I have a question about asking questions

Jeremy1982

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying my hardest to understand if how i'm understanding this is correct. When asking a question to someone and you use the (ask-to) sign (sign for letter x but index finger goes up and down a couple times) does it work in these examples how i'm thinking it does.

Signing:
Milk (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want some milk?"

Drive (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want to drive?"

Eat (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want to eat"

Gas (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Did/Do you have any gas?"

My family just say these words with a questioning facial expression.. but yes that's right.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It would depend on the context asked ...

Using the question "mark" does what vocal changes in spoken languages do - so "MILK" QQ could mean (depending on context) anything including:
Do you like milk, do you need to buy milk, do you have milk, do you want milk, etc.

Ok, I'm trying my hardest to understand if how i'm understanding this is correct. When asking a question to someone and you use the (ask-to) sign (sign for letter x but index finger goes up and down a couple times) does it work in these examples how i'm thinking it does.
You don't need to use the QUESTION sign at all unless you're trying to get an unresponsive person to reply, as emphasis.

You're supposed to use your non-manual markers (eyebrow movements, shoulder shifts, for examples) to indicate that you are asking a question.

The yes/no questions use the raised eyebrows, and the "W" questions (who, what, when, where, why, how) use the scowl or "W" eyebrows.

Of course, the "W" questions also have signs that indicate they are questions (WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, HOW, FOR-FOR), and certain phrases, such as HOW MUCH (cost) or HOW MANY, show that they are questions.

Didn't your instructor and curriculum cover that?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It would depend on the context asked ...

Using the question "mark" does what vocal changes in spoken languages do - so "MILK" QQ could mean (depending on context) anything including:
Do you like milk, do you need to buy milk, do you have milk, do you want milk, etc.
Yes, context is always important. I'm glad that you posted that. I was afraid people were tired of my always replying, "It depends on the context." :lol:

Of course, in ASL, adding the question clarifies what is being said vs. asked.

I don't use the QUESTION sign much at all when I'm signing with sighted people. It's handy for signing with a blind person though.

Signing:
Milk (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want some milk?"

Drive (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want to drive?"

Eat (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Do you want to eat"

Gas (ask-to)
Would be like asking "Did/Do you have any gas?"
Context helps, but you might also need some additional signs to increase clarity.

For instance

EAT YOU WANT? (eyebrows raised)
GAS YOU HAVE? (eyebrows raised)

Back