I could use some help :)

Jared_G

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Jared.
I'm in an ASL course at Stephen F. Austin University, and I was hoping you guys could help me out with a project I'm working on.

I'm researching terminology that members of the deaf community may find offensive.
There are a lot of things in my textbook, but they're pretty obvious for the most part.

I would like to get some input from you guys.

What are some things that hearing people say/do that they don't realize can be offensive?

I poked around for a while but couldn't find any related categories.

Thanks though! I'll check again!

Also, I found that sticky thread for students.
Looks like I may be able to get what I need from there!

Hey everyone,

My name is Jared.
I'm in an ASL course at Stephen F. Austin University, and I was hoping you guys could help me out with a project I'm working on.

I'm researching terminology that members of the deaf community may find offensive.
There are a lot of things in my textbook, but they're pretty obvious for the most part.

I would like to get some input from you guys.

What are some things that hearing people say/do that they don't realize can be offensive?

Deaf mute really pisses some people off

Yes, things like "nevermind" or "forget it" when you ask what was said. Always hurts....happened to me this week and it's always embarrassing when it happens too.

Laura

Those that can twist your words, thus a need for proper interpretation (or someone you trust) where it counts.

You always have to remember when communicating with hearing people, is to have the upper-hand of the situation. Make them aware of your disability, and be smarter by offer them re-eduation about your handicap. They soon learn fast and earn your respect. Think psychological smarter!!

It pisses me off when I indicate that I didn't understand, and they say the same thing again, same words, same intonation, same everything. :devil:

Wirelessly posted

Troyrider said:
You always have to remember when communicating with hearing people, is to have the upper-hand of the situation. Make them aware of your disability, and be smarter by offer them re-eduation about your handicap. They soon learn fast and earn your respect. Think psychological smarter!!

Who are you?

Yes, things like "nevermind" or "forget it" when you ask what was said. Always hurts....happened to me this week and it's always embarrassing when it happens too.

Laura

I hate when I am on the phone and I tell a person "I can't hear them" and the idiot will say, "I can heard you just just find. " This happen a lot ! I feeling like say "HTF is that going to help me?"

7Z233.gif

Laura

It's annoying. However, you shouldn't be embarassed if someone is too lazy to repeat what they have said, it's thier shortcoming not yours. You've done nothing wrong.

Back