I have questions about Gallaudet and NTID/RIT

Hi. I recently graduated from RIT with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. Now, I am going to graduate school at RIT again, but this time, for teaching.

If you want to major in Computer Science, I recommend you to go to NTID/RIT since they have one of the top technological programs in the United States. Gallaudet's good for liberal art majors, like Psychology.

RIT do have a bus service that lasts all day and most of the night time. RIT also provide an off-campus bus service; so if you need to go to the mall or Walmart, you can do that. It's called "The Green Line."

And for the dorms, there are many dorms and many on-campus apartments. There is a new apartment complex called ParkPoint, which is considered an on-campus apartment, but at the same time, it is considered an off-campus apartment because the management is a professional company. If you do check out ParkPoint, you will learn more about it. It can be confusing at first.

And for the food places, there are many places off-campus that you can go to. Most of the places are open late; so sometimes it's good to take a break from school and go off-campus to these places. Walmart is open 24 hours so if you forgot something and the school stores are closed, you can always go to Walmart. There are two diners that are open 24 hours as well; Denny's and Jay's Diner. They all are extremely close to RIT so driving isn't a problem. This year, Coldstone shares the place with Tim Horton's and it's 24 hours! So you can get ice cream anytime! =)

Yes, the winter may suck, but just think positively during the Winter. There are many clubs/organizations that runs throughout the years and if you become active in some of these clubs, it will help melt away the snow out of your mind. ;)

For the tuition, if you do get into RIT, you still can pay the NTID tuition, which is a huge benefit. I don't want to try to convince you to go to NTID/RIT, but it is a bit cheaper than Gallaudet. So if you are tight on money, NTID/RIT may be better. I got accepted to RIT, not NTID, but I heard that they do accept the ACT score of 14 or more. It really depends on which program you want to enroll into. If you want to find out the ACT score for a specific program, I recommend you to contact the department of that program and ask.

And for admissions, they do have open houses in November, February and March. So you can just call NTID up and ask about their specific days, and then they will register you. You can visit with your parents for a day tour at NTID/RIT.

If you are a junior and will be a senior in the Fall, there is a special program for juniors to go to RIT for about five days to have a "preview" of college life. The program is called Explore Your Future. I went to that program to find out more information about RIT and general college life and I loved it. I met so many people who did go to RIT like me; some did choose Gallaudet, but I am still in contact with these people and overall, it was a great experience. RIT - NTID - Prospective Students - Explore Your Future (EYF) (The website for that program.)

Okay, I think I talked too much but if you have any more questions, please feel free to leave a comment here and I can reply to it. =)

I'm interested to studies in computer science, I just want make decision on both of them and I have difficult time to make final decision.

What's difference on between Gallaudet and NTID/RIT?

I already got accepted at Gallaudet but I need ask some questions to ensure on my choice, I do considered about NTID/RIT.

How much ACT score that NTID accept?

Does area that where NTID located offers bus service or public transportation? I know Gallaudet already offered alot because of in DC.

What's cons on between Gallaudet and NTID/RIT?

Is it true that some companies don't want hire anyone who graduate from Gallaudet? I need make claim if it's true and I do concern about in future.

I noticed NTID offers associate degree only in most majors, what's option if students at NTID want receive an bachelor degree?

I agreed with Chevy that you should go both RIT and Gallaudet University before you make decision better than be sorry!!

Currently, I'm senior at Gallaudet University and major in accounting. From my experience, Gallaudet is great place for general majors and you can change any time with majors and have lot of options. When I was freshman, I decided to take CIS course and realized that program was tough for me and I decide to change my major in accounting and loved it. Some of my classmates continue with CIS courses and graduate in BS degree and got very good jobs with great pay! I don't know if NTID have great jobs placement but I know Gallaudet have excellent jobs placement for Deaf students to work with real world.

Gallaudet University have been change a lot with new programs in 2007 because of MSCHE requirement. Majors getting challenge and exciter than before.

The only difference I know about NTID and Gallaudet:

-NTID is under RIT with excellent technologies
-Gallaudet is only Deaf university in the world with general majors
-NTID/RIT is country area
-Gallaudet is right in big city
-NTID/RIT have both courses design for hearing and give accommodation for Deaf with interpreters.
-Gallaudet have courses specific for Deaf and hearing who know ASL (That the main reason I go to Gallaudet because of more accessible and easier communicate).

Last edited:
Back