I hate seeing this...

Mechanical

Reaction score
There have been many times when I have been out shopping or just out somewhere and seen a deaf person trying to order something or get something fixed and the person at the counter is just getting annoyed because they can't understand what is going on!

When I see this I go over and ask if the deaf person would like me to help them interpret. It helps to be able to hear in one ear :D Almost always the person accepts my offer happily.

There should be a requirement to have at least one employee that knows sign working! They always have someone who speaks Spanish! It should be the same for the people BORN in the country to have someone there that can help them easier and not start yelling when dealing with a deaf person...

I had this happen today... it just annoys me that people do this with deaf people!

Now I will go back under my rock...

Couldn't agree more, Mechanical. Oftentimes I am that person. I use a BrailTalk to communicate with people. It's an index card with the Braille and print alphabet on it so people can point my finger to the letters to spell out their message.

Most people have no idea how to use this. It's not uncommon for people to ask their manager for help, who is often just as baffled.

:dunno:

I agree there should be at least one signing employee on the job at all times! Visual and tactile! :mrgreen:

That would be asking a lot, but it would be nice if someone at least had some sensitivity and patience. So nice when nice folks are there to facilitate communication. It isnt as if I need help, but the poor cashier or wait person.... hahahaha
I am fine, as are you, it isnt our problem that the wait staff/sales person doesnt understand our language or is often unable to read well written notes. It is nice when a nice, polite person offers to assist.

I love when the cashier is nice and polite and patient. It's always refreshing and I always make a point to thank them profusely and tip them well.

So do I. I admit to having a serious Pepsi habit. Before my terp got so sick, we would go to the convenience store as friends to get a "coke and smoke". The cashier/owner would question about my accent, like I was foreign. Now that my friend explained, the clerk is so nice. I went in alone last week. Straight up the clerk signs.... Hello (salute) how (finger down palm) are you (points to me) I could have fallen over. Isnt that sweet?

I love it when people try to communicate with me in MY language. At school, my accessibility counsellor doesn't really know ASL but she can always understand me if I sign. If it is just us I speak and read her lips but if there is someone else around I will sign and she speaks (it is a little secret on campus that I can speak, SOOO much easier for me when people don't expect me to speak or speech read so I just don't tell them I can). She is starting to learn some ASL too, she can finger spell and she knows some basic stuff. I am sure we could have an entire conversation without either of us speaking though gesture and ASL.

My point is that people making the effort is quite nice and I really appreciate it.

Back