I have some questions after reading this CI blog.

CI centers are not grabbing random people off the streets and implanting them. You seem to think the criteria is that lenient.
On the other hand.....I'm pro CI. I think the CI is awesome for those who have clearly maxed out or who aren't getting all that much info from HA. Heck its great for those with recruitment and tintituas However it does seem with the loosening of eligibilty, there's been some Oh lets forget about fiddling with HA. CI CI is THE ANSWER!!!!
Some of us chose CIs because we wanted more and clearer sounds. We wanted better access to speech and to be less reliant on lip reading. I'm sorry but lipreading is tiring and not always possible. Louder (more gain) is not always better in terms of clarity and Pain.
On the other hand........people tend to forget that even hearing people read lips.

On the other hand.....I'm pro CI. I think the CI is awesome for those who have clearly maxed out or who aren't getting all that much info from HA. Heck its great for those with recruitment and tintituas However it does seem with the loosening of eligibilty, there's been some Oh lets forget about fiddling with HA. CI CI is THE ANSWER!!!!
On the other hand........people tend to forget that even hearing people read lips.

I don`t read lips. At all. Ever. I understand what is being said just as easily from behind me as looking me in the eyes. It is not true that hearing people routinely read lips. You are mistaken.

Mod note:

Let's cool it down please okay? There's no need to attack other's view on the issue. Please debate in a nice, respectful manner.

Thank you.

Shel90, this thread isn't actually about analyzing cochlear implants and CI results. DD is asking questions about analyzing audiograms and hearing aid responses. DD posted some questions directed at me, some specific to Li-Li's audiogram.

Hi Grendel, I posted a long reply(post #10) with more questions in response to your answers. Ive been reading alot of articles on Google but those articles haven't answered most of my questions. The articles just go on to say that the worse your hearing, the less benefit one would derive from HAs. That is something I already know. I did find another article that shows more amplification improves speech and ability to hear more sounds but it didn't explain in depth. I want to thank you for your time answering.

I do find lipreading very tiring though because of the conteration i had to consantly look at all sorts of lip pattens, facial types, body language and new people for 10-18 hours a day, at the same time doing your daily tasks. That by the end of the day i was absolutely exhausted. With the CI i still rely on lipreading but it had been easier since.
Out of 100's of hearing people I know that can lipread easily are my mum, brother and my friend Andy thats all... along with deaf friends.
I worked in corporate and often sail out in most all sort of weathers (from flat calm with little breeze to gales) with people from all walks of life, most/nearly all of them cannot lipread, they keep saying "i can't hear, or I don't understand (me or skipper)"
Last night at festivel in london (loud music from all corners) the bar men cannot lipread at all! they keep saying " pardon" "pardon" they always lean over to you to listen, it goes to same with almost alot of pubs i go to... So not majorty of hearing people can lipread

Half of people at CI centre (mostly late deafen) cannot lipread at all.

I too find lipreading really tiring. I come home from uni sometimes feeling absolutely exhausted, and unfit to do further studying in the evening, a definite disadvantage over hearing students, I think. I don't know any hearing students who find it necessary to lipread the lecturers!

Even with an fm system it's still necessary to lipread and even then you don't always get it right.

Well I want to put my 2 cents in :

I had HA for a LONG time ( other ear was deaf ) and I was lipreading a lot..I used to be asleep by 10 pm.talk about tired.

The first few months of CI was the same and even harder at the start , because my brain had to figure it out! Also had to get used to a new sensation.

Now I find I can function without lipreading all the time , I even can do a side lipreading ie my mom talks while driving and I can figure out what she says , I just kinda 'verify' it via side lipreading . She doesn't looks to me unless I don't get one particular word.I'm more relaxed and more confident.I also can carry simple convos in the dark.I'm happy with my CI and I like to follow it on the web to be informed.

So deafdyke , pardon me , but you shouldn't go and analyze everything .Everyone is different.And everyone takes his decision.

Even if I wanted to try out more powerful HA's it would be a waste because here the trials are an unknown entity.And my aid was pretty powerful anyway.

Probably why everyone gets implanted is because CI's are more raised in awareness and they feel ready as the technology HAS evolved a lot.

Overthepond is right, I'm one of people that can not lipread if my life depends on it lol. I've tried, I even took lipreading therapy for few months but I failed it so they ended the therapy, and ironic part is that when I got my CI it helped me lipread so much better that its 80% correct with sentence at 3 month post activation.
its just like some people have different way to learn like some is visual learner, some is listening learner, some is action/tactile learner I'm obviously auditory learner when it come to understanding hearing people speaking to me.
Everyone different period.

I don`t read lips. At all. Ever. I understand what is being said just as easily from behind me as looking me in the eyes. It is not true that hearing people routinely read lips. You are mistaken.
No. There ARE sounds that can only be differentated by "lipreading"
Hearing people do read lips.......they just don't realize they are doing it.
I know there's a huge range of lipreading abilty out there.......
I'm not saying that hearies or even all deafies can do the Sue Thomas FB Eye thing......Heck even most talented lipreaders can't get a lot of info exclusively from just reading lips.....Speechreading is so much more then that.
To say you can't speechread would be to say that you can't interpret facial expressions etc....granted speechreading abilty varies hugely, and not everyone can do it.

No. There ARE sounds that can only be differentated by "lipreading"
Hearing people do read lips.......they just don't realize they are doing it.
I know there's a huge range of lipreading abilty out there.......
I'm not saying that hearies or even all deafies can do the Sue Thomas FB Eye thing......Heck even most talented lipreaders can't get a lot of info exclusively from just reading lips.....Speechreading is so much more then that.
To say you can't speechread would be to say that you can't interpret facial expressions etc....granted speechreading abilty varies hugely, and not everyone can do it.

No, you are wrong. Each speech sound is different. A person can discriminate all the sounds of spoken language through audition alone. There is absolutly no two spoken words that I can not hear the difference between (assuming they are phonetically different in some way). You are completely wrong on this one.

I already have a thread on lipreading. Let's keep this thread on topic. Ive been reading more articles but still have alot of unanswered questions, see my earlier posts.

You choose not to listen to the answers.

Research shows that if your speech discrimination is less than 50%, you will get improvement with a CI.

Back