I am NOT a candidate

TAMI SAM

Reaction score
Well Im back and Im pissed. I have fluctuating hearing loss and of course this is a good day I get about 10-12 bad days then maybe 4 good ones.When it goes back to bad its worse everytime and disstorted like donald duck. I think its still attacking the nerve trying to make this ear deaf too. So i have a hearing test with my hearing aid then one with one the girl brings in that is so LOUD that its just whistling away in my ear from feedback.So I tell her no one can walk around like this.She wants me just try it ok i do.Now she says well maybe YOUR HA isnt adjusted right or you need a better one.I've just gottten a otican b.t.e it was $2800 .i was told its a really good one and it is extremely powerful. She said well come back and see our Audi maybe she can squeeze you in iin a month:rifle: Luckly I got a name from the CI surgeons Audi for someone in N.J. to try as NYC is 2 hours + with traffic $30 to park tolls ect. Then I tell her you know this is a great hearing day there is no background noise in the booth.Only thing she can say is well I wish we could see you on a bad day but we are booked so how can I get you in when it happens.Well I dont freakin know???!!!So i will try and see this new Audi and hope for the best and if it works out and I just spent this last year going through a absolute freaking living hell and putting my family through hell tears ect. just because someone didnt know how to program a hearing aid Im going to flip.Sorry to be so mean but I'm so flustered thinking I was finally to where I would get help and accepted getting a CI.:pissed:

What you said is part of what you mentioned in your signature :) but really sorry to hear that... hope there's solution to resolve this kind of hearing issue. Just don't give up because you will find solution soon.

Yea I do agree with boult.. Don't give up finding solutions! hope things get straight out sooner or so :)

Good Luck

Wendy

Sorry to hear that. Hang tight! Things might be looking up sooner than later.

Awwwh Tami, I'm so sorry to hear that but I would not give up. When they did my testing they have me this hearing aid so high powered that it was whistling constantly but I heard sounds that I couldn't hear but not speech. I would not give up and keep on trucking right along. It is helpful if you had audiograms from other audiologists that could document that your hearing fluctuates that bad in the past.

Sorry to hear that :( I hope a solution could be gotten soon

Thanks all yep I'll keep on trucking as always cuz what choice do we really have? I think those old hearing test are the key Contra. Boult you are right with my signature-kinda forgot about it actually its a line from the song Amazing by Aerosmith its not my favorite song but right now it feels fitting! This actually may be a blessing in disguise because going into the city was hell so it might be better to be here close where I can get over quickly and be tested on a bad day plus I will be able to drive myself .The city traffic scares the bejesus out of me.

Just thought I'd add I couldnt believe it but there were ALL babies at the CI office,I was a little taken by this. One cool thing the woman my husband spoke to came over and said " Hi showed me he CI and let me rub her head(luck-lol) it just felt like a little indented bump.She whipped that CI off faster than I can get my HA off.I did notice as people started talking just like a HA person(or myself I should say) she looked lost with the background noise.Her CI is 10 yrs old though.

Sorry things did not work out for you this time. I hope the new audi can do something for you. At least they will be easier to get to. I hope you have copies of the results of any testing you had today. It will be good to bring those to the new audi. Just Hang in there!

Hang in there. They are obviously trying all the options first before approving you as a CI candidate. As you know, once you have CI surgery, that's it, you can't go back as you've lost the residual hearing you once had. I had to trial some hearing aids too for my right ear (not the left one as it was so dead that there was no point) and that took a while. Obviously, if the more powerful hearing aids are not going to benefit you then they won't make you wear them, especially if you are experiencing the fluctuations that you get currently.

They are obviously trying all the options first before approving you as a CI candidate.
As well they should. I really think in some cases that other technology would be just as good as CI. Do you have tintiutas or recruitment? You could use that as a battering ram.

Did you do too well on the audiogram? It can't hurt to flub those a bit, can it? I made a point of not trying too hard for that, just in case. Hopefully you'll get another chance.

R2D2 this was to be done on my "dead ear" there no hearing left in my right ear at all so they said nothing to lose it's my good ear thats on its way out and I was hoping to get CI before I went stone cold deaf.Deafdyke-yes tinnitus bad in both ears,what is recruitment? Sorry but Im not up on terms Ive only had really bad hearing this last year as my left ear was pretty good and was able to get by for the most part.Ya know frank,these words i "got were not even the same if they said couch and I said pouch they said it was close enough and counted it as a score...Ive never heard of this. Well,yes it would be nice if I didnt need a CI, but it is such a struggle evry day just to communicate.I AM SICK OF IT!!! it exhausting wearing I constantly have headaches and am tired.It doesnt seem to me that that is useable hearing right? I am going to see the highly recommended Audi on Monday at 11 she said she's going to check HA some times you get one that wont hold a program.Then we'll go from there.sigh.

Tami,

Sorry for the long post.

You seam to be in the exact situation I found myself in last summer to fall. How you word your feelings is exactly how I felt and opinions I was going through. I was seeing the Audiologist to reprogram my HA more than I ever thought possible. Everyone in the office knows me by name. They know my wife by voice on the phone since she has to call to make the appointments since I couldn't hear worth a crap on the phone. I would E-mail my wife to call and schedule an appointment and I would start driving to the office so they couldn't just say sorry when I was standing in front of them not being able to understand what they were saying. Looking back, during two of my most frustrating weeks I visited the office 3 times to get the HA adjusted just so I could hear enough to just maybe catch what people were asking me to do. This may have been the turning point because the week after, I had an appointment with the Dr and when he asked how I was doing I kind of mentioned he needed to talk with the Audiologist as I was there 3 times in the past 2 weeks. He did leave the room and talked with her and that was the first time they mentioned a CI as I was strongly leaning that way as well.

I found early on coke and salt played a part in the tinnitus. Prednisone sometimes helped reduce the tinnitus and sometimes it did not. I was taking so much medication at one point that when I found myself taking 20+ pills in a single day I made the choice that this can't be good for my health so I tapered off everything and guess what, nothing changed. The hearing did not stabilize or get better or worse. For me, the most frustrating part was I couldn't do a damn thing to make my hearing get better or worse. It just did whatever it wanted to. It just kept on the downward trend. Good days always lead to worse days. At on point, I told the Dr. that I did not want any more good days. I just wanted my hearing to stay where it was which sucked but I sure didn't want it getting any worse. I did know that if I ever lost enough, a CI was in my future and just hopefully it would help more than a HA.

I went through a ITE HA to start with and after 4-5 months, it was not powerful enough so the Audi helped work a deal to get me a BTE with no out of pocket money on my part. That one lasted maybe another 4-5 months before it was no longer any good. Batteries would initially last almost a week until the end where they lasted maybe 36 hours because it was cranked so much. Feedback My wife would tell me that my ear was ringing long before I could hear it which was also telling me how bad it was getting. They were consistantely adjusting the HA to reduce the feedback and change the amplification on the different frequencies just so I could maybe understand enough sounds to make out what people said but I had to follow lip reading as well.

I wish you luck and hope that you are able to keep things going as good as possible at home while things take their course. If your hearing is like mine, you'll have a CI soon enough. I hope you are able to find an Audi that will allow you to come in when ever you need the HA adjusted. They may begin to understand your frustration and just might understand the frustration you are going through especially when they start seeing you twice a week if it gets that bad. I truely hope it doesn't since I know what a pain that was for my lifestyle.

Steve

Steve thank you so much for your reply.Please dont apologize for a long post you cant even begin to know how much it has helped me to read this. I asked my husband(steve also thats so funny)to read it as sometimes you wonder how this is affecting your loved ones. Not only does everyone know me by name my local ENT was carrying my records with him as he has 2 offices and never knew when I'd need to get in there right away. I am so sorry to hear that you had to suffer so much,why do they make you get to your breaking point before implanting you? I cant remember when you said you got a CI but remember you saying you love Freedom right? Ive weaned myself off Prednisone because I truly felt it was going to kill me as I almost passed out in a cold sweat in a grocery store and said thats it.Now everything is a second guess vitamins making hearing worse ect. Probably has nothing to do with anything just grasping.You are doing well now? If I dont get satisfaction with this new Audi I'm going to try a new implant team here in NJ. After going to the one in NYC I believe they are really wanting to implant children as I saw no adults there. Thanks again for you post.

Tami Sam, Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. I'm so sorry that you weren't a candidate. :/ I would suggest you to get a 2nd opinion and/or at the next appt, purposely do worse on your hearing tests. Heh.

Also you have bad Tinnitus, just like I. That alone should make you more of a candidate despite your hearing loss not being as bad as mine. :/

[[[hugs]]] don't give up!

thats ok mama hey I sound like Elvis ha! Thank you for your kind words I do appreciate it! Yep Im going to start fresh and Mon we'll know if its not my hearing aid and if its not you say potato and i say hmmmm.sidewalk .they wont call the next one off! hope ya know that song or I just sound like a nut haha.

Sorry to read of your situation. Hope everything gets better with your hearing and tinnitus. I agree with other ADers ..get a 2nd opinion. Never know.

Back