I am back from DC

rjr2006

Reaction score
Hey! I am back at home! I had an awesome time in DC! The personal care assistants (PCA) were very nice, funny, and of course, VERY PATIENT. The nurse came in every morning and night to wash me, etc and she did a wonderful job keeping me clean. It was very difficult at the first but I thanked her for helping me. On Monday night, I went to a bar for the first time and I didn't want to drink beer.
After dinner, I took a shower and I was going to bed, but my friend called and asked me to hang out with new friends (I took the night pill and I was so tired) so I went cuz it was my first time being out during night.
Fortunately, I was not left out because friends typed to me. (CT PCA) was with me ALL DAY on Tuesday and he worked for 10 hours because we walked a MILE to the capital. I met with 4 legislators from CT and I told them about VR not helping me find PCAs for this fall at college and they were shocked! The wheelchair battery ran out in the end of day so (CT PCA) pushed me. On Wednesday, I gathered a lot of information and guess who I met? A deaf executive director of the new company that builds communications device for the deaf to communicate with hearing people. He was amazed in me and he wants to help me get it, but he is currently working with Medicaid/re to approve the device. Also, he has cochlear implant and he feels that I would hear better with it and it is not too late.

I met a deaf advocate from Rochester, NY!

On Thursday, I visited Gallaudet University and I toured around. I questioned them about their English program because I was not sure if Gallaudet was better than RIT plus my English is way higher. I visited social work department because I want to get Bachelors in Social Work then get Masters in rehabilitation services.

Thursday night was so long and the speakers spoke for 5 HOURS which made my eyes tired from CART so I watched interpreters.

That is all!

wow sounds like you had a busy week. Im glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Hopefully something will get done on Capitol Hil. As they say in schools these days - Influence starts with one.

I hope Gally was as exciting as I hear about it here on AD. Id like to go visit one day myself.

Once again congrats on your trip to DC!

WOW! I am glad you enjoyed it very much and at least you got away from home and enjoyed the trip! :)

So wish you a good luck with your decision which college you wanted to go. :)

I've visited Gally and it wasn't my type to go but I do like NITD/RIT. It is everyone's preferences though. :thumb:

Back