I have a question

Happy2BMe

Reaction score
I'm HOH and my Eldest is HOH too. My youngest is 4.5 and has a speech impediment that is not related to hearing. I'm taking an ASL class in September. Would teaching a hearing child who has trouble speaking be a good idea? I was thinking it would help even I who have trouble understanding her when she's garbling her words.

Teaching ASL to hearing children has never harmed them. My 4 year old son is hearing and is fluent in ASL and English.

Good luck!

my Eldest is HOH too. My youngest is 4.5 and has a speech impediment that is not related to hearing. I'm taking an ASL class in September. Would teaching a hearing child who has trouble speaking be a good idea? I was thinking it would help even I who have trouble understanding her when she's garbling her words.
Oh of course! There are actually kids with CP or tracheostomies who use ASL as a clarifier. I'm really excited that you're taking an ASL class!!!

If your youngest is learning ASL. It might boost her confidence in communication. Who knows it might help her speech.

Anyway, have a great time learning ASL. :)

whats a clarifier?

Clarify-to make clear by signs what they can not with speech.

clar·i·fy (klr-f)
v. clar·i·fied, clar·i·fy·ing, clar·i·fies
v.tr.
1. To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate: clarified her intentions.
2. To clear of confusion or uncertainty: clarify the mind.
3. To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently or filtering: clarify butter.

clarify - definition of clarify by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Clarify-to make clear by signs what they can not with speech.

clar·i·fy (klr-f)
v. clar·i·fied, clar·i·fy·ing, clar·i·fies
v.tr.
1. To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate: clarified her intentions.
2. To clear of confusion or uncertainty: clarify the mind.
3. To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently or filtering: clarify butter.

clarify - definition of clarify by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

is this example right

when i cant remember a word by can remember the fingerspelling for it i fingerspell it instead of saying the word i cant remember how to say

is this example right

when i cant remember a word by can remember the fingerspelling for it i fingerspell it instead of saying the word i cant remember how to say

Yes that would be one example.

Sounds like a great solution for all three of you. :)

I'm HOH and my Eldest is HOH too. My youngest is 4.5 and has a speech impediment that is not related to hearing. I'm taking an ASL class in September. Would teaching a hearing child who has trouble speaking be a good idea? I was thinking it would help even I who have trouble understanding her when she's garbling her words.

My daughter pick my speech impediment and had speech lessons in school and it her speech was fine in a weeks . This happen with my younger sister too, she pick up my speech impediment and speech lessonsd help her.
Could this be why your child has a speech impediment , that she is copying the way you and your older child talk.

Oh of course! There are actually kids with CP or tracheostomies who use ASL as a clarifier. I'm really excited that you're taking an ASL class!!!

That is good to hear!! And I am very excited too! I'm been reviewing what little ASL I know already. Hoping to find a friend on skype to practice with and maybe learn more with.

My daughter pick my speech impediment and had speech lessons in school and it her speech was fine in a weeks . This happen with my younger sister too, she pick up my speech impediment and speech lessonsd help her.
Could this be why your child has a speech impediment , that she is copying the way you and your older child talk.

It might be. I did not think of that. Perhaps that is why she is speaking differently. :ty: for that idea

Sounds like a great solution for all three of you. :)

:ty: :aw:

And I am very excited too! I'm been reviewing what little ASL I know already. Hoping to find a friend on skype to practice with and maybe learn more with.
How old's your oldest? Did you know you could put them in a dhh formal educational program, and they could learn ASL (and teach it to you too!) Or send them to a dhh program camp?

How old's your oldest? Did you know you could put them in a dhh formal educational program, and they could learn ASL (and teach it to you too!) Or send them to a dhh program camp?

She is 6. There is nothing within 50 miles of us. I cannot afford a 50 mile commute. She is happy in her classes she is in now. She has aspergers also.

This is a great idea to teach her sign langage. Its a all around benefit that she learn more than one language. I have two children both deaf/hoh they love sign language they prefer it. I am having a meetup for the children at DOuble rock part on July 24th @10am. We will be practicing sign language.lots of HOH and deaf children will be their come join us.

Email me at mariazai@aol.com for more info

She is 6. There is nothing within 50 miles of us. I cannot afford a 50 mile commute. She is happy in her classes she is in now. She has aspergers also.
Oh that sucks. Are you positive there's nothing in your area? Have you contacted the Indiana School for the Deaf about if there are dhh regional programs in your area? Are you in a rural area? That's good that she's happy in her current placement. Commutting is tough...and most little kids shouldn't have to go off to live at school. Does she have a teacher of the Deaf? If so, you could write in her IEP that she needs ASL instruction.
When she is older you guys could send her to dhh camp/summer classes at Indiana School for the Deaf....and of course when she's older if she wants a different placement/program, you could look into something. That's really odd that there's nothing in Indiana... I thought Indiana was one of the states with regional dhh programs.

Oh that sucks. Are you positive there's nothing in your area? Have you contacted the Indiana School for the Deaf about if there are dhh regional programs in your area? Are you in a rural area? That's good that she's happy in her current placement. Commutting is tough...and most little kids shouldn't have to go off to live at school. Does she have a teacher of the Deaf? If so, you could write in her IEP that she needs ASL instruction.
When she is older you guys could send her to dhh camp/summer classes at Indiana School for the Deaf....and of course when she's older if she wants a different placement/program, you could look into something. That's really odd that there's nothing in Indiana... I thought Indiana was one of the states with regional dhh programs.

There are regional dhh programs just not in my region. I'm in a small town with big cities on either side that are a long drive from us. Too long for classes or camps more then 1 time a week.

For my own ASL class I will be traveling every Monday 1 hour to class and 1 hour home after class. Closest classes I could find :( wish there was stuff closer

That's a great idea. I know a guy who is mute (he's hearing). So, he learned sign language.

There are regional dhh programs just not in my region. I'm in a small town with big cities on either side that are a long drive from us. Too long for classes or camps more then 1 time a week.
Oh that sucks!!!! But at least she's doing well and will continue to do well (it's fairly common for hoh kids to do decently in the mainstream early on) ...and hopefully when she's a little older she can go to overnight summer camp or summer school.....I'm pretty sure Indiana School for the Deaf offers summer enrichment classes/camps. I'd contact Indiana School for the Deaf....I am almost positive they have a very active formal mainstream outreach program. In some states there are "retreats" where dhh kids come to spend a weekend on the campus of a Deaf School. Maybe if she has problems in the mainstream when she's older, she might be able to go to a Deaf School for middle school and high school. That might be an option, just to keep on the table b/c so many dhh kids have an awful time in school around middle school and high school. She might never have to opt for it...but it might be something to keep in mind. I do know that Indiana School for the Deaf is supposed to be WICKED good. Also was wondering.....did the Asperger's dx come from someone who's experianced with working with dhh mainstreamed kids? The reason I ask this, is that it does seem like a lot of experts are labeling kids with any sort of social delay as having "Asperger's." A lot of dhh mainstreamed (not in a formal program)
and oral kids may have social issues that aren't really Asperger's. It can be hard to differenate the two. Of course I do know that Asperger's or HFA can be a seperate dx....I know Jenny (who posts here) is Deaf and has HFA.
OHHHHHHH...... Are you maybe near another state, and could take advantage of dhh programs or schools in that state? It's actually not too unusual for people near state borders to take advantage of educational programs in other states.

Thank you for your concern but she is great :) We'll continue to do what works for us. She loves her school she's in now

Back