I hate Drama.....

Braydens Mom

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been MIA last couple of days. Trying to get everything sorted our before my surgery. When yesterday, my Hubby gets a call. The house we are renting has been sold. Great! We just moved into the house the middle of December. We chose this house due to the quiet location.

Now, we have to go through the whole process of finding another house again, that accepts pets. This house was sold without our knowledge of being on the market.. we find out that the owner is several payments in the rears. We get this call, not from the land owner but the real estate agent.

The move to this house was difficult. Moving my youngest son is not an easy task. Plus now we have to go through the whole, double rent, utilities, deposits again!!!! My surgery recovery time is estimated at 6 weeks.. this is crazy!!:wtf:

If you have a lease agreement, they can't just up and sell it like that I would think. Might want to check into that and find out your options.

I remember what happened to us. Rented a house, the owner died and the kids sold it within a couple of months -- But we had signed a year's lease and we stayed the entire year. All the while the new owner screaming we were living in his house.

Sorry, the law said it was ours until the lease was up.

I'm sorry you're going thru so much stress at this time. I hope the situation improves for you.

I went thru the exact same thing 4 years ago...the owner kicked my family out in the middle of our lease contract so he could sell his house. I was pregnant and my daughter was in the middle of the school year...it was stressful but we were blessed..a house down the street was up for rent so we grabbed that one.

If you have a lease agreement, they can't just up and sell it like that I would think. Might want to check into that and find out your options.

Laws likely vary by state, but here in MN a lease can be cancelled if the house is sold AND it is stipulated for in the lease. Read your lease agreement, Brayden's Mom and see what it says about that. If it is not stipulated for that the lease ends when the house is sold, then the new owner will have to honor the lease agreement. (I have a MN real estate license.)

Hi All,

I've been MIA last couple of days. Trying to get everything sorted our before my surgery. When yesterday, my Hubby gets a call. The house we are renting has been sold. Great! We just moved into the house the middle of December. We chose this house due to the quiet location.

Now, we have to go through the whole process of finding another house again, that accepts pets. This house was sold without our knowledge of being on the market.. we find out that the owner is several payments in the rears. We get this call, not from the land owner but the real estate agent.

The move to this house was difficult. Moving my youngest son is not an easy task. Plus now we have to go through the whole, double rent, utilities, deposits again!!!! My surgery recovery time is estimated at 6 weeks.. this is crazy!!:wtf:

I would be contacting the property owner pronto and also contacting the real estate company. Have they given you 30 days to move or is it more like an eviction where you have to be gone in 15 days?

That's sad, it really is. Is there a local housing authority that can set you up in an apartment temporarily until you are able to find a rental that better suits your family needs. As far as the pets are concerned do you have friends or family that are willing and able to take on the pets until you are able to find a rental that accepts pets?

You should also have some legal backing on this as the homeowner obviously did not may payments on the property using the rent money you were paying him. I would consider contacting a lawyer and inquiring about this. Sounds like the homeowner has ran afoul of the law. If the property was up for sale he had to notify you at 30 days before property is put on the market.

Hi All,

hi brayden's mom. i am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

the important question is whether or not you are in a lease agreement. yes, it is true that states laws vary from state to state, but your profile states you live in oregon, so i looked around the internet.

the key question here is whether or not you signed a lease. if you are a month-to-month lessee, there is very little you can do except look for another home. you might want to read this incredibly boring page here to see your options:

Chapter 91 — Tenancy
TITLE 10

91.070 Tenancy from month to month. One who holds the lands or tenements of another, under the demise of the other, and no certain time has been mentioned, but a monthly rental has been reserved, is considered a tenant from month to month. Except as otherwise provided by statute or agreement, such tenancy may only be terminated by either the landlord or tenant giving the other, at any time during the tenancy, not less than 30 days’ notice in writing prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy. The tenancy shall terminate on the date designated and without regard to the expiration of the period for which, by the terms of the tenancy and holding, rents are to be paid.

assuming you have a lease, i would read this page here for general terms:

Lessee's Rights on Foreclosure and on Sale

you might also want to post a request for help on expertlaw.com.

i'm assuming you can't afford a lawyer, but i'd recommend not talking to a real estate agent (unless they practice law as well). you can go to the hud department in your state and ask them what the general laws are in regards to this.

hope this helps, and good luck!!

1) looking at it from a landlords perspective can help to identify your rights:

How can I sell a house with a tenant in it? (agent, tenants) - Real Estate - City-Data Forum

:( I'm so sorry to read this. I hope that everything will work out at some point. Unfortunately I don't know anything about laws in America when it comes to leases. But I wish you all the strenght you will need with your surgery recovery and a moving!

:hug: Jamie

Many as already stated this but if you signed a lease (like for a year) they have to honor that lease..That's what I would think anyways..Good luck and keep us posted

i know that not easy for mostly married couples wanted that dream house nor whatevers without knowledges dues economy NO WAY!

makes me worse nightmares of landman! because have strict rules include my old cats not allowed in the shit rent house! My mom makes filled paper to landman i didnt break everythings he crazy! they later my mom,me and my brother got out rent house i hates that rent house makes me uncomfortables spaces! but i cant stand at landman because he is crazyass!

Back