I got my first hearing aid

Helidore1983

Reaction score
Until I receive my other hearing aids, I received one, from the Lions club and it is for my right ear. I find that it helps out tremendously, with the exception that I feel lop sided, lol. I can't wait to get my other ones, because if this works this well, then I know having 2 will work better. :)

There is a up close picture of the one I have now on my profile, but it is just a normal hearing aid. When I get the new ones, I will make sure I put a picture of those on their instead. :)

Good! Hopefully it works out for ya, I only have one but I'm not lopsided...at least not yet..there is a bigger diff in my hearing loss in my right oppposed to the left, so for now i only need an ha for the right :) What kind of ha's are u getting later on?

Super :thumb:, I'm glad that the Lion club had helped you get new hearing aids..

I am glad the Lion club has helped you. They helped me pay for my new hearing aid years ago when I lived in Richmond, VA. DRS hasn't been of much help to me. :P I hope you get your other hearing aid soon.

Good to know that it's working out real well for you and hopefully you'll get your 2nd one soon. As for the Lion's Club, that is indeed a great club that provides help for those who needs it. ;)

~RR

Congratulations! I'm glad to knw that you now have a hearingaid.

My new HA's will be Unitron BTE's . . .

Good! Hopefully it works out for ya, I only have one but I'm not lopsided...at least not yet..there is a bigger diff in my hearing loss in my right oppposed to the left, so for now i only need an ha for the right :) What kind of ha's are u getting later on?

Hi there, I have a hearing loss almost the same on both sides, but my right ear is a little better, so since the Lion's club would only give me one used hearing aid (for which I am thankful for), I got the right ear aided for now, until I get the new aids.

As for the new aids, they are transparent red Unitron BTE's with full shell earmolds that have red glitter in them. I finally got approved for my loan for them, but it took forever, and I had already went through the Lions club process. My actual audiologist (not the one I had to go to for the Lions club) works with different companies coming out with new hearing aids, and since I am so young, I wanted to buy new ones, so as my hearing decreases, I can adjust them and have them the way I want them. Its almost like a clinical trial, except I still have to pay for the HA's, but I get a pretty good discount, (like $1000 per ear).

Then I was in Davids Bridal store tonight, lol, and realized, "What the heck am I going to match my dress with Red hearing aids???" LOL, oh well, doesn't matter to me, because as long as they serve their purpose, that is all that matters to me! And besides, I am the type of person who likes to be different and create my own style most of the time, so the color won't matter for just that one thing. :)

Well . . .

I am glad the Lion club has helped you. They helped me pay for my new hearing aid years ago when I lived in Richmond, VA. DRS hasn't been of much help to me. :P I hope you get your other hearing aid soon.

They didn't help me pay for new hearing aids, they gave me ONE used hearing aid that had been donated, but I don't care, it works that is all that matters. As for DRS, I have been talking to them, they actually have finally got to the point where they were going to help me, but I told them no because I finally got my loan, and my new aids are exactly what I want. Transparent Red Unitron BTE's with full shell earmolds with red glitter in them, and they are very powerful with a lot of fine tuning type settings on them that the audiologist can fix for me so I have optimum use out of them.

I am thankful for the hearing aid I got from the Lion's club, but unfortunately it has been hard because I can't hear when I drive, and in really noisy situations, I still can't understand speech with this one, but it is still better than nothing. It also helps me get used to it while waiting for the others. Probably after I get the others I will donate it back to them, as long as I am happy with the new ones. Then someone else will get use out of it. :) Its a Siemens BTE, so I think it is pretty good.

I agree . ..

Good to know that it's working out real well for you and hopefully you'll get your 2nd one soon. As for the Lion's Club, that is indeed a great club that provides help for those who needs it. ;)

~RR

The Lions club is usually pretty good about helping people. They helped me years ago get glasses, and now I got 1 hearing aid so thats pretty good. :)

I ordered them . . .

Congratulations!! How long will it be until you get your new ones?

My audiologist ordered them, and we should be receiving them in a week or 2. I can't wait, because this one I have helps, but isn't exactly the type that can be set to my individual needs. The ones I got the loan for are just about perfect as far as the different setting it can have. I just will have to see if they are right for me. I get a 3 year warranty, and 30 days to try them out. So its all good. I can't wait!!

They didn't help me pay for new hearing aids, they gave me ONE used hearing aid that had been donated, but I don't care, it works that is all that matters. As for DRS, I have been talking to them, they actually have finally got to the point where they were going to help me, but I told them no because I finally got my loan, and my new aids are exactly what I want. Transparent Red Unitron BTE's with full shell earmolds with red glitter in them, and they are very powerful with a lot of fine tuning type settings on them that the audiologist can fix for me so I have optimum use out of them.

I am thankful for the hearing aid I got from the Lion's club, but unfortunately it has been hard because I can't hear when I drive, and in really noisy situations, I still can't understand speech with this one, but it is still better than nothing. It also helps me get used to it while waiting for the others. Probably after I get the others I will donate it back to them, as long as I am happy with the new ones. Then someone else will get use out of it. :) Its a Siemens BTE, so I think it is pretty good.

Oh, ok. I stand corrected. I used to wear a Simens BTE bfore I got implanted. Too bad I've never owned cool looking HAs like the one you're getting. :(

Its all good . . .

Oh, ok. I stand corrected. I used to wear a Simens BTE bfore I got implanted. Too bad I've never owned cool looking HAs like the one you're getting. :(

No you are good, I didn't make it clear when I orginally typed it. As far as cool looking hearing aids go, I know that BTE's are not really easily hidden. People notice them, I can already tell a difference with the one that I wear when I go to my psychology class (only class I have right now), a lot of people look at me different. So my point is, since they aren't invisible, and I have to pay for them myself, then I am gonna make it as stylish as I can. Its expensive, but worth it. My audiologist isn't charging any extra for the color or the glitter earmolds. I guess he figures hes getting enough money as it is, lol. Hes awesome though, he even ordered me a kids pack that comes with some neat stuff that I can use as a first time HA user. You are implanted now so I (hope I am correct when I say this) would think thats better than the HA's anyway. Unfortunatley they don't come in cool colors (yet) and I say yet because I was talking to my audiologist about it, I think they should at least come in pink and blue for children, and he thinks eventually they will do it. It just takes time, like with the HA colors.

Yeah, DRS didn't really help, until I got the loan, then they wanted to help. LOL, I told them never mind, because after I found out from my audiologist how their process works (he works with DRS sometimes, and they do this thing now where they take 3 "bids" from different companies, and then choose the cheapest ones) I have been waiting long enough. And as far as the Lions club, they got me 1 HA, so thats good until I get these others. I will keep everyone, including you, posted. :)

Take care, thanks for all of the great advice and support!

I am thankful for the hearing aid I got from the Lion's club, but unfortunately it has been hard because I can't hear when I drive, and in really noisy situations, I still can't understand speech with this one, but it is still better than nothing

Yeah, that's the downside of hearing aids is that they amplify everything within the range. With natural hearing, you have the ability to focus on a sound in the same way, I suppose that you can focus on something with your eye and not notice the surrounds even though you see it. I think you will find it will improve a lot though when you get the second hearing aid. It's similar with CIs.

Great to know you got the hearing aid though and that it does help a lot! I hope you don't have to wait too long for the second one.

Those of you who posted on this post . ..

I got the other hearing aids, and I wrote a post and posted a pic. But for those of you who didn't see that thread, I will probably post the pic on my profile or something. Two is definatley better than one! :) Just wanted to let you all know. :)

Take care~~

Back