them this time. Everyone at the school is in agreement with me... its the other committee.. I guess from the school board. they said she is doing to good for an IEP.. She is doing good because of all the help she gets at home..( I have worked hard to keep her at grade level). I have a tutor teacher teaching her at home after school. And she is on decent meds right now. which she is already showing signs that it will have to be changed again shortly.( been changed about 12 times this past year. The good ones usually only last about 3 months. I would take her off her meds all together and send her to school. But I couldn't do that to HER. Her life is a roller coaster ride. I know that she is Bi polar but the doctors around here won't diagnose her because they say she is to young.. but she is on bi polar meds right now.

Take all the documentation you can put your hands on, and pull research off the net to support your position. If you are familiar with any experts that could testify at the meeting on your child's behalf, ask them to be there. And keep every copy of anything the school has on record.

These fights can be frustrating, but they are well worth anything you go through. Your child's best interest is at stake.

I know that she is Bi polar but the doctors around here won't diagnose her because they say she is to young.. but she is on bi polar meds right now.
http://www.bpkids.org/...lots of good info!
That does really suck that she's in a public program but has bipolar.....Most BD kids tend to be ADD or around middle school, there's an explosion of the type of kids who end up in alternative schools or drug and alchohol issues. One of my friends had depression as a teen, and was in and out of mental insistutions. Most of the other kids in mental insistutions were either addicts or had drinking issues

http://www.bpkids.org/...lots of good info!
That does really suck that she's in a public program but has bipolar.....Most BD kids tend to be ADD or around middle school, there's an explosion of the type of kids who end up in alternative schools or drug and alchohol issues. One of my friends had depression as a teen, and was in and out of mental insistutions. Most of the other kids in mental insistutions were either addicts or had drinking issues

Until recently, a child was never diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder of either type. Most children that manifest bipolar sx are dx'ed with conduct disorders.

I can't seem to get her the help that she needs on a 504. That is why I'm trying to get it switch to an IEP. The school accused me of over medicating her. So I changed her meds again and she went ballistic on them. I ended up having to have her home schooled for a week until I could get her stabilized again. I feel like I'm doing everything that I can on my part to help her and I'm doing there part to. I don't feel like she is learning anything at school. Of Course they disagree. I can't even get them to make sure she brings home her homework.. About 2 to three days a week I'm up there getting it. It's just a long story with alot of ups and downs... They told me the other day that they did not have to go by the phychiatrist note saying she need the extra help. I said how can you not take that into consideration when she has been seeing her on a biweekly or monthly basis for over a year. Right now she is dianoised as severe ADHD by compulstivity with torrettes..

I can't seem to get her the help that she needs on a 504. That is why I'm trying to get it switch to an IEP. The school accused me of over medicating her. So I changed her meds again and she went ballistic on them. I ended up having to have her home schooled for a week until I could get her stabilized again. I feel like I'm doing everything that I can on my part to help her and I'm doing there part to. I don't feel like she is learning anything at school. Of Course they disagree. I can't even get them to make sure she brings home her homework.. About 2 to three days a week I'm up there getting it. It's just a long story with alot of ups and downs... They told me the other day that they did not have to go by the phychiatrist note saying she need the extra help. I said how can you not take that into consideration when she has been seeing her on a biweekly or monthly basis for over a year. Right now she is dianoised as severe ADHD by compulstivity with torrettes..

It sounds like you must be overwhelmed with all you have on your plate, so thanks for sharing your story and giving us some of the leftovers to work with. I actually have personal experience with a case of needing a IEP instead of a 504. Like I mentioned earlier, this is going to be an uphill battle. But don't let that deter you from fighting to get what your daughter needs because it is possible. The schools often will make you want to quit going head to head with them by continuously giving you roadblocks. In my own journey with getting the IEP, I found the school would send me on a goose chases for "valid documentation". What's more is they would take an increment of fact and stretch it far enough to seemingly fit their agenda's logic. I'd like to pat them on the back for using creative logic, but that's something lawyers should be commended for- not an institution of knowledge. My personal advice is to be diligent (which it sounds like you are), but also keep calm and don't lose sight of the goal. An educational advocate really will speed the process along. Don't shy away from getting as many people involved to help you as possible. The bigger the army- the better! Your daughter will thank you later because no child deserves to get left behind.

/rant.

welp, there's a storybook. =X

Back