I feel silly but I'm serious....

luna

Reaction score
I'm not hearing impared. But I need to learn ASL. The book I have is great but I really need to converstae with a pro in order to really keep what I'm learning.

It's a crazy idea but I thought that if I could find someone to conversate with during lunch a few times a week it would really force me to learn and learn properly.

I'm in NY. Any chance there is someone on this site who works in Manhattan and wouldn't mind teaching someone like me through casual converstaion? Let me clarify: "ahem" ...Plotanic conversation. :)

Or perhaps I'm posting this in the wrong area? Any suggestions?

My desire to learn is very genuine. I need to learn sign language.

Thank you!

Hi. My friend is hosting this club in Manhattan on March 4th. This could be one way to meet and converse with deaf people. I'm most likely going there.

For more information, go to www.deafnightlife.com

Thanks

I'm afraid my clubbing/night life days are over but I'll try to keep an open mind to other venues to meet the signing community. Thanks though. :)

What Alex has suggested is a good idea, it's not like you need to go clubbing, etc., in order to learn ASL better, but this is one way you could meet someone there who would be willing to converse with you during lunch, set up a time slot during the week in order to help you learn the language. Wouldn't you think so? I'd sure give this a chance and perhaps luck will be on your side and you'll not only meet a great group of people, but at least finding one or two who would be willing to meet you! ;)

Hi, Luna...it sounds like your'e having a blossoming or want to have a relationship with someone who is deaf. If that is so, why not have that someone help you with the signing thing?

and if u need like help with a word, and ur not sure how to do it...because i know books aren't always the best thing in the world to learn sign language from. u can go to Google and type in Amercian Sign Language and most of the websites have video demonstrations of words.

Peachy Lady said:
I really like this ASL website and have sent it out to people that could use them, or have that person send it to ppl that wants to learn ASL. What you do is click on any word you want to know sign for...and there it is! Here it is...

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro

i was looking through that site, and i noticed that a lot of the words are signed a bit different than what i was taught. i mean i understand that there are different dialects around the country. ive never seen the word Arizona signed on the chin. ive always seen it signed as AZ. and i dont know anyone who signs Florida as, FLA near the head. i always do just FL.

its interesting to look through the words and see the different signs for one word.

AJ said:
i was looking through that site, and i noticed that a lot of the words are signed a bit different than what i was taught. i mean i understand that there are different dialects around the country. ive never seen the word Arizona signed on the chin. ive always seen it signed as AZ. and i dont know anyone who signs Florida as, FLA near the head. i always do just FL.

its interesting to look through the words and see the different signs for one word.

Everyone involved in that site is from Texas... So there's a pretty strong Texas accent to it.

Back