I had appointment on 4/10/06, this is what happened.

deafJar

Reaction score
yesterday i went to get a new ear mold and it is from the hearing aid dispenser. I asked her if i am hard of hearing she said there is no such thing of that word. Yes there is. She said you have a hearing loss. She does not know all my history, I was diagnosed with deafness when i was very little. I have a mild-moderate hearing loss,45 to 50 db loss. It is a sensenureal hearing loss, and i found that out in 2002, because i had this special test done that you have to keep your eyes closed that is the only way to do this test to find nerve damage and they did find it. I have nerve damage in my left ear. I asked her what does that mean what is on that paper. she said oh you only have conductive loss. no i don't it is a senseural hearing loss. Get it through her head and she can't be changing things and saying what she thinks. I need to get a hold of the test that i had done a couple years ago and copy them and fax some to her. Than she can't say that anymore. Because i know. I am also like to know why is octicon hearing aids more see through, i don't understand. She won't tell me anything. She said she never heard of hard of hearing. Am i hard of hearing? I got her to turn my hearing aid up higher so i can understand speech better. I will just have to test it out in church. I need you all help. Help me to understand more about all this. I live in Indiana.
When i asked her the question my mom thought i was so funny. and the hearing aid dispenser was laughing to and i said i was not being funny. I felt so insulted by them laughing at me. It is so hard to ask questions when you try to ask questions and they won't tell the truth to you and you get laughed at.

I am getting a ear mold that is rainbow kind that will be red,white and blue.

It is better to go to the Deaf school and ask to see a very good hearing aid audiologist office that has years, years of experience dealing with Deaf or Hard of Hearing people. Some Deaf schools have an audiologist office right on the Deaf campus. Do that with your next appointment.

I would love to have an ear mold of the Confederate flag or a Texas flag. I saw some that had the American flag but no Confedrate flag or Tx flag. That would be awesome to have. :) :thumb:

Sounds like they have no experience with terminology that is commonly used in the deaf community. I'd pick better qualified audiologists that are sensitive to your experiences. :)

It is better to go to the Deaf school and ask to see a very good hearing aid audiologist office that has years, years of experience dealing with Deaf or Hard of Hearing people.
Amen! Don't go to a hearing aid dispenser or one of those Beltone/ Miricle Ear places.

I have seen that deaf or hard of hearing individuals should be careful where they go to. Some audiologists become surprised when they find out my hearing loss levels. I am not sure where you can go to, but definitely don't go to an audiologist that deals with older people or announce in the paper about Miracle hearing aids.. You don't have to go to a deaf school, but you could ask them for referrals. Look into your yellow page. Find one that has a word like deaf center or whatever, which is more for your type of loss and history. Some places can misdiagnose or don't know a lot about deeper hearing losses. They are also not too familiar with all types of hearing losses and backgrounds, etc.

Back