I have a few questions for someone

lindsi3185

Reaction score
Hello my name is lindsi and i am currently in college. I am taking a cultural competency class. I have chosen to do a report on the deaf community. I am very interested in your culture as a deaf person. I have taken a year of sign language but didnt learn much about your culture from that class. WE have been assigned to do a report on your culture but this isnt a normal report. We have to discuss how your culture must be treated and respected in the health care field. I am going to school to be a surgical tech and we must learn how you need to be treated in the medical office. So my question is if someone can explain to me these things

1. How do you like to be communicted with in the dr office?
2. Do you like eye contact?
3. Do you like to have a nurse or dr touch you to make contact?
4. Do you have certain non verbal cues that nurses or drs must watch for?
5. Do you like to read lips, or would you rather have a interperter in the room?
6. any general information about being a person hard of hearing. such as what it was like to grow up as a child, how it was to go to the dr as as child, what kinds of things that you have experienced that have upset you at the dr office?

I woudl really appreciate any feedback for this topic. I am really trying to write a good report to allow all my fellow health care workers how we can be more in tune to your culture so we can help you more easily when you come to the dr office.
You can feel free to send me this info at my personal email address its mamalindsi3185@aol.com

Thanks so much

Hi Lindsi,

You might want to go to Somewhat Silent website. You will find a treasure trove of material there for your research.:)

Back