I have a big question

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
First of all, read all of this thread! I don't want any misunderstand! No off topic.
-Why do you want to go to deaf school?-
-Why do you want your children go to deaf school?-
-Why do you think deaf school is good place for young deaf people?-
-Why do you think deaf school have a good education?-
Here my thoughts on deaf school.
--I personally doesn't like deaf school at all because of their low education levels amd drama problems. I know there only few deaf school does have a good education but I never go there because I'm not live in their states. I have seen a lot of deaf adult and teengers have poor grammars. I wondering, if their grammar is not that good then why did they still going to deaf school which doesn't have a good education? I know soical with deaf people is important, so is education too. We want show hearing people that we are not dumb, right? I want us to have a history because of the past, these people hide their deaf children in shame or kil them. You never know. But that's not point anyways. If I had a children, I would send them to mainstream schools. Social is important, yes but what about education? I want young deaf people to have a goob job which they don't have to depend on SSI. I never have any SSI expect soon this month I should get SSI because I don't have a job yet and I still in high school. So, if deaf schools doesn't have a good education then why not school board shut them down? Government paid for deaf schools too.--
---Do not being upset over my thoughts---
-----My thoughts is only bias-----

Why did I want my son to go to a deaf school? So that he would be in the company of his peers, be able to communicate freely one on one with students and faculty, so that he would be exposed to successful deaf adults that would mentor him, so that he have the oppportunity to participate in extra curricular activities in the same way that hearing students do, so that he would receive an education in a format that was best understood by him, so that he would not feel isolated and different in a mainstream school.

Why do I think it is a good place for deaf kids? The same reason I think a hearing school is a good place for hearing kids.

Why do I think it is a better education for deaf students? Because my son is now a graduate student, and that would not be possible if he had not received a good education at his deaf school. Because the material is presented in a way that is accessible to the deaf student. Because a student that is isolated cannot fully concentrate on academic issues.

Drama? What school doesn't have drama? Especially a high school. It is the nature of the environment. Stick a bunch of adolescents in the same place, whether they are hearing or deaf, and there will be drama.

You have some very mistaken and inaccurate perceptions of deaf ed. You really should learn more about the topic before slamming deaf schools across the board.

Are you a mainstream student? If so, you have just blown your theory about grammar out of the water.

He went to deaf school for about six years if I remember. He hated it.

That is a bias because there are no fact that I went to deaf school for six years. I actually only went to deaf school for three months and withdrew and joined mainstream school ever since.

That is a bias because there are no fact that I went to deaf school for six years. I actually only went to deaf school for three months and withdrew and joined mainstream school ever since.

I assumed that you were new to the Deaf school and three months is really short to get to know other deaf students including the deaf/hearing teachers.
It is normal that the new kid on the dormitory block was being bullied or was not ready to be accepted. You did not get used to it with time further. You just gave it all up very easily. The Deaf school can not be all that bad once you get to used to it.

I have never been to the Deaf school and I wished that I could have gone to the Deaf school instead of the mainstream schools especially in mainstream high school. The mainstream high school (from 7th to 12th) don't allowed us to learn ASL and would have ASL interpreters for us. I am not alone in the high school as I was in a Special Education for the Deaf classroom with several deaf students. That was in 1960 to 1966.

That is why I hated oral-only program in my high school. It was the same back in mainstream elementary school, too. This is really hard for me as to why we have to suffered not understanding what the teachers and hearing students were talking about. I had to suffered under their method of oral-only for all those years. If I had those ASL interpreters in all of my hearing classrooms and I would be able to understand what they were all talking about in their lessons.

Then don't badmouth about Deaf schools. If you don't like Deaf school, then keep yourself and let us enjoy talking about ASL and getting to know Deaf students and Deaf teachers.

Three months is nothing and you were only a new kid just starting. :roll:

You have every right to an opinion but slandering ALL deaf schools because of a short peroid of time you spent in ONE isn't cool...

I'm glad a hearing school is working well for you but high school is the hardest time of year for a teenager and to be "different" can be a opening for all kinds of bullying etc...

I'm sure there are plenty of people in Bebonang's situation who never had the opportunity to go to a deaf school and was alienated in a hearing environment.

You should be grateful you have these opporunities and shouldn't brush them all with the same brush just because of one expereince.

Why did I want my son to go to a deaf school? So that he would be in the company of his peers, be able to communicate freely one on one with students and faculty, so that he would be exposed to successful deaf adults that would mentor him, so that he have the oppportunity to participate in extra curricular activities in the same way that hearing students do, so that he would receive an education in a format that was best understood by him, so that he would not feel isolated and different in a mainstream school.

Why do I think it is a good place for deaf kids? The same reason I think a hearing school is a good place for hearing kids.

Why do I think it is a better education for deaf students? Because my son is now a graduate student, and that would not be possible if he had not received a good education at his deaf school. Because the material is presented in a way that is accessible to the deaf student. Because a student that is isolated cannot fully concentrate on academic issues.

Drama? What school doesn't have drama? Especially a high school. It is the nature of the environment. Stick a bunch of adolescents in the same place, whether they are hearing or deaf, and there will be drama.

You have some very mistaken and inaccurate perceptions of deaf ed. You really should learn more about the topic before slamming deaf schools across the board.

Are you a mainstream student? If so, you have just blown your theory about grammar out of the water.

The Prime issue is not just about education, schools determine your future life to a great degree. There is some validity in deaf school producing poorly educated deaf people, (Some produce very well educated deaf people), a number are risk areas for abuse too, but the main issue is NOT about 'peer' bonding, but enabling a more rounded individual able to work and manage the world as it is, it's not about nurturing a deaf community to the degree hearing are a race apart, but that is what happens.

Mainstream has its faults, (Access mostly), but deaf children are never going to learn how to be equal with hearing if they are taught apart from them. Gallaudet is a magnificent failure that proved the point. With few exceptions there is no reason why deaf and hearing children cannot be 'peers' too. Perhaps we need to look at how communications are taught which is primarily it seems to many, based on an ability for deaf to get on with each other, not an ability for hearing and deaf to do that.

Equality doesn't mean apart it means mutual and together. Not just with other deaf. The chances you will work in an total deaf environment are almost negligible, indeed not what most young deaf want. I think apart from the worst-case scenario deaf schools will go. My area has none at all and hasn't for 26 years. I do not see deaf as any worse off...

Passivist, why do you say that Gallaudet is a "magnificent failure"?

Joey,

It's good to hear that you've been enjoying the mainstreaming route. Cause I'm another that's a byproduct of that route and felt that it was beneficial for me.

However, you don't necessarily have to put down schools for the deaf in the process. If anything, some should remain open, partly to "fall back on" if some were to find the mainstreaming route too difficult.

In the meantime, you go on and continue to enjoy your mainstreaming experience! :)

To answer the OP's original questions - I would send my children (deaf, hoh or hearing) to a mainstream school. I would consider a deaf school immediately after I felt the mainstream school was not adequate to meet my child's needs (eduction, social, ect). I had a positive experience in a mainstream school - though I will acknowledge my social life may have been different in a deaf school.

I suspect mainstream schools may be more adequate now in comparison to the experiences other AD members have shared about their past. On the same note - we hear from other AD members about positive movements within the deaf education system.

That being said - I think we all have to keep in mind that both education systems are changing. The mainstream experience I had (I graduated in 2005) is likely different than someone who graduated 30 years ago. 3 months is a short period of time to evaluate a deaf school, but everyone has different needs/priorities and I can respect that. Maybe the social experience might be better for someone in a mainstream environment but the education might be equal. Furthermore, thanks to the awareness older AD members brought to others and technology - some of the younger generation may be experiencing more positive attitude and flexibility with their educational journey.

Were you fluent in ASL when you attended the deaf school?

Joey,

It's good to hear that you've been enjoying the mainstreaming route. Cause I'm another that's a byproduct of that route and felt that it was beneficial for me.

However, you don't necessarily have to put down schools for the deaf in the process. If anything, some should remain open, partly to "fall back on" if some were to find the mainstreaming route too difficult.

In the meantime, you go on and continue to enjoy your mainstreaming experience! :)

lol you and your pile o' dung again.....

Passivist, why do you say that Gallaudet is a "magnificent failure"?

It became a breeding ground for disaffected deaf instead of advancing the deaf way of life, they blew it with disruptions, stoppages, unreasonable demands, segregationist attitudes, class disruptions, Animal House Lampoon it wasn't. Then voting their own deaf leader out. Notwithstanding examinations found, that the deaf were being let down educationally there, by far the biggest negative of the whole sorry affair... thus undermining the concept of an all-deaf University bringing advancement. Deaf would have been better off WITHOUT an deaf university, they had the chance and let it go... Deaf schools marginalised and isolated deaf and an University took it a step further backward by practising deaf-Deaf discrimination in their own backyard under the guise of intellectualism.

The issue then is you compare.... Some of the responses here show less than intellect I have to say, just plain abuse.

The Prime issue is not just about education, schools determine your future life to a great degree. There is some validity in deaf school producing poorly educated deaf people, (Some produce very well educated deaf people), a number are risk areas for abuse too, but the main issue is NOT about 'peer' bonding, but enabling a more rounded individual able to work and manage the world as it is, it's not about nurturing a deaf community to the degree hearing are a race apart, but that is what happens.

Mainstream has its faults, (Access mostly), but deaf children are never going to learn how to be equal with hearing if they are taught apart from them. Gallaudet is a magnificent failure that proved the point. With few exceptions there is no reason why deaf and hearing children cannot be 'peers' too. Perhaps we need to look at how communications are taught which is primarily it seems to many, based on an ability for deaf to get on with each other, not an ability for hearing and deaf to do that.

Equality doesn't mean apart it means mutual and together. Not just with other deaf. The chances you will work in an total deaf environment are almost negligible, indeed not what most young deaf want. I think apart from the worst-case scenario deaf schools will go. My area has none at all and hasn't for 26 years. I do not see deaf as any worse off...

I am in disagreement with nearly every point you have made. Mostly becausse you have virtually nothing to substantiate your claims. Answer me this: it is generally accepted that deaf students are graduating with a reading level of 4th-5th grade. The vast majority of deaf students are educated in a mainstream or public school. Why then, are they graduating with a 4th or 5th grade reading level? I'll answer it: inferior education in the mainstream.

Regarding the social and psychologoical issues: there is sufficient research and studies to show that your assumptions are completely incorrect.

Back