I have tiny problem

overthepond

Reaction score
With my CI.
It seems that environmental sounds are too loud for me all of sudden since my last map 6 weeks ago, I am now on quieter program, i still can hear my dog walking on tiles, computer tapping, the clicking of changing pages on computer but find the voices too soft/muffled. Audi and i had agreed not to change map 2 weeks ago as i didn't like the new programs (too raspy)

What do you reckon? any advice much appericated.

Charlotte,

It sounds (no pun intended) like you're having problems with recruitment like I'm currently having. I would contact your audi for a new map. You might want to create a softer map for times when you are overly sensitive to sound. This is what I plan to do when I see my audi for testing on April 9th.

Charlotte,

In the meantime, I would turn down sensitivity on your CI.

Sorry, sensitvity is down to one. did you feel anything around eardrum.. like pressure but with sounds...

Charlotte,

Yes, I experience that as well. It's as if my ears are congested, but I don't have a cold.

With my CI.
It seems that environmental sounds are too loud for me all of sudden since my last map 6 weeks ago, I am now on quieter program, i still can hear my dog walking on tiles, computer tapping, the clicking of changing pages on computer but find the voices too soft/muffled. Audi and i had agreed not to change map 2 weeks ago as i didn't like the new programs (too raspy)

What do you reckon? any advice much appericated.
Bummer Charlotte. Sounds only slightly different from me right now. Had my first real mapping Thursday and some sounds are super loud while others are soft and muffled. I think I will have to go back for a new mapping session. But, that is me, not you. Perhaps a call to your audi is in order? That is one great thing about CI's...always a way to redo and tweak.

But more importantly, it pretty critical to have a really good audiologist from what I've learned over the years...

But more importantly, it pretty critical to have a really good audiologist from what I've learned over the years...

Yeah..still not sure how much I trust mine, but not sure I have a choice given my insurance and who they will have access too. (Tricare Prime, military insurance). My audi is fairly new, but at times seems to have a head on her shoulders..other times, not so sure.

I don't know how CIs work, but does it have more than one mapping?

I wear a digital BTE hearing aid and it comes with 3 settings... enhanced, crowd enhanced, and MTV. Enhanced is where static and feedback sounds are reduced/eliminated and regular sounds are increased. Crowd enhanced is where background noise is reduced greatly and focused sound (from in front of you) is increased. MTV is where there's no anti-feedback. MTV is music-television. Since music and television is often seen as feedback and static from the enhanced mode, it is reduced. If I want to enjoy music fully, I use MTV mode. :)

I get occasional off the wall strong sound sensations, though it eventually returns to a normal level. Have you had any rough experiences with youur hheead recently? (ie agressive hair washing, head bump, sudden loud sound, etc)

Thanks everyone,

Tousi. I have very good audi, i had her since day one. I am on email to her at this minute, i would hear from her by end of this evening. Usually she sees me one or two days time.

Vampy, I have 4 different programs = 4 different maps. I am on the quiet one as my usual one is the one i am having problems, the rest of maps are ipod/autosensivity for that program so therefore i am only able to use one program.

S.O.B, thats good points.... I had hair cut on fri, they did head massage (normally i asked them not do it) and yesterday i was at family do, my implant/processor is on the right side and it's natrual to hug right sided, when my family hug me hello/goodbye i found it bit painful (they do squeeze hard!!). I would have to learn to hug left sided.

Right.... new mapping sesssion it is... groans!!! LOL...

:hug: Charlotte... since that's all I can do ;)

keep us posted about how you're doing...

Jamie

Thanks JL, (((hugs back))) managed okay today i was using my normal Program outside all day but back inside i had to go back to quieter program, still waiting for email from Audi. I am having communcation problem with work collegue, i can't seem to understand him at all (i know him for 5 years!!! and we get on great) seems that the words are sounding distorted bit like having loudspeaker right into your ear. I do have tenderness around the back the ear.. possible slight trauma from too many hard hugs from my relatives.

Charlotte,

Wow, your family is a big hugging group <giggle>.

Before joining this board I never thought people could have so many troubles with their ha's or ic's. Boy that's so confusing me. Ok, I don't understand most of the jargon either (when you talk about decibel, levels, sensitivity, maps, etc...) but still enough to understand that is hard to figure out what the problem is the person actually has. It makes me feel sad to see so many people having different kind of problems to the ear (Know what I mean?) <shrug>

Hope your audi will figure out soon what is going on... <smile>

I hope your work colleague doesn't bother you too much since communication isn't flowing as much as usual...

<hug> Jamie

Yeah we are close family. My dad's one of 6!!

It's ok that you don't know much about HA's CI's and all those jargon, I appericate you being there thats matters. Any question just ask.

My collegue would live, he'll just have to put up with me saying pardon pardon pardon.... Bless him.

It's ok that you don't know much about HA's CI's and all those jargon, I appericate you being there thats matters. Any question just ask.

My collegue would live, he'll just have to put up with me saying pardon pardon pardon.... Bless him.

Thanks for putting up with me :D I'm learning bit by bit... not ALL of it but at least I understand so many things much better!

And regarding your colleague: I guess you owe him a cookie :roll: it will make him smile if you do that. I tend to do this with some of my colleagues too because I am a chatter-box :giggle: They can't work because I keep babbling away... :roll: - it's a cute way of apologizing... nothing biggie

Jamie

Back