I finally did it... Now, I have questions LOL

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
I have decided to take Adam out of his Oral Only school and go the ASL route... (and after he's got a grasp on ASL we'll go Bi-Bi when he starts learning written language)

I'm positive I'll get flack from some of the Audist's here but this is what's BEST for MY child-- who has more issues than just his hearing-- and visual learning is what works best for my little monkey-- it took me 2 years to come to this decision and let me say I feel a certain peace about it!! So I will not defend my decision or argue about it...

With that said I'm very excited about this... and I'm trying to find the best route for ME to take to learn... I realllly suck at learning sign from a book-- or still picture/diagram... I need to see it happening so I know I'm getting it right-- (and not telling someone off totally unintentionally! LOL) I've looked over some of the videos available online (found suggestions here etc) but I'm curious is there a DVD series that maybe some of you have used??? I'm going to go to the Library this weekend and see what I can find there and hopefully get enrolled in the ASL classes at the Community college here- even if just to audit the classes to learn... But thought I'd start NOW w/what resources I could find...

I'm sure I'll be on here w/a few "What's this" or "how do I sign that" questions... please just be patient :):)

THANK YOU all for the input and help-- and support I get here!! :ty::ty:

The public library will probably be limited. I tried that route a few years ago looking for videos and they only had ONE video tape for learning ASL. College classes would be good and its a good time to look for one now since the fall quarter will be starting soon you can enroll sooner if your college offers something. One website I like is • ASL • American Sign Language and I've heard ASLPro.com Home is good but never use that one.

Oh and a big :thumb: to you on your decision! :D

The public library will probably be limited. I tried that route a few years ago looking for videos and they only had ONE video tape for learning ASL. College classes would be good and its a good time to look for one now since the fall quarter will be starting soon you can enroll sooner if your college offers something. One website I like is • ASL • American Sign Language and I've heard ASLPro.com Home is good but never use that one.

Oh and a big :thumb: to you on your decision! :D

Adamsmomma - good luck!

feel free to ask more in this thread - http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/80240-how-do-you-sign.html

THANK YOU BOTH!!!

Ncff07-- yeah I looked at the online catalog and only found 2 DVD's, the rest were VHS tapes and well our VCR bit the dust and I didn't replace it... :shock: lol

Jiro-- I will bookmark that one!! :ty:

I do not have experience with deaf children. When she learned that i was deaf. She contacted school to start something with ASL. ( in our old time, sign language). She went to the deaf school and met other mothers. They agreed on having a play date for kids while the mothers taught each other by learning ASL. Thought i should mention it to you..

kids pick up signing pretty fast. used to be i had a hard time learning sign but i found the more i learn and practice the easier it is to learn more and easier to remember.

I do not have experience with deaf children. When she learned that i was deaf. She contacted school to start something with ASL. ( in our old time, sign language). She went to the deaf school and met other mothers. They agreed on having a play date for kids while the mothers taught each other by learning ASL. Thought i should mention it to you..

Thanks Frisky... his educator of the Deaf is going to help me find some ASL mom's in the area :) (the school for the deaf is about 45 mintues away so it's not close enough for us to go down there on a regular basis) but his DE knows people close by :) Great idea btw!!

kids pick up signing pretty fast. used to be i had a hard time learning sign but i found the more i learn and practice the easier it is to learn more and easier to remember.

yeah he's a quick visual learner... I'm not worried about him at all... I can show him once or twice from his 'signs for {this or that} books and he's got it... he can read his whole "signs for bedtime book" w/out missing a single one :):)

I'm just concerned about my learning skills-- been a while since I had to learn a new language!! :) :)

Thanks Frisky... his educator of the Deaf is going to help me find some ASL mom's in the area :) (the school for the deaf is about 45 mintues away so it's not close enough for us to go down there on a regular basis) but his DE knows people close by :) Great idea btw!!

That's so awesome! I hope things are much easier for you and your kid when it comes to ASL with others or school. My old school was about 50 minutes away from my home. I went on bus everyday from monday to friday. I loved riding in the bus and hanging out with deaf friends before we arrives school. I had good memories with bus history. ha

Wow, big move! Wishing you all the best. You mentioned that you were taking the little one out of oral school and going the ASL route: what does that mean for you and Adam: have you enrolled him in a formal ASL program or a bi-bi school or are you planning to teach him at home?

I found the following to be extremely helpful when we first learned our little one was deaf, although I realize not all is available in every state or location:
  • Deaf mentor assigned by the state to walk us through educational and parenting resources available
  • List and objective description of academic institutions equipped to teach deaf children provide by the state; detailed resources for the deaf and their families
  • Family Sign -- state provided ASL instruction for the whole family (and friends, neighbors, etc.) in my home on weekends
  • Our school's Early Childhood Center: bi-bi education (0-6YO)
    -- 3X weekly Parent Infant Program (0-3 YO) associated with a bi-bi school for the deaf located in my state -- founded, led by deaf, ASL-using instructors; participation in ASL (with interpreters facilitating)
    -- 3X weekly SLP sessions (both ASL and spoken language development)
    -- Weekly parent group with mix of hearing/deaf parents sharing experiences, led by experienced instructor
    -- Involvement in cultural events promoted by the school
    -- Full day PreK (3-6) in a learning environment customized for each child (Li is in an acoustic access class with others using CIs, has 3X weekly SLP pullouts -- academic mix is roughly 40/60% spoken language / ASL
    [the school is about an hour and a half away from our home, but well worth the commute]
  • Teachers / aides at the school for the deaf available to babysit, exposing the child to ASL
  • Child care center located at the school for the deaf (0-3YO), all caregivers use ASL extensively if not primary means of comm/deaf high school students volunteer to assist in the afternoon, providing great deaf role models, on campus location provides exposure to deaf environment

Things should be a downhill roll from here, you learn ASL thru your kid. Seriously.

You just show him the sign and he will repeat it to you when you ask him later down the road. :)

IE: My mom forgot the sign for "Lotion" then she asked me "where *rubbing hands in an applying lotion motion* then I said "Lotion!"

Wow, big move! Wishing you all the best. You mentioned that you were taking the little one out of oral school and going the ASL route: what does that mean for you and Adam: have you enrolled him in a formal ASL program or a bi-bi school or are you planning to teach him at home?

I found the following to be extremely helpful when we first learned our little one was deaf, although I realize not all is available in every state or location:
  • Deaf mentor assigned by the state to walk us through educational and parenting resources available
  • List and objective description of academic institutions equipped to teach deaf children provide by the state; detailed resources for the deaf and their families
  • Family Sign -- state provided ASL instruction for the whole family (and friends, neighbors, etc.) in my home on weekends
  • Our school's Early Childhood Center: bi-bi education (0-6YO)
    -- 3X weekly Parent Infant Program (0-3 YO) associated with a bi-bi school for the deaf located in my state -- founded, led by deaf, ASL-using instructors; participation in ASL (with interpreters facilitating)
    -- 3X weekly SLP sessions (both ASL and spoken language development)
    -- Weekly parent group with mix of hearing/deaf parents sharing experiences, led by experienced instructor
    -- Involvement in cultural events promoted by the school
    -- Full day PreK (3-6) in a learning environment customized for each child (Li is in an acoustic access class with others using CIs, has 3X weekly SLP pullouts -- academic mix is roughly 40/60% spoken language / ASL
  • Teachers / aides at the school for the deaf available to babysit, exposing the child to ASL
  • Child care center located at the school for the deaf (0-3YO), all caregivers use ASL extensively if not primary means of comm/deaf high school students volunteer to assist in the afternoon, providing great deaf role models, on campus location provides exposure to deaf environment

THANK YOU!!!

For right now his DI (Developmental Interventionist) who is his educator for the deaf is working on signing w/him as well as working at home with my limited knowledge-- the school for the deaf is about 45 minutes from here and currently I can't move down there to take him daily-- and they only start at K anyhow--(with Early Intervention like he already gets here)

I am evaluating the bi-bi programs that are closest to us-- all are with in 3-10 hours from here... again as he gets a little older that will be more of an open option...

He'll be going to a homecare program for the time being while he's on the list to get into a dayschool for kids w/special needs-- which would help w/all his 'little' diffrences' as well as SLT.

WOW your state seems to really have a lot available for you-- I'm sure we've got things like that and his DI/ED will be able to help me find those types of resources since previously I didn't 'want to rock the boat' and never went beyond his dayschool. Does that make sense?? I appreciate the list, it'll give me something to go on while learning!!!

That's so awesome! I hope things are much easier for you and your kid when it comes to ASL with others or school. My old school was about 50 minutes away from my home. I went on bus everyday from monday to friday. I loved riding in the bus and hanging out with deaf friends before we arrives school. I had good memories with bus history. ha

Girl, I HATED most of the bus rides I had to go on LOL I was first on/last off in HS and didn't have the 'best' route to be on-- but I do have some fond memories of being on the bus w/my friends!!

Thank you for the support and ideas!!! :)

Things should be a downhill roll from here, you learn ASL thru your kid. Seriously.

You just show him the sign and he will repeat it to you when you ask him later down the road. :)

IE: My mom forgot the sign for "Lotion" then she asked me "where *rubbing hands in an applying lotion motion* then I said "Lotion!"

THAT Is encouraging!!! Thank you :D :D He is a quick learner-- that's for sure, so I figure he'll catch on in a snap!

Adamsmomma as you already know I'm in the same boat, also learning ASL using lifeprint.

So far I'm loving it, but I think the best way to improve is to immerse myself in the deaf culture and perhaps volunteer somewhere where I could both volunteer and practice ASL.

Best of luck :)

Adamsmomma as you already know I'm in the same boat, also learning ASL using lifeprint.

So far I'm loving it, but I think the best way to improve is to immerse myself in the deaf culture and perhaps volunteer somewhere where I could both volunteer and practice ASL.

Best of luck :)

Thanks Rain!!!

I remember last year someone told me about a bi-monthly meeting here at the mall, but I've lost the details so I'm going to have to find those b/c I'd Love to get started going and taking Adam w/me...

I think you're right the immersion will be key--

I applaud your decision and am proud that you are choosing what you think and perceive as the best route for your and your little A-Monkey.

I too am trying to learn ASL. Had a short class and other than that, it's books and online stuff. Will try more with online video chats with a few who don't mind helping me.

I applaud your decision and am proud that you are choosing what you think and perceive as the best route for your and your little A-Monkey.

I too am trying to learn ASL. Had a short class and other than that, it's books and online stuff. Will try more with online video chats with a few who don't mind helping me.

OOOH hadn't thought of that... guess I need to learn more than 'baby' language to do that though... LOL

There are a bunch of us on here who use Skype. If you would feel comfortable about the idea, you could practice your signing with us on Skype. Just an idea :)

order VP like Sorenson. it's free.

or download VP software (you'll need webcam) ConvoRelay (mac only), Purple P3, etc. Feel free to VP with any of us to practice ASL :cool2:

Back