I am So Sick of Hearing That Raising Taxes is Bad For the Economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...We lived below the poverty level most of our time in the military....
I can relate. Hubby was active duty Navy enlisted man from 1972 to 1993, and I was active duty Navy enlisted woman from 1970 to 1977, and Naval reservist from 1977 to 1995. The 1970's and 80's were especially rough. You might say, "character building" rough. :giggle:

All that private charity and yet if you look at a map of America's poor, the greatest concentrations are in the red states. Why export billions of dollars to the poor in other countries but turn your nose up at helping your fellow countryman? I dont understand that kind of reasoning at all.

Love to see your map. In my travels I have never seen more poverty that that in Chicago,Detroit and Northern CA....Maybe Cleveland

Private charity is no guarantee the poor will have food in their stomach. .

Neither is food stamps....

Secondly, let's say Republicans succeed is eliminating food stamps, what do you think is going to happen? Riots.

Who wants to eliminate food stamps? Perhaps you are confusing the desire to end the need for food stamps

Republicans can talk about elminating food stamps all they want but guaranteed they never will actually do that. Are you kidding? There's be nationwide riots if that ever happened. Roosevelt was absolutely correct when he said if Republicans ever tried to eliminate social/entitlement programs, their party would no longer exist

Again, I think you are confused

And your point is what? That they are not really poor if they can afford "luxuries" like fridges and microwaves? Or cable tv? Do they have to be as bad off as the poor in India before they qualify as poor in your eyes in America?
I don't think they have to be as poor as an Indian to qualify but it does show how people prioritize their expenditures.

So, um, fridges and microwaves are luxuries because that means they can actually chill and heat up their food?
A basic fridge (no drink dispenser in the door or stainless steel finish) isn't a luxury in America but people can make do without microwave ovens. Somehow I managed to survive without one until I was about 28 years old. It's a convenience, yes, but not a necessity.

People who work in fields all day might be too tired to spend another 2 hours preparing a meal over a firepit when they get home or maybe after washing dishes all day for shit pay in a restaurant, they don't really want to wash dishes when they get home or maybe, to feed their kids milk that didn't go bad, they kinda need a fridge.
So, the only options are either a fire pit or a microwave? No regular gas or electric stove? That's pretty extreme.

They don't want to wash dishes, so I guess they should have an electric dishwasher? Yes, that would be nice but not a necessity.

Or after bending over toilets cleaning up other people's feces and urine, they badly need to zone out when they get home and watch a damn tv show if they want to.
I've cleaned many toilets and restrooms in a school, college, and private residences, for very little pay, so I know what it's like to clean up other people's messes. I don't begrudge someone watching a TV show after work. However, it doesn't have to be a theater quality TV with a zillion cable channels.

A cellphone? One can get that cheap, same for computers.
At least they don't have to share a party line phone like I did at one time. :lol:

One basic computer for the family, OK. Every possible game hooked up to it, well....

Airconditioning...I've been in the South, it gets really hot and really muggy and I am sure hard working folks deserve their damn air conditioning when they've been working all day outside and many do die from heat stroke when they do not have air conditioning. How dare they think they are entitled to air conditioning. How dare they? Only people who have more money should be allowed to have air conditioning. the poor should just sit and suffer in 100 plus heat at nght, unable to sleep and thus having less energy the next day to pick the fucking fruits in the fields again, their backs bent over all day and aching.
I've lived in the South since 1972. The first enlisted family housing we lived in, at NAS Pensacola, FL, was in the "inadequate" section. Yes, it was officially labeled "inadequate." They were units from WWII. No AC included. Two bedrooms, one 3/4 bathroom (prefab metal shower, no tub) in about 500 sq. ft. No kitchen cabinets (one large book shelf unit served as a pantry), extremely old sink and stove, no counters, and my grandma's two-person table and chairs. No laundry. One closet. The sliding doors opened up into the "master" bedroom on one wall, and into the living room on the other. That is, you could walk thru the closet from one room to the other. (Like on Green Acres.) :lol:

We didn't work in fields but we did have to work, and we had our baby sleeping in that "inadequate" Southern apartment.

And poor people have them....not all...but they do have access to satellite/cable.

Even the people on American Hollow had Sat dishes..... and they "dug root" as their form of income. "You can always make money diggin root" Poorest of the poor. One had to borrow money from 3 relatives to pay for a marriage license. (Spoiler alert: The girl backs out) yet they still had a bunch of stuff.

Gee Whiz,,,Talking about Poor countries,,, Just go into Somalia then youll see a poor country yourself. They have no homes,,No cars and they wash their clothes and themselves in the river,,And they eat Cornbread,rice and Beans.

Exactly...... Our "poor" are the envy of the middle class in any countries.

Yeah, a majority of the poor population own/use various amenities such as fridge, tv, stove/oven, microwave, air conditioning, VCR, DVD, Cable/Satellite, clothes washer, cell phone....

I can get all those items for free off Craigslist. Those are not luxuries; they are mass produced consumer goods that the American marketplace is saturated with and has been for a long time. A true measure of wealth/poverty is to see what kind of education and health benefits people can afford.

Exactly...... Our "poor" are the envy of the middle class in any countries.

yeah, I'm sure the poor in America feel like they are the envy of others.

well, this is my last post in the political threads, i hope you, kokonut, reba, txgolfer, doug5, stevemcgarrett, grayma and rolling7 will all continue to enjoy your intellectual, informed and insightful discourses. It's been real.

yeah, I'm sure the poor in America feel like they are the envy of others.

They may not "feel like it".....but if they doubt it they can always Google the stats on their computer or phone.

Caroline discussing politics is not easy. It can be quite frustrating and disturbing at times. Sorry you dont like political discussions. :(

I can get all those items for free off Craigslist. Those are not luxuries; they are mass produced consumer goods that the American marketplace is saturated with and has been for a long time. A true measure of wealth/poverty is to see what kind of education and health benefits people can afford.

You can get Satellite service and cell phone service for free on Craigslist? Where? I gotta get me some a that

And poor people have them....not all...but they do have access to satellite/cable.

OMG... You should come to DC or Birmingham, many poor people that I know use antenna only to get local channels, that it.

Basic cable is so expensive now and it is around $60-$70 per month.

Yeah, a majority of the poor population own/use various amenities such as fridge, tv, stove/oven, microwave, air conditioning, VCR, DVD, Cable/Satellite, clothes washer, cell phone....

even homeless people too? :roll:

Gee Whiz,,,Talking about Poor countries,,, Just go into Somalia then youll see a poor country yourself. They have no homes,,No cars and they wash their clothes and themselves in the river,,And they eat Cornbread,rice and Beans.

Somalia has no government after thrown out in 20 years ago.

Note the word "majority"

Maybe, time for corporation to form new private company to take care of homeless people - Homeless Corporation of America who scum state to give $$$$ to build low quality McMansion shelter with crappy luxurious things as look for increase the homeless population.

Sarcasm...

And your point is what? That they are not really poor if they can afford "luxuries" like fridges and microwaves? Or cable tv? Do they have to be as bad off as the poor in India before they qualify as poor in your eyes in America?

So, um, fridges and microwaves are luxuries because that means they can actually chill and heat up their food?

People who work in fields all day might be too tired to spend another 2 hours preparing a meal over a firepit when they get home or maybe after washing dishes all day for shit pay in a restaurant, they don't really want to wash dishes when they get home or maybe, to feed their kids milk that didn't go bad, they kinda need a fridge.

Or after bending over toilets cleaning up other people's feces and urine, they badly need to zone out when they get home and watch a damn tv show if they want to.

A cellphone? One can get that cheap, same for computers.

Airconditioning...I've been in the South, it gets really hot and really muggy and I am sure hard working folks deserve their damn air conditioning when they've been working all day outside and many do die from heat stroke when they do not have air conditioning. How dare they think they are entitled to air conditioning. How dare they? Only people who have more money should be allowed to have air conditioning. the poor should just sit and suffer in 100 plus heat at nght, unable to sleep and thus having less energy the next day to pick the fucking fruits in the fields again, their backs bent over all day and aching.

They do deserve it, the amenities like fridges, stoves, microwaves, air conditioning, many of them have jobs most of us turn our noses up at and quite frankly, to suggest they're not really poor because they have fucking amenities is a stupid ignorant and selfish thing to say.

I never said luxuries. I never said they don't deserve it. I said amenities. Something that they have access to despite being poor. Interesting that you call them luxuries. They don't have to buy those things brand new, ya know.

Having a cable tv or a computer does not mean you're rolling around in extravagance at all. Far from it.

One would think kokonut is saying you're only poor if you're skeletal and so weak you cannot lift your arm to brush the flies away from your eyes.

Never said that either. Nothing about being weak. I'm talking about the level of income on being poor.

You can get Satellite service and cell phone service for free on Craigslist? Where? I gotta get me some a that

I can get 40 channels over the air on a free 50" television if I wanted. I could get a free cell phone if I wanted and use a pay-as-you-go plan that runs me about 20$ a month. Even a "poor" person can afford that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back