I can somewhat relate

Lillys dad

Reaction score
With how it felt for some that had thei fingers taped and so on to prevent you from signing. I spent this weekend cutting down trees and chopping them into fire wood. On sat. I hurt my left middle finger. I think I broke it, but there is no point going to the hospital for x rays. If it is broken, all they will do is tape it, so thats what I did. I taped it to my ring finger.
I dont mind the pain from hurting my finger, what pisses me off is the fact I cannot clearly sign to Lilly. Especially when she is not wearing her CI. While holding her with my right arm, she signed thqt she wanted a cookie. I tried to sign "Yes" by nodding with my hand. I couldnt make the fist to nod, she didnt understand what I was trying to tell her. This was only one incident over the weekend. I was getting frustrated. I could only imagine the frustration if sign was the only/,ain form of communication.
It als sucks to type.

Lilly's girl.. I can relate... one time i had both wrists surgeies due to bad capral tunnel sydrome.... I cannot even type on TTY.. My late husband who was hearing had to help me ... Thanks God... I can speak to my hearing husband..but i could not communicate with deafies for 6 weeks...

What about signing with your other hand?

If I am holding onto something, I can sign with one hand and most people still understand me and vice versa. I know of this deaf guy who only has one arm. I dont know if he was born that way or lost his other arm later on but he could carry on a full conversation in ASL without any problems. It takes practice. I would use my left arm to hold the items cuz I prefer to use my dominant hand. Anyways, I am having problems with my right arm..some pain from my elbow to my hand so I have an appt on the 15th. If I need to put my arm in a sling, then I will have to sign with my left hand. Signing is not a problem..fingerspelling is a problem cuz I am not 100% skilled at it. I am nervous about it cuz I am a teacher and my students rely on ASL. I will figure something out but I hope I wont need to. :)

This is a short term problem. I just need to get used to the fact that my fingers are taped up. For example, last night I was asking Lilly if she needed help. When I signed help, I placed my right fist in my left palm, then moved ittowards Lilly. She didnt really understand it because my fingers being taped together, and are not in pain if they are about half balled into a fist.
I know this is all no big deal. It just takes some getting used to.

This is a short term problem. I just need to get used to the fact that my fingers are taped up. For example, last night I was asking Lilly if she needed help. When I signed help, I placed my right fist in my left palm, then moved ittowards Lilly. She didnt really understand it because my fingers being taped together, and are not in pain if they are about half balled into a fist.
I know this is all no big deal. It just takes some getting used to.

Try switching hands so that the hand that needs to be made into a fist for "help" is the non-injured hand...then you can keep your injured hand flat for the sign. Hope that helps.

I know I can deal with it for a few weeks. It is mostly an inconvienece, no biggie. When I was trying to sign to Lilly, I was remembering the conversation in which you told me a teacher taped your fingers together to keep you from signing. I then realized I got a very small taste of being on the reciving end of it. As I said the other day, I would destroy someone who did that to Lilly. Now I just got reminder.

I know I can deal with it for a few weeks. It is mostly an inconvienece, no biggie. When I was trying to sign to Lilly, I was remembering the conversation in which you told me a teacher taped your fingers together to keep you from signing. I then realized I got a very small taste of being on the reciving end of it. As I said the other day, I would destroy someone who did that to Lilly. Now I just got reminder.

Oh I see...yea that is so awful to what the teachers did to many deaf students. Geez...my teachers made a big deal about how well I could speak so it felt like my identity was about my ability to speak instead of who I am. Ugh!

Back