I got kinda pissed off at work today

VA Bowbender

Reaction score
We had our annual X-Mas luncheon at work today. At around noon the assistant store manager pages me over the the store intercom. I answer and she says "I've been paging you, we need you upstairs NOW". I figured it was for lunch and they couldn't start without all the dept mgrs there. When I got upstairs she says to me I've been calling you. So I signed to her Hard of Hearing and pointed to my hearing aids. Then she says to me "THATS NOT MY FAULT".
Before I said something I'd regret I turned and walked out.

Am I being too sensitive or would you be pissed off too?

We had our annual X-Mas luncheon at work today. At around noon the assistant store manager pages me over the the store intercom. I answer and she says "I've been paging you, we need you upstairs NOW". I figured it was for lunch and they couldn't start without all the dept mgrs there. When I got upstairs she says to me I've been calling you. So I signed to her Hard of Hearing and pointed to my hearing aids. Then she says to me "THATS NOT MY FAULT".
Before I said something I'd regret I turned and walked out.

Am I being too sensitive or would you be pissed off too?

How long have you been working there?

If you are a hard of hearing person, and you were talking to your boss on a phone that you answered, it looks kind of weird to suddenly start signing to her. Why did you do that?

It would have been more effective if you had told her you didn't hear.

Also , you can ask for accommodations that you need, such as being texted instead of paged on a loudspeaker.

Of course if you do it only part of the time, and it looks like you are just playing games, I imagine you will get fired.

It's so hard for deaf people to get jobs, and they can find so many reasons not to hire us, that if you have a good one as a department manager, I would do my best to keep the job.

I would had want to had said "And is not my fault you're a bitch!"
I do not feel you're being too sensitive that would so uncalled for your boss to say. Did your boss know you are HOH when you got hired for the job?

If your hearing has changed since you've been there have you told them about it? They wont know what accommodations you need unless you tell them.

and it's not your fault you have hearing issues. she should have realized that perhaps you didn't hear the earlier pages and maybe sent someone down to find you. oy. Hearing people just don't understand.

How long have you been working there?

If you are a hard of hearing person, and you were talking to your boss on a phone that you answered, it looks kind of weird to suddenly start signing to her. Why did you do that?

It would have been more effective if you had told her you didn't hear.

Also , you can ask for accommodations that you need, such as being texted instead of paged on a loudspeaker.

Of course if you do it only part of the time, and it looks like you are just playing games, I imagine you will get fired.

It's so hard for deaf people to get jobs, and they can find so many reasons not to hire us, that if you have a good one as a department manager, I would do my best to keep the job.

I've been with the company for 29 years. I was in this store before her. She knows I'm HoH and I have told her on several occasions when you speak to me you need to look at me so I can understand what you're saying. It has never sunk in for her. My store manager is aware of my loss of hearing and has made accommodations for me to sit next to him at our Profit & Loss meeting so I can hear him speak.

I'm thinking the next time the asst want to talk to me I'll sign at her again. When she says I don't read sign I'll say THATS NOT MY FAULT!

I've been with the company for 29 years. I was in this store before her. She knows I'm HoH and I have told her on several occasions when you speak to me you need to look at me so I can understand what you're saying. It has never sunk in for her. My store manager is aware of my loss of hearing and has made accommodations for me to sit next to him at our Profit & Loss meeting so I can hear him speak.

I'm thinking the next time the asst want to talk to me I'll sign at her again. When she says I don't read sign I'll say THATS NOT MY FAULT!

Why not just get the store manager to require anyone who needs you to text you?

Every person that works in the store is quite aware of my hearing problems. They all know that one of my joking sayings is "I bet you think I know what you said". I'll use this when they're either too far from me or not facing me. Then they realize and accommodate me, they're all very nice people.

How do they find you at work? Are you always in the same spot? Can they call your department?

well -- I'd be pissed too, her comments were too clear. If she did not apoligize for her comments, this is a clear cut discrimination. She KNEW you were deaf/hoh and there is no need to keep paging you. she couldve asked one of the employees there at the party to go get you. Why couldnt SHE get you herself? Laziness? I cant answer that - I wasnt there. I wouldnt save it up for "revenge" next time, I would have it reported to HR and get that documented NOW!!! you do not need to punish her - but its rather for your protection in the future. you just need to have things documented so it looks favorable to you in the future on how did the compnay responded to accomodate you and if they still didnt, then you can sue if something happens in the future.

How do they find you at work? Are you always in the same spot? Can they call your department?

They can use the store intercom and it is fine most of the time. If I'm in the cooler or in some other spots in the store I might not hear the page. But that goes for a lot of others as well. If it's urgent a bagger or office person can be sent back to the dept.

maybe your boss could get you a pager that vibrate and could reach you that way . I thought a company had give deaf and hoh people reasonable accommodation .

maybe your boss could get you a pager that vibrate and could reach you that way . I thought a company had give deaf and hoh people reasonable accommodation .

That is a very slippery slope to tread on. All they would have to do is transfer me to another dept and not the same rate of pay.

the first sentence, you can perform your job well, you just cant hear a page, so I feel a lawsuit and suing for some mega bufu moola in the future if the transfer you and cut your pay after 29 years of service.

Yeah, I don't see suing really happening on account of 1 inconsiderate woman. If she persists in her manner I WILL take it to her boss and get an apology. She has a reputation and ALL the dept mgrs rag on her behind her back. I just don't want my hearing loss thrown in my face, especially in front of others.

If push came to shove I would tell her if she doesn't understand I can have someone from HR and a representative from the FEDERAL Americans With Disabilities Act of 1999 explain it to her. I think that might get her attention.

Seems like you have your bases covered. Some people are just not interested in making reasonable adjustments for other people. Self centered jerks. If she's like that all the time i would file a complaint. You've been there long enough not to have to put up with that.

If i was her boss i would be pissed about the "not my problem" atitude. She's a manager. It's her job to make things run to full potential.

Back