I have a question.

Ziusudra

Reaction score
I have a question. I was wondering if anyone has had problems regarding the deaf community with their CIs. I have quite a few friends who are strongly against it. But over time, they gradually realised that a CI doesn't really change a deaf person, it's the person's attitude to the CI and the world that changes them.

I have friends with CIs who sign as well and because they sign, they are more accepted in the deaf community than those who don't sign. I just wondered what other deaf communities thought of CIs in other parts of the world. Some people are pro-CIs, anti-CIs and some are neutral like me. It's interesting to see what some people's attitudes are, and even though some people may have a negative attitude, it is the diversity in attitudes that makes the world go around :)

Ziusudra

I'm on the neutral side when it comes to CI issues. I have a few friends who have CI, and we get along just fine. It's those snotty CI people that think they're better than other Deafies is what gets to me.

I'm deaf and hope to get a CI. I know how nice it is to not hear noise, but why would you fear being able to hear. I was not born deaf and therefore I already know language, if i had always been deaf, I would not get an inplant, because it is too hard to learn sounds when you are an adult, but as an older adult it is too hard to learn signs. I was wondering if blind people would be so against eye transplants?

Ziusudra said:
I have a question. I was wondering if anyone has had problems regarding the deaf community with their CIs. I have quite a few friends who are strongly against it. But over time, they gradually realised that a CI doesn't really change a deaf person, it's the person's attitude to the CI and the world that changes them.

I have friends with CIs who sign as well and because they sign, they are more accepted in the deaf community than those who don't sign. I just wondered what other deaf communities thought of CIs in other parts of the world. Some people are pro-CIs, anti-CIs and some are neutral like me. It's interesting to see what some people's attitudes are, and even though some people may have a negative attitude, it is the diversity in attitudes that makes the world go around :)

Ziusudra

Yeah...I have noticed that CIers are slowly but surely being accepted into the Deaf world. The Deaf-World is realizing that it's not nessairly the amount of hearing that makes you Deaf, but rather whether you Sign and are into Deaf Culture.There are plenty of legally HOH folks who identify as Deaf and who use ASL. Why there is even a growing group of Deaf people who have perfect hearing but use Sign, as a first language due to other disabilties.
a CI is just another tool to get along in the hearing world, like hearing aids or ALDs.
I'm pretty much neutral on CIs myself. (and they can be a godsend for those people with auditory nereopathy or who don't get too much benifit from hearing aids)

I don't asgree to accept CI for myself, I amglad i don't wear it, I don't against people who wear CI. but it is sadly world hearing people always been power damn it.

I'm very proud of my cochlear implant. I was hoh at age 6 then went deaf 3 years ago. I recieved my implant right away. I was never around the deaf culture but i did have other deaf friends. Being in college has exposed me more to the deaf culture and i have attended some events. Nobody asked if i wore a CI. I cant sign. I read lips and speak. I was raised in the hearing culture and i'm still working my way into the deaf culture with my CI.

I'm profoundly deaf and I received my CI in April 2000 -- I had obtained it due to my curiousity of sounds. The CI does sound better than hearing aids. Despite that, I can sign ASL and AUSLAN and involved in deaf community events.
I have had mixed feelings about having kids younger than 2 years of age getting CI's. I don't mind if adult deaf individuals decide to get one, they have the power of decision on whether to get it or not. Children often don't have the advantage of speaking their minds on if they wanted one or not.

But I am aware that it's solely the parents' responsiblities on the consquences should their kid turn around at them and be upset on implanting him/her with a CI.

deafdyke said:
Yeah...I have noticed that CIers are slowly but surely being accepted into the Deaf world. The Deaf-World is realizing that it's not nessairly the amount of hearing that makes you Deaf, but rather whether you Sign and are into Deaf Culture.There are plenty of legally HOH folks who identify as Deaf and who use ASL. Why there is even a growing group of Deaf people who have perfect hearing but use Sign, as a first language due to other disabilties.
a CI is just another tool to get along in the hearing world, like hearing aids or ALDs.
I'm pretty much neutral on CIs myself. (and they can be a godsend for those people with auditory nereopathy or who don't get too much benifit from hearing aids)
Yes, it's difficult to accept these kind of people into the deaf culture. There are a lot of them who get CIs and suddenly, they almost completely reject the deaf culture. I've seen students here who are great ASL users. After getting CIs, they suddenly stop signing and start talking. Even to the interpreters, other deaf students, hearing students, and teachers. When they do that, it takes a while for them to be understood since their voices are not very oral. Because of this, some of those students end up TRYING to join the hearing culture, and lose their place in the deaf culture.

Vampy, yes a lot of people think that being able to hear means that they have more in common with hearing people then with deaf people. (that's been the popular wisdom among experts at least, that HOH people have more in common with hearing people then with deaf people) Yet, I'm HOH and have been HOH ALL my life, and have NEVER felt totally 100% comfortable with hearing people or in the hearing-world. More people should realize that being hoh means you get the BEST of BOTH worlds! It doesn't have to be an "either or" choice. I know biracial kids who don't feel like they fit into the black world or the white world or the Asian world or the Hispanic world or whatever world.

Well, I really dont trust with CI's cuz of one of my friend had it and MESSED UP with nerves in his back of neck... It wont work for him.. so he accpeted be deaf.. I told him, just be himself n be proud of Deaf! I dont need this! I am so PROUD be deaf cuz of god made for this!

TweetyBird said:
Well, I really dont trust with CI's cuz of one of my friend had it and MESSED UP with nerves in his back of neck... It wont work for him.. so he accpeted be deaf.. I told him, just be himself n be proud of Deaf! I dont need this! I am so PROUD be deaf cuz of god made for this!

yeah right on me too, I am proud to be a DEAF

Personally, I would never get a CI. I am content with my hearing aids.

I am not against Cochlear Implants. Unless it concerns a child, to young to make the choice.

Ginette said:
Personally, I would never get a CI. I am content with my hearing aids.

I am not against Cochlear Implants. Unless it concerns a child, to young to make the choice.

Ditto. I totally agree with that^. As far as me personally getting a CI ( I am not a candidate, i wear hearing aids and they work fine.) I don't have a problem with people getting CI or not getting them. It's all up to the person.

I don't know about kids though...it should be up to them, they have a right to experience things their way. I don't know. Decisions like this suck sometimes.

CI is bulky with many whires and stuff. I get stared at enough as it is and CI would add to that. I don't think kids should be forced to get CI but adults can get CI if wanted up to them I won't think less of them.

I also have mixed feelings about kids getting implanted. I'm not against kids with auditory nereopathy or kids who get very little benifit from hearing aids getting implanted.....I do know that the implant criteria for kids is stricter then for adults (which is GOOD!) but on the other hand I've heard of kids who can hear VERY well with hearing aids,(they hear at HOH levels) being implanted, and that is just wrong. The parents of those kids should be legally held to wait on implantation until the kid is a teen and so the kid can have at least some say on being implanted. I see so many parents thinking that "the CI is the ANSWER and will make my child "more hearing."

What I believe in is people making their own choices about Cochlear Implants. What I disagree with is children getting it. Usually parents don't recieve full information and children usually have not had a chance to try out different worlds and see what they want.

Why can't parents let the child try out oralism, ASL, hearing school, deaf school, hearing aids, no hearing aids and when they are old enough then let them make their choice.

As for adults, I totally respect their rights to recieve CIs. I have a hard time understandign why they want it because I know I don't even want to hear but I still respect them. If a friend of mine got it, I would still be their friend no matter what.

Why can't parents let the child try out oralism, ASL, hearing school, deaf school, hearing aids, no hearing aids and when they are old enough then let them make their choice.
Because many hearing parents are brainwashed by professionals into believing that ASL and Deaf culture is "speshal needs" and a "crutch" ...I wish more parents were more openminded to all the options.

I have to agree with butterflygal, I do not believe in CI either. I am having hard time understanding why CI do exist. I dont understand why people have to plant the CI in which CI don t always success but to waste awfully a lot of money when it dont success. I am content for myself for who I am, God has made me for who I am and I am happy. I know God has a gift for me when I get to heaven. I am enjoying my quiet world as it does by til I die.

deafdyke said:
Because many hearing parents are brainwashed by professionals into believing that ASL and Deaf culture is "speshal needs" and a "crutch" ...I wish more parents were more openminded to all the options.

Awww that sucks that your parents were brainwashed. Those "professional" people sometimes are really assholes. I mean, if the doctor knows for a fact that it will not benefit the person, then yeah, tell them! Let them save 100's and 1000's of dollars before investing in something that'll fail. I wear hearing aids and my doctors told my parents that it wouldn't work, and then i went to another doc and i got them and they work wonders! They are so beneficial. I can get along in school now and not be like, :dunno: all the time! lol. However, i still am :dunno: clueless half the time just coz it's hard to deciefer some words from others.

I think it's wrong that the doctor told your parents that ASL and Deaf Culture is condered "special needs" that's retarded. That's like saying anyone who moves from another country and speaks Polish or Japanese has special needs coz they don't speak English. Some people are so closed mined and it's a piss off coz they don't take the time to consider others. ugh! It's like :fu2: what do you know?

Back