I can Make a Difference

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
I made that speech in my freshman year in h.s. and some of them have changed but I'm not changing anything. My brother is 20 and I'm 28.

My brother is different than you. he has many severe learning problems, but he has made a positive difference in my life. I want to share some things about my brother with you.

My brother name is ryan and he is 11 years old. He is deaf and physically disabled. He is learning a lot of new things very fast. He has lots of physical problems which are his spinal cords aren't straight, he has 3 holes in his heart, and he has a disease in his stomach. He had hard time walking alone. He can't walk a lot, but he uses wheelchair or walker most of the times.

My brother doesn't know how to communicate. He uses a few sign languages like bye, hi, shoes, blanket, sleep, shower, bottle, bowling, coat, later, tomorrow and gestures. He can communicate with pictures and he knows what we are talking about in some ways. He understands a lot of people what they are saying to him for sign languages!

My brother is learning how to walk more by using the walker, watching people walking, holding hands and letting it go, push strollers, carts, or wheelchair. He is learning how to eat with a spoon but he doesn't use a fork. He hates fork. He is riding a bike that isn't same as ours. His bike has strings, belts, and a thing that hold his back for support.

He likes to watch t.v. and movies. Some programs he likes are cartoons, car racing, any kind of cars, cops, rescue 911, building houses, and some sports. He likes to go places like Toys R us, shopping, actually anywhere. He loves to collect thousands of movies and cars. My dad collects the cars too.. It drove my mom and me crazy.

He likes to go to school at Charter Development School. The teachers teach him how to walk, eat, potty training, communicate, involves wit activities and sharing. He learns to give things to teacher and to put away things and help teachers with some kids.

My family and I is trying to help my brother sign more, taste more food, walk alone, do things for himself what he wants, drink alone and etc. I help him to put away things and he helps me, too. I played with him, helped him to walk more alone, take him riding bikes, take him for a walk, teach him more sign languages and putting clothes on himself.

He have learned new things when I'm not at home like washing dishes, doing laundry, being more stubborn, taking bath by himself, pour some drink in his bottle and etc.

I have learned a lot things from my brother. I have learned to be more patient and to see more success in small steps that he have made. I learned no matter how severely someone is, they can be fun to be with. My brother had made a difference in my life and I hope I am making a difference in his life too. I hope I am a good sister and that he could learn love and patience from me too.

Oh dear :tears: ..This is soo sad!!!

Aww you are a sweet sister, and I am sure your brother is so proud to have someone like you in his life!!

Beautiful and most sad story there, but it was sweet that you talked about your brother even tho it is one sad story...:(

Nice speech you did there girl! :hug:

Awww that so nice! :hug:

:tears: :tears: Passing tissues around, :::Grabbing it from ^Angel^::::: *scoff*

Awww. (Blow nose). That is so sweet. I'm sure your brother is lucky to have a sister like you. You are a sweetie.

A very touching story, ONG.

That is very generous of you to be there for him.

Oh dear, it's really very touching story.

Your sad story got my eyes water!
You're such loving & so sweet person. Your brother is lucky to have caring sister like you.

Wow.

Good post.
I envy your brother.

He got family members and friends around him all the time.
Giving him good love and caring for him.
He gets to watch tv and some stuff like that.

But me... my family members and everybody expect too much
from me. I tried to tell them that there are some cruel people out there.
I don't want jobs and stuff...
I don't wanna be heartbroken by men.
I got 2 college degrees and I might as well let them collect dust.
and my many of my family members suck.
And I pushed many friends and people away, because they
don't understand and they expect too much from me.
They get mad cause my mom buy me new clothes, pay extra phone line, and all.

Awww, I went off topic again. :topic:

Anyway, even though he is different than me.
I can see from other people point of view...
because my cousin, she is so beautiful. And she said
she wish she can stay at home like I do.
But she has to work because she got a child.
And she is single mom... it is very tiring for her.
And she goes to school at night and work, and take care of her child.

I feel that your brother got a easier life than me. He doesn't have enemies, but I do.

Gee, I must have missed this one...but that was a heartfelt and touching story you given while in high school...about your brother's own struggles and how he gets about in communication and physically. Since nine years have passed since this story you gave back in high school...how is your brother doing today? Is he able to walk better with significant improvements? Is there anything else that has changed with him since he was 11? I'm sure he is really a very special brother to you and that you've both have learned how special each of you are to one another! Thanks for sharing this with us--!!

Roadrunner said:
Gee, I must have missed this one...but that was a heartfelt and touching story you given while in high school...about your brother's own struggles and how he gets about in communication and physically. Since nine years have passed since this story you gave back in high school...how is your brother doing today? Is he able to walk better with significant improvements? Is there anything else that has changed with him since he was 11? I'm sure he is really a very special brother to you and that you've both have learned how special each of you are to one another! Thanks for sharing this with us--!!

sure... He can't walk anymore yet he still use the wheelchair... or crawling like always. sure he have learned more new signs. He dont watch t.v. much like he used to... he loves to watch movies all the times ever since even he loves himself on the video camera. lol Hes very destructive & emotional guy but we still love him anyway. He still love cars & strollers anything that spins... he also enjoy playing basketball which he got for x mas in his room. he goes to h.s. I'm not sure what they do there with him. he knows when he needs to go bathroom. :) he still love shopping and eat out at perkins or bob evans. *thinking* what else. if u wanna know abt my brother, go ahead and ask me.. :) He loves go to day camp & swimming in the summer. Bowling in winter. something to keep him busy than driving everyone in the family nuts. heh

Does he participates with other individuals that have similar conditions? Does he go to any particular functions or group gatherings for his entertainment? Sorry to know that he isn't able to walk anymore, is he able to stand upright at all? Last question, do you ever do anything with him whenever you see or visit him and your parents? :)

Roadrunner said:
Does he participates with other individuals that have similar conditions? Does he go to any particular functions or group gatherings for his entertainment? Sorry to know that he isn't able to walk anymore, is he able to stand upright at all? Last question, do you ever do anything with him whenever you see or visit him and your parents? :)

sure he does participate with other individuals at h.s. or at day camp and some stuff he likes to do. well he can stand with help but by himself. no. sure i do things with my brother when i visit playing cars, basketball, few other stuff with him. sometimes i go with family to go with them out to eat or shopping and etc.

ONG,
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I don't know how I missed this post.

Very touching, ONG. I began my career working with MH children so I share your sentiments. Are you working in this field, too? If not, maybe you missed your calling; children with multiple handicapping conditions would benefit greatly from such a giving heart as yours!

Back