I don't know where to go.

Vespertine

Reaction score
HELLO, I'm 22 years old and I'm severely HOH, practically Deaf ,but still getting used to that word....I was born hearing but had a lot of ear infections as a kid, which left me only slightly hard of hearing...it wasn't HS that I really began to notice a change in my hearing...However, I had a lot of other 'issues' going on and sort of swept the hearing loss under the rug. I was in total denial.

THEN when I was about 19, I lost all my hearing in my right ear, and my left ear was still getting worse and worse..I use hearing aids now, but it does not help me understand speech at all. Everything is mostly just "noise" to me. my left ear is almost gone, and it causes me a lot of stress. Doctor's can't tell me what the hell is happening to me, other than "it's genetic".

I've been learning ASL and hanging out with the Deaf crowd more and more( but since most of them were born Deaf, I feel like I'm still disconnected from them.. I've lost many hearing friends and really struggle functioning in the hearing world at all, So, I hate to admit, but I'm lonely..I don't know where I fit in anymore.

Hope this wasn't too long. Thank you.

yes I have but the idea of brain surgery really terrifies me. also i'm broke haha.

good Luck to you!...there are a lot of late-deafened members here....(myself included)....it's one day at a time.....

my friend who has had the surgery said it was brain surgery... so I was just going with what she said, and her experience. I'm not a doctor, so I didn't know..was just trusting my friend.
I'd rather avoid ANY kind of surgery and learn to accept it my new life....I really came here for moral and emotional support, not medical advice.

Back