I hate fingerspelling

Is there such a term as "syllabic fingerspelling".......can we "coin" it as it relates here?

日本手話 and syllabic fingerspelling

Is there such a term as "syllabic fingerspelling".......can we "coin" it as it relates here?
I wouldn't go coining a term.

日本手話 (Nippon Shuwa (Japanese Sign Language {JSL}) uses 指文字 (Yubi Moji [literally "Finger Letters" {"Japanese Sign Language syllabary"}]) . This is because Japanese Language uses syllables, not letters.

We also have a way of representing English Spoken Language with syllables by using phonemes: Cued Speech. Because Cued Speech is dependant on the language cued, it is not its own language. Thus, Hearing cuers who cue between Hearing speakers and Deaf and Hard–of–Hearing cuers are not interpreters, and they are not translators. They are transliterators.

Cued Speech can be adapted to any language, and Japanese is no exception with Japanese Cued Speech. Japanese Cued Speech is different from 指文字.

As far as improving receptive fingerspelling by interpreting letters as phonemes (sounds), you would need a lot of practice to receive words as phonemes such as "D–E–E–P T–R–E–A–S–U–R–E" to "d ee p t r e zh ur".

As far as improving receptive fingerspelling by interpreting letters as phonemes (sounds), you would need a lot of practice to receive words as phonemes such as "D–E–E–P T–R–E–A–S–U–R–E" to "d ee p t r e zh ur".

Yes, it definitely takes practice, and it is by far a more effective way to receive fingerspelling. The problem is at first of course you're reading "tree-ay-sur-ee," but eventually you learn to recognize patterns of letters.

I became much better at receptive fingerspelling when I learned this technique, but it has left me with a residual habit of mouthing slightly when someone fingerspells names and other out-of-context terms to me. People seem to prefer my mouthing to their having to fingerspell something two or three times before I get it though. :)

Grins New Zealand Sign Language use both hands to make alphabet and I don't have any problems using fingerspelling. I find using ASL alphabet are harder cos i have to try to make it faster but still not good. I have to do fingerspell it slowly. But opposite, I use my hands to fingerspell really faster.

I can fingerspell pretty well after just two years of asl. My problem is I can't read what is fingerspelt to well. I guess it's different for everyone when it comes to fingerspelling.

Back