I Feel Bad For Being Hard Of Hearing

That's terrible, and I hate whoever did that. for both of our countries.

Fuzzy

Yes, I believe that some European countries are better and they don't treat patients like in jail and prison.

That's terrible, and I hate whoever did that. for both of our countries.

Fuzzy

You're all welcome to move to Europe.
But do keep in mind tax presssure for those benefits here is like 55%

also, people usually like people who are active and interesting. like, "hey, guys, you'd never guess what happened to me yesterday!"
Like, you artistic, start drawing something funny in plain view and see what happens.

Not everybody. My hearing friends is not a fan of "active" like "HEY! look at me.. guess what happened!!!". Neither am I. I'm comfortable with easy going people who don't mind if I don't say much (in person Meike....lol ;) ). So for me I don't see it as people usually... more like some people like....

the voice thing... is true of hearing, HOH or deaf... too low/soft.. too loud/high pitched.. you name it. Not gonna adjust myself at anyone else's demands but will if I think it will make things better.

You're all welcome to move to Europe.
But do keep in mind tax presssure for those benefits here is like 55%

Not much difference in US.

Federal tax + state tax + FICA (SS and Medicare) + local tax + health insurance could push more than 50% but your life is more crap in US.

Not everybody. My hearing friends is not a fan of "active" like "HEY! look at me.. guess what happened!!!". Neither am I. I'm comfortable with easy going people who don't mind if I don't say much (in person Mieke....lol ;) ). So for me I don't see it as people usually... more like some people like....

the voice thing... is true of hearing, HOH or deaf... too low/soft.. too loud/high pitched.. you name it. Not gonna adjust myself at anyone else's demands but will if I think it will make things better.

You shouldnt.

On the topic, generally people will easily be intrested in the stories of such a person, they get attention yeah, but it's the content of the story and the genuineness that make the difference.

But generally also introverts like them IRL, even if just for not having to be in the spotlight

The way I understood it - before I was aware the OP already has the CI - is that there is a pretty good speech understanding now.
So I thought with the CI, there is a very good chance of further -excellent- improvement.

Fuzzy
But the thing is, if you have good speech understanding, you generally wouldn't be eligable for the CI unless your health insurance was extremely generous or if you had secondary issues or poor speech perception with a CI. Also, the CI just improves speech perception. Someone with it is still functioally HOH (still uses FM, ALDs, closed caption) It doesn't get rid of social issues. Even audilogically HOH people can and do struggle socially.

For CI, you must be severe to profound deaf to be candidate for CI and the insurance companies will check with hearing test record before they could cover you, also some insurance companies may require you to discuss with VR to receive free hearing aids before they could cover on CI, so their policies varies.

For CI, you must be severe to profound deaf to be candidate for CI and the insurance companies will check with hearing test record before they could cover you, also some insurance companies may require you to discuss with VR to receive free hearing aids before they could cover on CI, so their policies varies.

Have never heard of that angle regarding insurance companies insisting/requiring one to discuss with VR to receive hearing aids first... that would be called Step Therapy. I'd have to look to see if any insurance does indeed have restrictions of 'step therapy' for CI.

As it is most people who go for a CI have already done that.. plus many people can't go through VR if they work- if you have an income, VR will NOT pay fully for your hearing aids- they will ask you to pay for some of it. Someone here just went through that. Me I happened to be unemployed both times I got "free" /paid for hearing aids through VR. Aids through VR may not always be the best ones either- may depend on state.

But you're correct on the dB level for candidacy as far as I know.

Have never heard of that angle regarding insurance companies insisting/requiring one to discuss with VR to receive hearing aids first... that would be called Step Therapy. I'd have to look to see if any insurance does indeed have restrictions of 'step therapy' for CI.

As it is most people who go for a CI have already done that.. plus many people can't go through VR if they work- if you have an income, VR will NOT pay fully for your hearing aids- they will ask you to pay for some of it. Someone here just went through that. Me I happened to be unemployed both times I got "free" /paid for hearing aids through VR. Aids through VR may not always be the best ones either- may depend on state.

But you're correct on the dB level for candidacy as far as I know.

That what I heard from some people said about some insurance companies, but there is other way, you can test with new hearing aids on first day with audiologist to see if you are benefiting from hearing aids, if not so they will recommended CI if you are candidate, so no need go thorough the VR, especially if they won't 100%.

My insurance - BCBS doesn't require to try hearing aids first, but they only need hearing test report.

Oh wow, every states are different, in here, VR pay 100% for hearing aids to parents with deaf children, but their rules may change based on funding. For me, I got hearing aids for free from military in 1989.

Oh wow, every states are different, in here, VR pay 100% for hearing aids to parents with deaf children, but their rules may change based on funding. For me, I got hearing aids for free from military in 1989.

I think the rules are different between children and adults... once you hit adult age and have a job, you have to contribute something. Back in '89 I got a new Comtek FM system to help with work meetings (hahahaha ahem..). VR paid 80% I paid 20%. I suspect the same is true with hearing aids. Like I said...0 income--> VR paid 100%. I can't remember how much VR paid for the pair I got in college or around that time...

Back