I am in a delemma

prostock19

Reaction score
I am in a dilemma

I have been asked by our union at work to interpret for the 2 Deaf people that we have in our union. I am not a certified interpreter. The union has stated to be that it is hard to get an interpreter because most of the interpreters are at their regular day job during the time that we have our meetings. I told them that I would rather see them get a certified interpreter, but if they can't find one and I am available, I don't mind doing it.

What do you all think about this??

Last edited:
i don't think you should be responsible.. no matter what! it is their responsibility to get an interpreter, not yours.. i am sure everyone in here will say the same thing..

i used to let a friend, colleaque or whatever to do this personally.. but not anymore.. because it is a conflict of interest and not only that.. we tend to miss out a lot which is very unfair to us..

I am in a dilemma

Ugh, I spelled Dilemma wrong the 1st time. I am working 4 hours over my shift because of a callout. Oh well. BLAH!

I am going to have to find out if they are really trying hard to find an interpreter. And if they are really having a hard time finding one.

Interesting....quite a few years ago...I was approached and asked if I could interpret for a new employee during his training period (3 weeks) and suggested to them (the employer) that they should get a certified interpreter, but they could not find one at the hours that they needed one (graveyard shift-hours)...I ended up helping them by interpreting for this 'deaf individual' at the rate that was half the going rate for professional certified interpreters at the time. It was quite an experience and everything went smoothly as well as having the personal satisfaction of being helpful (and getting paid too).

As in your situation, if there really isn't any other way about getting a certified interpreter, and the two deaf individuals do not mind allowing you to interpret for them, then I'd say, go for it and I'm sure you'll not only be helpful but have a personal satisfaction that will surely last a long time!

I agree with RR, Prostock; however, if you are simultaneously a workshop participant, that'd be a whole 'nuther thing cuz you'd be screwing yourself of really internalizing the material for your own edification......

First of all, I am pretty sure your union is required to find interpreters. You didn't say anything about getting paid for this work so I assume your union is simply trying to save on the costs of an interpreter, which is unacceptable.

Second of all, I completely agree with Tousi. If you are a participant in the meeting it is not appropriate for you to interpret, period.

Finally, an important question is whether you truly feel capable of interpreting in this meeting, as far as your skills go. You don't have to be certified to follow the Code of Ethics if you choose, and one of the tenets is not to accept a job for which you don't feel qualified, for WHATEVER reason. Including the above (meaning, if you are participating in this meeting).

If this were a bona fide volunteer opportunity, I would agree with Roadrunner that if you were to discuss it with both the hearing AND deaf clients and make sure everyone understands what skill level you are interpreting at, that would be acceptable. However in this case, without any more information, it sounds to me like a qualified (certified is best but I realize that isn't always possible) interpreter needs to be hired for this.

I suggest educating your union on the ADA and discussing the situation with the deaf employees so they know what is going on and can also stand up for their rights.

Interesting!

Hi Prostock,
That was very kind of you to do interpert for that deaf person.
Finding an cerficated interpreter is hard, and they're not cheap.
I'm an interperter myself,and I interprerted for a deaf and leagully blind former staff at my workshop.
I bet the deaf person apperciated you doing that.
I've known sign language (ASL) for 30 yrs,and I love it!!
Margie

One more thing you might want to consider... the deaf people could be missing out on alot of valuable information if you don't know the words to convey the proper message. I had a hard time with this for a while... interpretting in church is fun, but when you are trying to keep up with a very energetic service, signing for over an hour straight, and don't know the signs for everyday church stuff (faith, trust, offering) then it is hard on both you and the deaf people reading what you are signing.

Just a thought!!

I work for the City and the Mayor appointed me a Member of Disability Commission job in 1999... I had a very hard time understanding the Chairperson for the Disability Commission so I requested for an interpreter. The Mayor and his administrations were avoiding me so much that I finally threatened them about ADA Laws. My husband isn't a Certified Interpreter, but he signs very well and getting an extra money from my work wouldn't hurt. They paid him $35 an hour instead of getting a real interpreter who would want over $70 an hour. That's really up to you Matty if you want extra money then heck go for it. :D

I've been asked to 'terp this tuesday for our union meeting from 11:30 to 12:30. I am going to do it. I did ask if they looked for a certified 'terp and she said yah. I need the signing practice. I think it may be good for me. I just hope that I can do a great job.

prostock19 said:
I've been asked to 'terp this tuesday for our union meeting from 11:30 to 12:30. I am going to do it. I did ask if they looked for a certified 'terp and she said yah. I need the signing practice. I think it may be good for me. I just hope that I can do a great job.

good luck!! just make sure you don't accidently sign "screwing" while signing "nice meeting you" lol :D you can do it.. it will help you spice up your signing skills pro69! :D

prostock19 said:
I have been asked by our union at work to interpret for the 2 Deaf people that we have in our union. I am not a certified interpreter.
I find it ironic that a union thinks it is OK to use a non-professional terp. Suppose a business wanted to hire a non-union worker in your profession just because it was cheaper or more convenient? I don't think the union would like that. Using non-pro terps is considered by some people to be "stealing the bread from their (pro-terps) mouths".

The union has stated to be that it is hard to get an interpreter because most of the interpreters are at their regular day job during the time that we have our meetings.
Do you mean the terps are at other interpreting assignments at that time, or do you mean they work at another non-terp job during the day?

I told them that I would rather see them get a certified interpreter, but if they can't find one and I am available, I don't mind doing it.
Do you know how much the terps charge? How does that compare to what you earn, per hour? (You don't need to tell me; just compute it for yourself.) If terps earn more per hour, then politely explain to the union that you will be happy to terp for the going rate of $XXX per hour (two-hour minimum). :)

(BTW, depending on the interpreting situation, be aware that most professional terps carry "malpractice" liability insurance.)

I am not trying to discourage you; I just want to give you all the angles.

Who knows? This could be the beginning of a wonderful new career for you!

Great point REBA.....

A question I have is whether or not your state has any regulations regarding the use of professional interpreters. In my state, Illinois, in order to perform the duties of a sign language interpreter, one must be registered with the Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission.

Tha's pretty cut and dry.... if you are not registered, then you can't (legally) interpreter in the state.

The two exceptions are K-12 educational interpreting (which I feel is a travesty) and religious (seperaton of church and state).

Interpretrator had a great comment regarding the Code of Ethics and accepting only those jobs you feel qualified to do, but the problem in your situation is that you do not need to adhere to any of these C.O.E.'s.

In your heart, I belive your intention to be good.... the problem is that deaf individuals for far too long have had to "rely" on friends and family members to interpret for them. But quess what... The ADA now REQUIRES effective communication (by a qualified interpreter) regardless if the union thinks it is TOO HARD to find an interpreter.

If I were in that situation I would not provide the interpreting based on the union's opinion that it is too hard to find one. That reason is not acceptable to me or to the law.

matty honey, mention ADA to them they ll get the interpeter fast since this is a union meeting i don't want u to get *screwed* with termonglies and u could get * hurt* and the deaf union employers may feel theres not enough information to be provided and its always a good idea to back yrself up before u take a bad fall now don't get me wrong im not putting down u don't have the expertise i just don't want to see you get in * trouble* Since this is RI ( rhode island) go to the website www.rid.org and find the R.I. agencies there u should be able to provide ample information and find out abt the interpeters agencies and then just get the phone nbrs and then inform them that whilist its good for you to experince this, having an interpeter is in the best intrest so theres no miscommunications.

Back