I have questions for deaf people who goes or went to colleges

:ty:

I have no regrets going to ASU nor going to Gally. I probably wouldnt have survived at Gallaudet if I went there directly after high school because I was in denial about my deafness and didnt know ASL. With that attitude, for sure I would have been bullied big time at Gallaudet. It is sad that some people continue that behavior into college but it happens...

I heard that pretty often from many deaf people who went to Gallaudet. Glad you got that figured out before too late for you.

I heard that pretty often from many deaf people who went to Gallaudet. Glad you got that figured out before too late for you.

Well...when the Gally rep came to my high school school to tell us about Gally. He said it was an university for the Deaf..right away, I was like "No way..dont need a special ed school." I had a very very bad and audist attidue against ASL and Deaf culture. What did I know?

Well...when the Gally rep came to my high school school to tell us about Gally. He said it was an university for the Deaf..right away, I was like "No way..dont need a special ed school." I had a very very bad and audist attidue against ASL and Deaf culture. What did I know?

Awww Sorry to hear that. :( Glad you changed your attitude toward to ASL and Deaf culture. :)

Awww Sorry to hear that. :( Glad you changed your attitude toward to ASL and Deaf culture. :)

Yes I did! For the first time, I found true happiness. I couldnt believe how blind I was growing up but that was due to everyone telling me that I didnt need sign language and that I was too smart for it. No wonder..

Anyways, I know some deaf people that go to Gallaudet for their BA, MA and even PhD degrees..to me, I wouldnt do that. Would rather have a variety.

Yes I did! For the first time, I found true happiness. I couldnt believe how blind I was growing up but that was due to everyone telling me that I didnt need sign language and that I was too smart for it. No wonder..

Anyways, I know some deaf people that go to Gallaudet for their BA, MA and even PhD degrees..to me, I wouldnt do that. Would rather have a variety.

I understand.

I agree with you about have a variety of degrees from different schools. Many companies will not hire people that got all same degrees from one school because they figured that they are not up for challenges or risk-takers. Also companies will not impressed with people if they go to school in their hometown. They prefer to hire people with passions and lived in more than several places and attended out of state college.

I never knew about those schools in my time since I was mainstreamed and went to a hearing high school so you will figured out why I didn't know about these schools... I continued onto college in the late 80's then after 20 some years, I'm starting to go back to school online course at a local university for Medical Science..Good thing, I've watched many hours of Health Discovery shows, Medical Incredible, MedStudents, Maternity shows. SO right now I'm doing Medical Terminology oh my god.... it's a good CHALLENGE... lol... anyone here took any Medical Courses??? as next I'm gonna be doing Medical Mathematic so do any of you have any tips how to study hahaha just kidding, I'm rusty lol.. smile...

it just not just Gally is like that, there's many hearing school are like that... so really some friends I know that are Gally graduates that I know of are the same level as in high schools honor roll... just from what I was told from a girlfriend of mine, she HOH and was on the honor roll at hearing high school and decide to go to Gally, well first year it was like she was going back to grade 11 and decide to withdraw and go to Alberta University to become a Physiotherapist... AWESOME!!! (don't kick me if I'm wrong about this as this was from a former gally student, I just believe challenges with high expectation is the way to go).... smile...

it happens to everyone, no wrong or right to know or do... even till today. I do think that NTID/RID has a higher expectation of students entering that school ... I wish I've known about RID in my time since I'm like 3 hours drive from there.. but nothing is stopping me from going there one day which I can't at the moment as I have a great job that pays my bills lol..

:ty:

I have no regrets going to ASU nor going to Gally. I probably wouldnt have survived at Gallaudet if I went there directly after high school because I was in denial about my deafness and didnt know ASL. With that attitude, for sure I would have been bullied big time at Gallaudet. It is sad that some people continue that behavior into college but it happens...

wow, you and I came from the same cloth smile.... I was in denial till in my college years ... wow and didn't even know ASL either, we can't even predict what our future holds until we come to that bridge gracefully. I'm graceful to have the best of both world today... I like the balance!!! Yeah I totally agree with you in regards to the behaviours today is not like our time we worked hard to get our education whereas people just want to go there to party and use our taxpayers money .... I know from through friends from here told me that's all they went for is to party, I could have SHOOT them!!! lol.. what can you do, right now they are having trouble finding jobs, well you blew it Buddy!!! "yesterday is history, today is a blessing, tomorrow is a mystery" smile...

i'm profoundly deaf with a CI and was raised orally. i'm currently attending UCLA now. i totally agree with your post. it's come to my attention that big universities like UCLA (with a population of close to 35,000 students) do not have that many deaf students as i hope they would have. it seems like all the deaf people rather attend RIT/NTID, Gally, or CSUN mainly for social reasons and their Deaf pride in their culture. i think part of the problem is that those who end up at the deaf colleges are not that academically challenged enough to go to mainstream colleges. not only that, but if you only sign, you might find yourself having a difficult time making hearing friends there. and i completely understand that. they may find themselves feeling isolated and aloof from everyone else, because college is supposed to be a positive memorable experience in your life and all.

i was pretty much mainstreamed throughout my life, so i was well adapted to the hearing world. i then matriculated to UCLA. from personal experience, socially, initially i had a hard time making friends, but thanks to my good oral and listening skills, i gradually managed to do so, but it wasn't easy. i don't regret my decision to go to UCLA at all. it's an awesome school with a superior and excellent education. hell, it's tough, but i'm surviving. i just wish that more deaf people would apply to and attend public universities like these. the services that UCLA (and i'm sure other universities) provide me is great. they try to do anything they can to accomodate my needs.

for those that attend deaf colleges, like the three major ones, i've always wondered since they surround themselves with mostly with deaf people, how do they interact with their hearing peers once they get into the work force in the dominant hearing society? that's the downside to attending deaf colleges. whereas, if you go to a mainstream university, you learn how to interact with hearing people and all which is a positive thing.

i'm profoundly deaf with a CI and was raised orally. i'm currently attending UCLA now. i totally agree with your post. it's come to my attention that big universities like UCLA (with a population of close to 35,000 students) do not have that many deaf students as i hope they would have. it seems like all the deaf people rather attend RIT/NTID, Gally, or CSUN mainly for social reasons and their Deaf pride in their culture. i think part of the problem is that those who end up at the deaf colleges are not that academically challenged enough to go to mainstream colleges. not only that, but if you only sign, you might find yourself having a difficult time making hearing friends there. and i completely understand that. they may find themselves feeling isolated and aloof from everyone else, because college is supposed to be a positive memorable experience in your life and all.

i was pretty much mainstreamed throughout my life, so i was well adapted to the hearing world. i then matriculated to UCLA. from personal experience, socially, initially i had a hard time making friends, but thanks to my good oral and listening skills, i gradually managed to do so, but it wasn't easy. i don't regret my decision to go to UCLA at all. it's an awesome school with a superior and excellent education. hell, it's tough, but i'm surviving. i just wish that more deaf people would apply to and attend public universities like these. the services that UCLA (and i'm sure other universities) provide me is great. they try to do anything they can to accomodate my needs.

for those that attend deaf colleges, like the three major ones, i've always wondered since they surround themselves with mostly with deaf people, how do they interact with their hearing peers once they get into the work force in the dominant hearing society? that's the downside to attending deaf colleges. whereas, if you go to a mainstream university, you learn how to interact with hearing people and all which is a positive thing.

Gallaudet grad programs accept hearing people so deaf people do interact with hearing people at some point and if deaf people want to go to deaf colleges, it is their business. Nothing wrong with surrounding oneselve with mostly deaf people..I do that and I am happy. Isnt that what it is all about? Happiness?

wow, you and I came from the same cloth smile.... I was in denial till in my college years ... wow and didn't even know ASL either, we can't even predict what our future holds until we come to that bridge gracefully. I'm graceful to have the best of both world today... I like the balance!!! Yeah I totally agree with you in regards to the behaviours today is not like our time we worked hard to get our education whereas people just want to go there to party and use our taxpayers money .... I know from through friends from here told me that's all they went for is to party, I could have SHOOT them!!! lol.. what can you do, right now they are having trouble finding jobs, well you blew it Buddy!!! "yesterday is history, today is a blessing, tomorrow is a mystery" smile...

Not just at Gallaudet that people party too much...ASU is known as one of the top party colleges. Hearing people do the same too. Also, there are many serious students at Gallaudet that arent interested in partying so Gallaudet is just like any other college

As for Gallaudet lowering the level of education...I cant see that cuz my brother didnt pass his college entrance exams for English and he had to take remedial English before he could take English 101. Also, I roomed with my brother while we were both going to Gallaudet and he brought home a lot of homework daily so....:hmm:

When I was senior, I was thinking about going to NTID. My "2nd Mom" told me go to Gallaudet. It was the best college for you and more challanged to meet alot of Deaf ppl from all over USA. I was like gullible (sp?) and applied for Gallaudet and accept. So I went and I wasn't happy with the education, it was like high school courses. I left Feb 88. I went back home and enrolled community college. I realized that hearing college is better for me than deaf college. I hadn't learn much at Gallaudet. BUT one thing is social life was wonderful. People were so cool, too sad that I left bec of the education.

I thought maybe enroll NTID later. I decided I visited my friends during Spring break. My friend took me to her classes and realized it wasn't for me. Too easy like HS classes. I was glad that I didnt enter NTID.

Anyway, I finish community college with AA degree. I realized that hearing college is more challanged then deaf colleges. Tough classes, yes its worth it of my time. They met my needing in college. They have interpreters, notetakers, tutors, etc. They are wonderful college.

When I was senior, I was thinking about going to NTID. My "2nd Mom" told me go to Gallaudet. It was the best college for you and more challanged to meet alot of Deaf ppl from all over USA. I was like gullible (sp?) and applied for Gallaudet and accept. So I went and I wasn't happy with the education, it was like high school courses. I left Feb 88. I went back home and enrolled community college. I realized that hearing college is better for me than deaf college. I hadn't learn much at Gallaudet. BUT one thing is social life was wonderful. People were so cool, too sad that I left bec of the education.

I thought maybe enroll NTID later. I decided I visited my friends during Spring break. My friend took me to her classes and realized it wasn't for me. Too easy like HS classes. I was glad that I didnt enter NTID.

Anyway, I finish community college with AA degree. I realized that hearing college is more challanged then deaf colleges. Tough classes, yes its worth it of my time. They met my needing in college. They have interpreters, notetakers, tutors, etc. They are wonderful college.

Someone told me that back in the 80s, Gallaudet classes were made to be easy cuz of the previous president or something and that in the 90s, everything was revamped to improve the quality of education. Dont know if it is true but my brother said some classes were too easy while others were challenging. Guess it depends on the professors. For me, I found my grad classes at Gally were very challenging and I learned a lot.

Someone told me that back in the 80s, Gallaudet classes were made to be easy cuz of the previous president or something and that in the 90s, everything was revamped to improve the quality of education. Dont know if it is true but my brother said some classes were too easy while others were challenging. Guess it depends on the professors. For me, I found my grad classes at Gally were very challenging and I learned a lot.
I was prep at NWC thats why it was easy. Never been student at main campus.

I never knew about those schools in my time since I was mainstreamed and went to a hearing high school so you will figured out why I didn't know about these schools... I continued onto college in the late 80's then after 20 some years, I'm starting to go back to school online course at a local university for Medical Science..Good thing, I've watched many hours of Health Discovery shows, Medical Incredible, MedStudents, Maternity shows. SO right now I'm doing Medical Terminology oh my god.... it's a good CHALLENGE... lol... anyone here took any Medical Courses??? as next I'm gonna be doing Medical Mathematic so do any of you have any tips how to study hahaha just kidding, I'm rusty lol.. smile...

WOW!!! IMPRESSIVE! :) Go for it! There is not many deaf people are in that field. I am sure many deaf people like me would be happy to have deaf doctors like you too! :)

Exactly! I feel that deaf schools are way too easy for me. That's why I never go to deaf school in my lifetime. I rather to go to public school/college to challenge myself and others. Deaf schools are great for social and improve ASL skill and knowledge of deaf culture. Too bad deaf schools don't provide an excellent education for the Deaf.

Exactly! I feel that deaf schools are way too easy for me. That's why I never go to deaf school in my lifetime. I rather to go to public school/college to challenge myself and others. Deaf schools are great for social and improve ASL skill and knowledge of deaf culture. Too bad deaf schools don't provide an excellent education for the Deaf.
I went to deaf school in my whole life!! When I entered Gally and realized it was almost same as HS. So I didn't want to do it all over again.

I went to deaf school in my whole life!! When I entered Gally and realized it was almost same as HS. So I didn't want to do it all over again.
Yes I know what u mean. My parents wanted me to go to Gally and I refused cuz i do not want to see some of them again. Plus too I was told I might not start freshman year. I decided to go to hearing community college and found it was not too bad for me. I loved more challenge than being in baby classes alike deaf school I used to attend.

Back