I got yell at.

Pepsi

Premium Member
Reaction score
This happen to me a long time ago and it still bothers the hell out of me even to this day. I know I need to let this go ,maybe some of you guys can help me try to get over this.Well I needed some help so I went to the DHS and when I went in front of this woman she got real piss at me for reading her lips and I told her that I needed to do that because it was part of my hearing and I could understand what she was saying.So she ask me if I had a mental problem? And I said no ,I do have a hearing and speech problem.Then she began laughing at me. and I began to get mad because she ask me to stop reading her lips .And it did not help with her boss sitting in the next desk laughing. so I just went home and cry all day long. I knew that they were making fun of me. And I can not let this go. And one more thing I do not know if this has anything to do with it I am white and they are not.

This happen to me a long time ago and it still bothers the hell out of me even to this day. I know I need to let this go ,maybe some of you guys can help me try to get over this.Well I needed some help so I went to the DHS and when I went in front of this woman she got real piss at me for reading her lips and I told her that I needed to do that because it was part of my hearing and I could understand what she was saying.So she ask me if I had a mental problem? And I said no ,I do have a hearing and speech problem.Then she began laughing at me. and I began to get mad because she ask me to stop reading her lips .And it did not help with her boss sitting in the next desk laughing. so I just went home and cry all day long. I knew that they were making fun of me. And I can not let this go. And one more thing I do not know if this has anything to do with it I am white and they are not.

I don't think it has anything to do with race. It is the insensitivity and ignorance of people that should not be doing the job they are doing. They need to be reported to the state regulating agency.

Sorry that happened to you. I Agree with Jillio, stupid people come in all shapes and colours.

Even though it happened a lot time ago, maybe it would help if you wrote a letter to that place (I don't know what the DHS is as I am not American) telling them what happened, how it still really bothers you and ask them to consider putting their staff through deaf awareness training, if they haven't already.

I worked for a place several years ago that provided deaf awareness training courses to mainly government departments and it addressed things like how to respond to the communication needs of deaf people.

Perhaps doing something positive like that may help with the anger aspect of your feelings? I think it helps to have an outlet.

Sorry that happened to you. I Agree with Jillio, stupid people come in all shapes and colours.

Even though it happened a lot time ago, maybe it would help if you wrote a letter to that place (I don't know what the DHS is as I am not American) telling them what happened, how it still really bothers you and ask them to consider putting their staff through deaf awareness training, if they haven't already.

I worked for a place several years ago that provided deaf awareness training courses to mainly government departments and it addressed things like how to respond to the communication needs of deaf people.

Perhaps doing something positive like that may help with the anger aspect of your feelings? I think it helps to have an outlet.

DHS si the Department of Human Services and it is a state controlled social service agency. That makes the behavior even more objectionable to me. These people should know better!

DHS si the Department of Human Services and it is a state controlled social service agency. That makes the behavior even more objectionable to me. These people should know better!

Thanks for clarifying that and yes, I agree with you. I don't know if the US is the same but I've found that while there are a lot of good people in government agencies they also seem to attract the sort of people that Jan is complaining about as well. In other words, the sort of people who are very inflexible, who don't want to think, who only work because they have to and therefore show little desire to improve or work on the quality of their service.

Are you serious!
They laughed at you...

That REALLY pissed me off!!!
You can sue them thats discrimination!!
This makes me so ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can NOT DO THAT TO YOU!!!

And you know what, you should feel better then you do.
Because they are FULL of ignorance!!!!

Those are the kinds of people that SHOULD NOT be allowed
to BREATH on this Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rl::rl:

EDIT:: Im so mad Im writing more.
I told my fiancee this and he was furious!!
THIS story really hit me hard.
Im hearing but I understnad what people go though
needing to read lips... ITS HARD!!!!

It takes practice and a lot of dedication!!!!!
You should of told that prick to go learn Sign language then
so you can communiate with her since she seems to be BLIND!!!!!!!!!

This makes me sick... I HATE people in this world.... Ignorant.
PRICKS!!!!!!!!! I hope you do something about this.
Take them to court and SUE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Your from West Virginia, I am too.
And I KNOW people up there are NOT always the nicest!!!

Im deeply angered by this and wish WISH something could be done............

I don't think it has anything to do with race. It is the insensitivity and ignorance of people that should not be doing the job they are doing. They need to be reported to the state regulating agency.

I agree...man, some people are retarded. Hey, u are not the only one who went thru situations like these, Jan. :hug:

They laughed at you... ~snip~
You can sue them thats discrimination!!

This makes me so ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
inexcusable behavior such as stated makes us all angry.

That said and agreed to.....

It is not discrimination if someone laughs at you and therefore is not a lawsuit.

discriminate: 1. to judge, 2. treat differently on the basis of race, sex, creed, color, religion, or national origin.
discriminating: adj. showing good taste
disriminatory adj.
discrimiation n.

chances are the idiots mentioned treat all of their clients in this manner. I am certain they violated several policies in that DHS department.

I do not believe this type of behavior is rare. I believe it is much more common than we know.

Knowing me I probably would have grabbed pen and paper wrote their names down and walked out with the phone book as well and contacted the state regulating agency that oversees the DHS satellite offices. They would know its serious when they get inquired about from the head office.

As for any comments I would have made:
"Thanks for being a jackass." to them.

Thanks for clarifying that and yes, I agree with you. I don't know if the US is the same but I've found that while there are a lot of good people in government agencies they also seem to attract the sort of people that Jan is complaining about as well. In other words, the sort of people who are very inflexible, who don't want to think, who only work because they have to and therefore show little desire to improve or work on the quality of their service.

Doesn't appear to be much difference int he U.S. and Australia on that point! Unfortunate for those who must deal with the agencies.

Knowing me I probably would have grabbed pen and paper wrote their names down and walked out with the phone book as well and contacted the state regulating agency that oversees the DHS satellite offices. They would know its serious when they get inquired about from the head office.

Same here! I also would make the head office know about behaviour like this and insinuate an attorney is on retainer most definately will make the boss get on the phone to straighten things out pronto! :giggle: Damage control -- don't you just love it?

I did not know.

I had found out that telling the deaf and hard of hearing not to read lips was discrimination. I could have gotten a lawyer.I found out that by doing that is the same as telling people who has to use wheelchairs that they can`t. And telling a blind person that they can`t use a cane.so I will know better next time.thanks everybody.

I had found out that telling the deaf and hard of hearing not to read lips was discrimination. I could have gotten a lawyer.I found out that by doing that is the same as telling people who has to use wheelchairs that they can`t. And telling a blind person that they can`t use a cane.so I will know better next time.thanks everybody.

Good for you.. Glad it's working out for you:fingersx:

Back