I am Hearing, but learning ASL

Vamapandaz

Reaction score
Hello, I am learning Sign Language, and starting to get past greetings and initial conversation. I would love to know some more about the Deaf Community. This is why I have joined this forum. For know I would love just a few comments answering this question. What annoys you most about hearing people? What is annoying about how they sign? Thank you. Feel free to be rude! I want to be a person who is fun to hold a conversation with.

Hello, I am learning Sign Language, and starting to get past greetings and initial conversation. I would love to know some more about the Deaf Community. This is why I have joined this forum. For know I would love just a few comments answering this question. What annoys you most about hearing people? What is annoying about how they sign? Thank you. Feel free to be rude! I want to be a person who is fun to hold a conversation with.

Really? When they think deaf people are some exotic different species, just because of the language difference.

If they get fluent enough, they will eventually understand we are just as boring, average, stressed, and normal as our hearing counterparts.

And I also don't like being stared at.

Haha I have had to explain to my friends so many time its just a different language. They assume its so exotically different. Thanks! I hope I'm not being rude by posting that I want to know what bugs HoH/deaf people. Because I'm not trying to be I'm just hoping that when I have my first conversation with a member of the Deaf Community that I don't Sign super slow, or have then repeat over and over, or doing anything else that's a pet peeve in general between the language barrier.

Haha I have had to explain to my friends so many time its just a different language. They assume its so exotically different. Thanks! I hope I'm not being rude by posting that I want to know what bugs HoH/deaf people. Because I'm not trying to be I'm just hoping that when I have my first conversation with a member of the Deaf Community that I don't Sign super slow, or have then repeat over and over, or doing anything else that's a pet peeve in general between the language barrier.

No, it's not rude. There are actually a couple of long threads on that topic here.

Quite a few of use rant about what bugs us when some interaction has gone wrong and we had a bad day.

Back