i don't know what to title this

Southern

Reaction score
I have heard that if you see Deafies signing you are supposed to tell them you know sign, is this true? Also when i was learning sign it was at starbucks. My best friend just happened to be with me and we were signing and a Deaf woman walked by and asked if we are Deaf, through the window she was outside we were inside. My best friend said he is but the others aren't. She came in spoke to us for a little bit then left. My best friend and i have seen her at so many places since then. We met a cool lady because she asked if we are Deaf and she spoke to us, (she is Deaf by the way) when you are out and see people signing do you approach them asking if they are Deaf?

There have been quite a few times that I have approached deaf people during a break in their conversation to take the opportunity to sign, " Hi my name is Jill. I wanted to introduce myself, because I have a Deaf son." That is usually enough to get the conversation going, and also shows that I have a valid reason for approaching them. I've made quite a few friends this way.

I've met lots of people this way.

Me: "Hi. Deaf?"
Them: "Yes. You deaf?"
Me: "No, hearing. My brother deaf."
Them: "Oh. Cool. What deaf school he go?"

;)

I've met lots of people this way.

Me: "Hi. Deaf?"
Them: "Yes. You deaf?"
Me: "No, hearing. My brother deaf."
Them: "Oh. Cool. What deaf school he go?"

;)

Funny, that's usually the question I get, too:What deaf school he go?

Usually if I spot somebody signing-- I will ask if they are Deaf (if it is not too imposing and I got time) then I will chat a bit, then be on my way (with awareness so I don't disclose anything private if I happen to sign with somebody else in the same place). If they are only ASL students, then I will chat, then be on my way and don't worry about signing in private if they are ASL 100 students or something.
;-)

Another thing is that-- I will PREFER to know if I have been signing and somebody was WATCHING us-- usually I dont care, but I will PREFER if they DO KNOW ASL and they are also WATCHING.
It happened at Golden Spoon (a frozen yogurt place) when I was chatting with my deaf friend and when we were about to leave, a man in the line abruptly stopped us and signed: "hi, sorry, I know a bit of ASL-- I was watching your convo, but I tried to NOT watch, so I just wanted to let you know that I was peeking in once a while because I want to practice my ASL!" Well I think it will be better if he does it before-- to inform us that he is learnign ASL-- in case we were about to share something secretive (like where to bury the body??!!) if he intends to watch us.

For me, incidents like that make me more concious and be cautious about what I sign in public places-- ASL is no longer a "secret" language in hearing places.

I don't bother unless I know the person... I've personally found it a bit irritating to have other people come up and ask me if I'm deaf. It's a personal thing with me, but eh. I wouldn't mind a polite conversation, just that I usually don't want to hear about their entire life story in which other deaf people almost always tell me upon the "you deaf?" greeting.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. ;)

I get asked and I do ask. It is only annoying when I am out having dinner with family or friends and I am trying to spend time with them. I guess it is because my family is in AZ or I dont get out with my friends much due to our busy schedules. I prefer to get asked when I am doing errands or at a social. Just my personal preference but other than that, I dont mind as long as they dont stare and not say anything.

I don't bother unless I know the person... I've personally found it a bit irritating to have other people come up and ask me if I'm deaf. It's a personal thing with me, but eh. I wouldn't mind a polite conversation, just that I usually don't want to hear about their entire life story in which other deaf people almost always tell me upon the "you deaf?" greeting.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. ;)

Amen... another reason I don't bother is so I can analyse the person... yeah I'm bad...:ugh3:

Back