I feel uncertain about how to proceed in my future

hyde

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Hyde from China. I would like to share my story with all of you and demonstrate the strength and courage we can find within ourselves when facing challenges. Starting at the age of three, I lost my hearing due to an allergic reaction from a vaccination. The quality of vaccinations back then was unreliable, and it had a profound impact on my life. However, even in my moments of despair, my parents held onto hope, believing that I would regain my hearing. They tirelessly went from hospital to hospital, never ceasing their care and support.

Unfortunately, the doctors informed them that I wouldn't be able to recover my hearing and would have to rely on hearing aids to perceive sound. For our modest family, purchasing a pair of hearing aids was a tremendous burden. To achieve this goal, my parents had to work in distant places, pouring their sweat and hard work into it. Yet, the price of hearing aids at that time was exorbitant, and they were only available in Beijing. I missed the optimal period for auditory training.

In the area where I lived, there were no schools or communities for the deaf. Imagine a deaf child stepping into a school filled with hearing children—it was like a dolphin being placed in a zoo. However, I didn't receive kindness or understanding; instead, I endured bullying and foul language. I sought help from teachers numerous times, hoping they would address the issue, but the situation didn't improve. The most they could do was issue warnings, and then the problem would be set aside.

As I entered middle school, I realized that I couldn't keep up with the pace of learning. The teachers' explanations became meaningless to me, and I felt powerless. Eventually, I was forced to drop out of school. My parents told me, "If you don't want to study, then go find a job." However, as you may know, finding employment is incredibly challenging for a deaf person. Despite my parents' efforts to secure me a job through relatives, I couldn't sustain those jobs because they required communication, which posed a significant challenge for me.

Fortunately, I found a job that didn't require communication and worked there for a few years. However, one day I realized that my life was a lie. I had never met any deaf friends like myself, and I couldn't find them online either. I grew tired of my current job, lacking a sense of purpose and the opportunity to explore the world outside. I had been confined to my own little circle for far too long. As a result, I made the decision to resign when I was only 18 years old.

Now, I'm actively searching for what truly interests me. The cost is substantial, and my savings are insufficient to afford rent. I have returned to my hometown to live with my parents. I've been trying to find part-time work, but my parents think I'm crazy. They understand how difficult it is for a deaf person to find employment. However, I haven't let their concerns deter me. I've attended interviews at dozens of restaurants and over twenty companies, but they all rejected deaf individuals because they believed the positions required communication. It was heartbreaking and anxiety-inducing. Eventually, I gave up on the job search.

I'm curious about the work that all of you do. I would like to know the challenges you face in your current occupations, whether you have the opportunity to work alongside deaf individuals, and if equal opportunities are provided for the deaf community. I hope you can share your experiences and perspectives with me.

Hello everyone, I'm Hyde from China. I would like to share my story with all of you and demonstrate the strength and courage we can find within ourselves when facing challenges. Starting at the age of three, I lost my hearing due to an allergic reaction from a vaccination. The quality of vaccinations back then was unreliable, and it had a profound impact on my life. However, even in my moments of despair, my parents held onto hope, believing that I would regain my hearing. They tirelessly went from hospital to hospital, never ceasing their care and support.

Unfortunately, the doctors informed them that I wouldn't be able to recover my hearing and would have to rely on hearing aids to perceive sound. For our modest family, purchasing a pair of hearing aids was a tremendous burden. To achieve this goal, my parents had to work in distant places, pouring their sweat and hard work into it. Yet, the price of hearing aids at that time was exorbitant, and they were only available in Beijing. I missed the optimal period for auditory training.

In the area where I lived, there were no schools or communities for the deaf. Imagine a deaf child stepping into a school filled with hearing children—it was like a dolphin being placed in a zoo. However, I didn't receive kindness or understanding; instead, I endured bullying and foul language. I sought help from teachers numerous times, hoping they would address the issue, but the situation didn't improve. The most they could do was issue warnings, and then the problem would be set aside.

As I entered middle school, I realized that I couldn't keep up with the pace of learning. The teachers' explanations became meaningless to me, and I felt powerless. Eventually, I was forced to drop out of school. My parents told me, "If you don't want to study, then go find a job." However, as you may know, finding employment is incredibly challenging for a deaf person. Despite my parents' efforts to secure me a job through relatives, I couldn't sustain those jobs because they required communication, which posed a significant challenge for me.

Fortunately, I found a job that didn't require communication and worked there for a few years. However, one day I realized that my life was a lie. I had never met any deaf friends like myself, and I couldn't find them online either. I grew tired of my current job, lacking a sense of purpose and the opportunity to explore the world outside. I had been confined to my own little circle for far too long. As a result, I made the decision to resign when I was only 18 years old.

Now, I'm actively searching for what truly interests me. The cost is substantial, and my savings are insufficient to afford rent. I have returned to my hometown to live with my parents. I've been trying to find part-time work, but my parents think I'm crazy. They understand how difficult it is for a deaf person to find employment. However, I haven't let their concerns deter me. I've attended interviews at dozens of restaurants and over twenty companies, but they all rejected deaf individuals because they believed the positions required communication. It was heartbreaking and anxiety-inducing. Eventually, I gave up on the job search.

I'm curious about the work that all of you do. I would like to know the challenges you face in your current occupations, whether you have the opportunity to work alongside deaf individuals, and if equal opportunities are provided for the deaf community. I hope you can share your experiences and perspectives with me.
Hi, thank you for sharing your journey. I am deaf also but I wont go into my journey as it is too painful and will probably take too long to explain.
I am based in London. Recently, in the last few years, lots of deaf advice centres and deaf orientated charities have popped up. In these, the majority of the workforce will be deaf, most of them using sign language.

I am not suggesting that you move here but perhaps in China or in the USA things are getting easier ? If there are no deaf charities in China, perhaps you would like to start up one ?

There are lots of new deaf sports clubs too with Deaf football and Deaf table tennis and Deaf artists.

I hope this gives you some ideas and some inspiration for the future. Learning sign language is usually a good move.

Wishing you the best.

Juliette

Since you mentioned you are from China and how come you can type english that well? You seems to be educated and it comes with a price but how did you get through all that. That is an impressive feat. So do not belittle yourself. Learning is continuous and do receive help when you can. Do not be afraid to recieve help when you need it.

Hi, thank you for sharing your journey. I am deaf also but I wont go into my journey as it is too painful and will probably take too long to explain.
I am based in London. Recently, in the last few years, lots of deaf advice centres and deaf orientated charities have popped up. In these, the majority of the workforce will be deaf, most of them using sign language.

I am not suggesting that you move here but perhaps in China or in the USA things are getting easier ? If there are no deaf charities in China, perhaps you would like to start up one ?

There are lots of new deaf sports clubs too with Deaf football and Deaf table tennis and Deaf artists.

I hope this gives you some ideas and some inspiration for the future. Learning sign language is usually a good move.

Wishing you the best.

Juliette
Hello, Juliette. Thank you for your response. I appreciate your interesting suggestion. Unfortunately, I recently discovered that in China, individuals are not allowed to establish clubs. Even if setting up an organization is permitted, it involves a complex and lengthy process, which can take several years or result in rejection. It's disheartening to see the deaf community being marginalized and rendered invisible in China. They face significant challenges, including difficulties in survival and even wage issues. The legal system does not adequately support them, and speaking out is often seen as subversive. On a positive note, I have recently started learning American Sign Language (ASL), and while British Sign Language (BSL) is proving a bit challenging, I find the process rewarding.

Since you mentioned you are from China and how come you can type english that well? You seems to be educated and it comes with a price but how did you get through all that. That is an impressive feat. So do not belittle yourself. Learning is continuous and do receive help when you can. Do not be afraid to recieve help when you need it.
Hello, I have a strong interest in American and British dramas, and I am passionate about movies as well. Whenever I face difficulties or feel down in life, I find solace in watching movies to alleviate stress. Unfortunately, there are times when the movies I enjoy only have English subtitles, making it challenging for me to fully grasp the storyline. As a result, I have made a firm decision to improve my English skills. This journey of better understanding the plot is truly fascinating, but I must acknowledge that my proficiency in English is still limited.

Hello, I have a strong interest in American and British dramas, and I am passionate about movies as well. Whenever I face difficulties or feel down in life, I find solace in watching movies to alleviate stress. Unfortunately, there are times when the movies I enjoy only have English subtitles, making it challenging for me to fully grasp the storyline. As a result, I have made a firm decision to improve my English skills. This journey of better understanding the plot is truly fascinating, but I must acknowledge that my proficiency in English is still limited.
Not too bad. You are learning and understanding english quite well than most of your china friends. keep it up. I be rooting for your future. Do what you can and your uncertain future will be clearer. Are you still working in China or in Amercia?

On another side, why not you share your chinese sign language. Maybe will be an eye opener since it is your language. Or maybe can teach amercian to learn how to read and write chinese as a starter.

Hi Hyde!
Thank you for sharing your story! It's definitely challenging trying to find a job in a hearing society. I do recommend that you try to find other hard of hearing/deaf folks that can help you out. Maybe you could find an Deaf schools nearby? They could point you some resources on where to find services for deaf/hard of hearing. Volunteer at the Deaf school and find out if there are job opportunities there? Any religious like a Deaf Christian church might give you some help. Good for you for learning ASL and English maybe you can try a local community college that might have resources for disabilities and learn ASL. If it's possible maybe you can try college in another country or come to USA.

I don't know where you are located but here is one interesting website that might give you some helpful links

As for me I had lot of college experiences and I enjoyed having ASL interpreters or real live captioning in class. I had a few jobs and did well with one online business but I am now focusing on helping my aging parents.

All the best,
DeerHeart
Annie

I use to work for a company for little over 22 yrs ..we plow telephone cables in the ground ..the machines were big and loud ..I had no problems working around the other guys..I was at the time knew sign language..didn't teach the anything ..I was a swapper ..which I was in the ditch watching as the operator on the backhoe was digging the ground ..I had to make sure he didn't break into any kind trouble..he wanted to know how I can tell him wht I see without him turning the machine off..
Like sighs for stinking ...sewer....water.. thumbs up for ok..
I had to give up my work for having gitting hurt twice..had git Social Security Disability...now am 66... am on Social Security...fully retired...
Although I did lost 13% of my hearing from those loud machine ...
I was born hard of hearing...now deaf in one ear and hoh in other ear ..about less than 1/3 hearing left ..life goes on ...
Y'all have a great week ..

Back