i have question about college loan!

ILoveTarget

Reaction score
i like to go to college part time because i have two job so i cant go full time. i want to know if i can get college loan? i look online and i can only get financial aid if i go full time. i cant go full time because i have to work. so i want to get loan to go part time. can i get loan if i dont have credit card? does anybody know what websites i can get loan from? i make an appointment with financial aid office but my interpreter cancel! so i have to wait and make new appointment. thank u for advice!!!

Yeah, for on-campus financial aid you have to take a certain amount of units which varies by school to school. The more units, the better is the golden rule of thumb..

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the standard unit system that goes by most schools in USA, but it's like this in case you are not aware:
1 unit = 1 hour per class
recommended allotted study hours = units x 2

Usually less than 12units (12 hours a week in classes) is considered part time. The max most people are allowed or can usually go is 18 units. The main reason why is due to the school hoping you partake your free time in studies.

in your case:
So, as you can calculate, 12 hours minimum of class, and 24 hours of studying for those classes - for your 7 day week, subtracting 7 hours of sleep everyday, that's 83 hours of time for work or free time. If you subtract the weekend (sat and sun) hours from that 83 figure, you only have 53 hours per M-F to work or whatever else. This is still considered to qualify for full time.

However like you have said, you got 2 jobs - this sounds like it will be hard to fit the schedule. I can understand that pain and remember what it was like working and school at the same time! Almost no time to relax at all.

For loan options you will need to look from various places you can try. Your bank will always have a loan option, but there will be interest. The average loan interest rate is like 5-6% now I believe, I am not sure with the up to date numbers, you will have to check with your bank.

But there are other government methods you could look into. Fill out your FAFSA first (FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid), get a copy from the admin office or do it online.

One is called the Perkins Loan - It is a fixed 5% loan rate applicable to anyone who meets the following conditions:
•Enrollment in an eligible school at least half-time in a degree program
•U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, or eligible non-citizen status
•Satisfactory academic progress
•No unresolved defaults or overpayments owed on Title IV education loans and grants
•Satisfaction of all Selective Service requirements

Another is the Stafford Loan - I've never tried this so I cannot speak for it - their website states their terms however.

These are the two federal student loan programs that I know of.

If you could, after you fill out the FAFSA you could try seeing if you can qualify for the Pell Grant. I had this throughout my stay at a University in CA, and never had to pay for my tuition for two years (about $~40K worth). Basically after you fill out the FAFSA, you will get determined if you qualify for this loan or not. There may be other grants, I'm sure there are - but their names escape me at the moment.

Last but not least - be cautious, don't fall for some random loan fliers that are around school. I've heard on the news lately that some of these are scams meant to earn money off you.

PM a mod - Jolie or Vamp, see if they can move your thread to general or education section, because this is a more business orientated section and you might not get all the replies due to people not finding the topic.

i thank you so much for your advice! i really appreciate it. i learn a lot from you. i fill out fafsa. i didnt know i could get federal loan with only half time. i go to my bank but they say i need cosigner i dont have cosigner. i thank you again for take all your time to respond. thank you!!!

Hey, no problem. I wish you good luck. If you run into some more general issues that you might want to ask more about - either PM me or ask back in this thread.
About your bank cosigner - do you have a sibling, or a cousin or someone close related that they could help "pay" the loan fees in the event you are unable to?

IMO - bank is the last place you should ask because its loan interest rate will kill you.

1. get the financial aids
2. apply for federal grants
3. ask your state DVR for tuition assistance
4. try to apply for some scholarships

those above should be more than enough for your tuition assuming you're attending state school. If you're attending private university... well.... that's gonna cost some... and you'll have to seek out extra loan from college loan bank such as Sallie Mae.

Hey, no problem. I wish you good luck. If you run into some more general issues that you might want to ask more about - either PM me or ask back in this thread.
About your bank cosigner - do you have a sibling, or a cousin or someone close related that they could help "pay" the loan fees in the event you are unable to?

hi! no i live in foster care all my life so i have no family. but i trying to get in contact with my birth parents right now but not for cosigner reason!

i thank you so much for your advice! i really appreciate it. i learn a lot from you. i fill out fafsa. i didnt know i could get federal loan with only half time. i go to my bank but they say i need cosigner i dont have cosigner. i thank you again for take all your time to respond. thank you!!!

yes you can apply for FAFSA even if you're part-timer. and no you do not need co-signer if you are declared as independent.

Info from FAFSA site -
The financial aid office at your school will use your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and other information to determine the amount of financial aid for which you are eligible. A financial aid award is determined by each school based on your eligibility and the cost of attendance for your program.

hi! no i live in foster care all my life so i have no family. but i trying to get in contact with my birth parents right now but not for cosigner reason!

well you can use your legal guardian as cosigner. btw - how old are you?

IMO - bank is the last place you should ask because its loan interest rate will kill you.

1. get the financial aids
2. apply for federal grants
3. ask your state DVR for tuition assistance
4. try to apply for some scholarships

those above should be more than enough for your tuition assuming you're attending state school. If you're attending private university... well.... that's gonna cost some... and you'll have to seek out extra loan from college loan bank such as Sallie Mae.

hi! thank you for advice jiro. i just try to go to community college first. then i try and go to state school.

well you can use your legal guardian as cosigner. btw - how old are you?

i am 19 and a half. i dont have legal guardian anymore. i live at deaf school in california until i turn 18 and graduate high school than i move to indiana because california is too expensive for me to live. i born in indiana but state of indiana give me to state of california when i 4 so i can go to special deaf school.

hi! thank you for advice jiro. i just try to go to community college first. then i try and go to state school.

ah that's no problem getting fund for it! it's relatively easy to get grants/loan if you're attending community college & state school. Just that paperwork takes time and it's confusing as heck! :cool2:

i am 19 and a half. i dont have legal guardian anymore. i live at deaf school in california until i turn 18 and graduate high school than i move to indiana because california is too expensive for me to live. i born in indiana but state of indiana give me to state of california when i 4 so i can go to special deaf school.

ah ok then you're independent. you do not need cosigner.

Mod's Note:

The thread has been moved to it's proper location. :)

Hey Target, while I was at the bank today I asked my agent question on updated loans.

Seems like its avg 6%~7% in current economy, my current rate I was told I can go is 6.49%, so its 1.49% higher than government rate.

Hope this info would help you!

^^ thank you naisho i appreciate you ask for me!!! that very nice!! i hope you have great day!

You might want to keep in mind, also, that an advantage of a Perkins Loan or a Stafford loan is deferred payments. You will not have to worry about starting to pay the amount back until you have graduated and are working. And the interest rate is stable and low.

If you have already filed your FAFSA, then when your award offer comes in, it will tell you specifically what amount you are eligible for. The loan amount for attending a community college is generally lower than the amount for a 4 year institution because the cost of attending is lower.

Given your situation, you should be eligible for some federal and state grant money, as well. That will not have to be paid back.

If you are using financial aid to attend college, it is important that you have a plan and a time line in mind. Financial aid will only continue for a certain amount of time, the average being 5 years to achieve a Bachelor Degree.

Back