I am desperate!

candypie

Reaction score
Deaf interaction

I am studying to be a Sign Language interpreter. I have to have an interaction with a Deaf person by next week. If anyone could help my out, I would be very greatful.

Try animal shelters. Many of them have deaf cats and deaf dogs. You should be able to fill your satisfaction. Or look for someone who is trying to sell a deaf ferret.

Try this:

Go to Google.
Type in your state name (California, Texas, whatever)
After that, type in "Association of the Deaf"
Press the Enter or Return key.

An organization website link will be in the list. Contact them. Introduce yourself, explain that you want to visit one of their events and meet people.

I live in such a small town that nothing is offered around here for a Deaf person. I am having to take my classes online becuase there is nothing offered close, but I really want to do this.

I live in such a small town that nothing is offered around here for a Deaf person. I am having to take my classes online becuase there is nothing offered close, but I really want to do this.

Again, the best idea is to contact the Deaf Association for your state. They will usually have members all over the state, and quite possibly in your area. They may or may not meet with you. They have no obligation to take time out of their day to meet an ASL student, but they might.

I have to sign with a Deaf person for school by next week! I have been trying to find someone to help me all semester but with no luck. I am going to school to becaome a Sign Language Interpreter and need help! Please someone....

I have to sign with a Deaf person for school by next week! I have been trying to find someone to help me all semester but with no luck. I am going to school to becaome a Sign Language Interpreter and need help! Please someone....

Didn't your instructor give you resources?

I doubt if they had in mind anything other than a person in your own community.

You probably are looking into he wrong profession if there aren't really deaf people where you live. If you wanna be a terp I'd suggest moving to a bigger city and then take classes there and then find a job...

You could try calling all the different churches in your area and near-by to ask each if they have a deaf ministry or if their service is ASL interpreted. If they do than you are at the front door next Sunday.

I am studying to be a Sign Language interpreter. I have to have an interaction with a Deaf person by next week. If anyone could help my out, I would be very greatful.
You have to have an interaction with a Deaf person? Just one time, one Deaf? If you're serious about becoming a terp you better get a little more proactive. :lol:

http://www.kcdhh.org/bulletin/KYEDHH_Volunteer_Requests2012.pdf

Kentucky Association of the Deaf

Kentucky Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing About Us Page

If you're near other states' borders, you can also check their state chapters of NAD and RID.

This site was the resources she gave me. I live in such a small town, I do not know of anyone who is deaf. I am taking my classes online via a webcam because there was nowhere close enough for me to drive to. And I want this so bad.

Very desperate!!!

I have to sign with a Deaf person for school by next week! I have been trying to find someone to help me all semester but with no luck. I am going to school to becaome a Sign Language Interpreter and need help! It is an online class and this is this resource that my instructor gave to me to help me accomplish this goal. The ONLY resource! I can do it over the computer, I have a web cam.

I have to have my paper about it turned in by this Friday!!! Please...someone help!!!

candypie we have life out here. I am sorry that its a last minute for you, so some of us can't do your homework for you. I suggest you to ask your teacher for giving you the deaf event schedules and ask teachers if they can make arrange for contacting deaf people to meet you or something. If you take an online ASL class then it wont work. Learning ASL is required to contact with people, in reality. did you realize that this all deaf is more and more of those people with hearing losses who have just learn or have not learn amercian sign language. ASL users are out to the many deaf events that they don't bother to come to this forum.

i see that they did give you some tips of suggesting you to do but you seem to me that you do not take their advices. What made you want to learn ASL where did you learn about that one if so, then go to where you just learned.

If you are really interested in being an asl interpreter then you should not have any problem finding deaf events. im sorry. GO TO TEACHER AND TALK ABOUT IT is the best thing to start with.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm also going to guess that the instructor is hearing ... I don't know any Deaf instructors who'd send students to AD to conduct interviews.

To the OP - you really need to ask your teacher for real life events you can attend, resources you can contact etc to meet people in person- especially if you want to be an interpreter. Also, if there are no "deaf people" in your area and you're serious about interpreting you are going to have to move to a more ASL area... You can't get the skills you need (soley, or even mostly from) online courses.

Last edited:
Anji has a point, about your small hometown. If there is no deaf people in your hometown then either move to other state or won't make money for living where no deaf people in your hometown to work with.

Back