I am teaching a sign language class

jumpin4christ

Reaction score
I need some ideas for fun activities involving complete use in sign language. I am teaching for an hour and a half and I really would like to do something different than teaching from a book or worksheets.
Any ideas?

Sign Language Games

What level are you teaching? The games and activities you can do are endless. If you are teaching pure beginners: Start with BINGO, Hangman and the telephone game for fingerspelling/ ABC's and short words.

The telephone game is wonderful for sentences: both receptive and expressive. Students have to pass a message down the line from 1 person to the next.

One of the best ways I found to build real life vocabulary and fluency (rather than canned sentences out of a text book) were to put on short plays and learn to sign songs.

Games like Taboo where you have to name items in a category work well too.

they started sign language class last fall and are now to the point where they are doing fairly well at remembering signs. They just have a hard time reading other's signs.

We played a game last week in my class where a person gave a word and we had to think of the opposite.

what about doing a group story, one person starts with a sentence or idea, then the next person builds on it, then the next , .....

something along the lines of

I got up early and took a shower...
then I made breakfast and woke up the kids...
after breakfast we packed up the car and started driving...

something like that would help with receptive and expressive skills...

just a thought.

I teach ASL 102. You can try BINGO. YOu can instruct in sign language:

Have students make their own Bingo cards by a grid of 25 squares, wirting BINGO across the TOP, then write:

any # from 1 - 15 from the B
any # 16-30 under the I
any # # from 31 to 45 under the N
any # from 46 - 60 under G
any # from 61 - 75 under 0

You can make own letter-number combo in small pieces of paper and call out.

My class loved it and wanted me to play it again. I will do this game twice next semester. I have other good games, too.

We're developing a bingo like game that involves ASL. The layout is different as it's not limited to the 5 letters of the alphabet. We should get this done by mid summer. By the way, ASLingo is really a scam.

Richard

I need some ideas for fun activities involving complete use in sign language. I am teaching for an hour and a half and I really would like to do something different than teaching from a book or worksheets.
Any ideas?

good ponit teach kids about read and write

dont teach kids about bingo :giggle:

if you are looking for a receptive game, we always played Baseball.

The teacher is the pitcher, s/he would fingerspell a word from the vocabulary that the students know. If the student doesnt sign the sign perfectly they are out. If they get it right,... they advance to first base.

Divide your class into two teams and have them play against eachother. Once a team gets three strikes (one player signing wrong is one strike) the teams switch and the other team comes to "bat" Its fun if the students are competative.

Oh the team gets points when one player reaches home plate :)

My class we always had fun

Hi,
Once I joined a quite interesting game of using signs to describe movie titles. One person will think of a movie title and tries to describe it with signs, others will try to tell the title correctly.

There is another game using signs: guesssing the names of famous people. This may be a good game in classroom. One studdent is given the name of a famous person by the teacher. Then he will use sign to describe the person such as that's a man or woman, what job he/she doing, what characteristics he/she has, etc. The rest of the class can guess who the person is by writing his/her name on a piece of paper.

I am a teacher too, for 5 years for the hearing people and just recently for deaf people. I have tried these games to make them more interested in the lessons and to increase the contents of what they are learning.

Have fun.

Thi

bump

If any one has any more game ideas I would love to hear them. I am a Teacher Assistant for my old ASL prof and she asked me to find some new games.

I really liked the movie title and guessing the famous person.

Back