I have finally decided!

rjcon88

Reaction score
Its been sometime since I've rethought my career choices lately which have landed me in an unfulfilling path. After doing alot of reading and self descovery, I have decided I want to become a teacher for the deaf and HoH! I'll be starting classes in a few months and I'm just so exited!

But I do have a few questions: What are the basic requirements to be considered for a position working with deaf and HoH students? Is there any particular subjects (aside from ASL of course) that I should focus on? Are there any basic concepts I should look into before actually becoming a teacher?

Thanks guys!

Its been sometime since I've rethought my career choices lately which have landed me in an unfulfilling path. After doing alot of reading and self descovery, I have decided I want to become a teacher for the deaf and HoH! I'll be starting classes in a few months and I'm just so exited!

But I do have a few questions: What are the basic requirements to be considered for a position working with deaf and HoH students? Is there any particular subjects (aside from ASL of course) that I should focus on? Are there any basic concepts I should look into before actually becoming a teacher?

Thanks guys!

I think you need a degree in Deaf Education. Which is a master's degree.

Thanks guys!

sorry no I do not know the necessary steps needed to achieve this goal but let me extend my congratulation. you surely have a very very long way to go! :cool2:

If you are starting classes in the near future, I would suggest that you speak with your academic advisor. They can answer all of the questions you have asked. You will need to follow a very specific course load.

Check your state's Department of Education website. They should have a list of specific requirements for someone who is interested in Deaf Education. You will be more than likely required to take the Praxis test. I am not sure if you are in Washington State or Washington DC but I am posting a link for both places. This link will tell you your state's requirements and link you to the DOE website. Oddly enough I didn't see Deaf Education on the DC website but it is on the Washington State website. Good luck! I too am pursuing a Deaf Education.

Washington: Praxis Test Requirements

District of Columbia: Praxis Test Requirements

Back