i have small question about cc!!!

ILoveTarget

Reaction score
i live in boarding house and we have tv in common room but people not like cc so i get free tv off of freecycle!!!!! i very happy! i use antenna because my room does not have cable. but i can't find how to put cc on this tv. if i buy cable can i buy cc through the cable company? do all tvs have cc? this old tv but it still works very good. thank you for your help!!! :wave:

If the television was made after 1990 or 1991, it should have closed captioning included.

Are there always people in the common room? Is there only one television?

If you were the first to use the television, then you have rights to what you want to watch. If it still is a problem, why not talk to the others who live there? Tell them of your needs. Set up a schedule of when you can have your own time to watch your shows captioned and when it's their time. :)

hi! thank you for respond! the tv made in 1980's. so that mean no cc? there is only one tv in common room. and lots of people in common room. sometimes late at night i can watch tv with cc. i will try to write a note to the others. my speach not good so hard to communicate with them. but i will write a note and leave in common room. i still like to watch my tv without cc. i like to watch sports so i dont need cc for that. and i save money for dvd player to connect to my tv. if i buy dvd player will the tv have cc from dvd player or no because it made before 1990? cc so confuse me. thank you for take time to advice me!

1993 is the year that CC became required in all TV's. You might be able to buy an old decoder but I would recommend you look on Freecycle for a newer TV. You could even post a "wanted" ad for it, just explain it has to have CC.

thank you etoile!! i post wanted ad. i hope i get one soon. but if i dont i just watch this one without cc!!

You can get an old television from a thrift shop, but I gotta warn you... you will need a digital-to-analog converter because they will stop broadcasting analog signals next month.

thank you vampyrox you always help me!!! how much is the digital-to-analog converter? and can i get it at target?

can you buy a TV at Wal-Mart? The prices are going down to make up for holidays's losses sales.

hi duray thank you for post. i find this one online. Walmart.com: 13" Television with Digital Tuner and Remote Control, Pink/White: Kids' Electronics do i need converter if i buy that one? i can save my money and buy in few weeks.

No, you do not have to buy a converter cause it already has Digital Tuner built in as you can see that I got it in bold. That is all that you need when the change is made in February.

If you do want to test it, the digital is already being used. I use digital instead of analog cause it comes in clearer.

This is what I have:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9871271

It has been a good TV with DVD player built in except for one thing, the closed captioning doesn't show up if using the DVD player. If you have any DVD without subtitle, then it won't show what they are saying. It does show captioning when watching tv.

thank you for helping me i will get the one you have because it better price with dvd player!

thank you again!!!

thank you for helping me i will get the one you have because it better price with dvd player!

thank you again!!!

I warn you that newer DVD player not support CC now. I got several different DVD Players and cannot get it work and I decided to call company and told me that they removed signal from inside the player. I said why, they think it not really useful so I checked FCC that control the electronic devices and I cannot find the rule against this. Our luck ran out.

I warn you that newer DVD player not support CC now. I got several different DVD Players and cannot get it work and I decided to call company and told me that they removed signal from inside the player. I said why, they think it not really useful so I checked FCC that control the electronic devices and I cannot find the rule against this. Our luck ran out.

DVD players has never had CC decoders. It is the TV that has decoders.

The only thing is on my tv that I showed to Ilovetarget is the tv doesn't decode from DVD since it is internal. For some reason, they didn't design it to work coming from internal DVD players. However when I connected the external DVD players to this same tv, the CC worked.

The only thing is on my tv that I showed to Ilovetarget is the tv doesn't decode from DVD since it is internal. For some reason, they didn't design it to work coming from internal DVD players. However when I connected the external DVD players to this same tv, the CC worked.

Subtitles, even though they may not be closed captioning per-say, are on the disc its self and nothing really needs to be decoded like with closed captioning that's comes in through an over the air signal or whatever else. I suspect that's why most dvd players do not have decoders built in.

I actually prefer the subtitles myself. Subtitles tend to be more accurate then closed captioning. They are direct translations of what is being said. I think they just look much nicer too as they are over-layed onto the picture and not decoded in a black box or whatever.

I have discovered too that on a lot of dvds the closed captioning is actually subtitles. They just put in a menu that says closed captioning but you are actually getting subtitles.

Here is an interesting site I found on subtitles and closed-captioning with dvds.

http://www.allformp3.com/dvd-faqs/145.htm

Blu-ray disc uses SDH subtitles as the sole method as the discs cannot carry Line 21 closed captions to the design of HDMI specifications that were designed to replace older analog and digital standards for HDTV.

All of external DVD players not support CC. I just did.

Subtitles, even though they may not be closed captioning per-say, are on the disc its self and nothing really needs to be decoded like with closed captioning that's comes in through an over the air signal or whatever else. I suspect that's why most dvd players do not have decoders built in.

I actually prefer the subtitles myself. Subtitles tend to be more accurate then closed captioning. They are direct translations of what is being said. I think they just look much nicer too as they are over-layed onto the picture and not decoded in a black box or whatever.

I have discovered too that on a lot of dvds the closed captioning is actually subtitles. They just put in a menu that says closed captioning but you are actually getting subtitles.

Here is an interesting site I found on subtitles and closed-captioning with dvds.

What's the difference between Closed Captions and subtitles? - DVD FAQs, DVD Glossary

Geez! come on! Newer TV have new figures which you can custom your own CC even with or without blackbox also outline. Now only work for TV cause thank to that stupid HDMI and DVD or Blu-Ray Players. I dislike subtitle on DVD but much better on Blu-Ray.

Back