I am an Iraqi woman, and I am boycotting Sunday's elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vance

Reaction score
Women are the new victims of Islamic groups intent on restoring a medieval barbarity

Independent

I am an Iraqi woman, and I am boycotting Sunday's elections. Women who do vote will be voting for an enslaved future. Surely, say those who support these elections, after decades of tyranny, here at last is a form of democracy, imperfect, but democracy nevertheless?

In reality, these elections are, for Iraq's women, little more than a cruel joke. Amid the suicide attacks, kidnappings and US-led military assaults of the 20-odd months since Saddam's fall, the little-reported phenomenon is the sharp increase in the persecution of Iraqi women. Women are the new victims of Islamic groups intent on restoring a medieval barbarity and of a political establishment that cares little for women's empowerment.

Having for years enjoyed greater rights than other women in the Middle East, women in Iraq are now losing even their basic freedoms. The right to choose their clothes, the right to love or marry whom they want. Of course women suffered under Saddam. I fled his cruel regime. I personally witnessed much brutality, but the subjugation of women was never a goal of the Baath party. What we are seeing now is deeply worrying: a reviled occupation and an openly reactionary Islamic armed insurrection combining to take Iraq into a new dark age.

Every day, leaflets are distributed across the country warning women against going out unveiled, wearing make-up, or mixing with men. Many female university students have given up their studies to protect themselves against the Islamists.

The new norm - enforced at the barrel of a gun by Islamic extremists - is to see women as the repository of honour and shame, not only on behalf of family and tribe but the nation. Ken Bigley's abductors perversely wanted to redeem the "honour" of Iraq through obtaining the release of female prisoners. Since when did Islamic groups - the very people doing the hostage-taking, torturing and killing - start caring about the rights of Iraqi women?

Take the case of Anaheed. She was suspended to a tree in the New Baghdad area of the capital and then first shot by her father (a solicitor no less) and then by each member of her tribe. She was then was cut into pieces. This to clear the shame on the tribe's honour for having wanted to marry a man she was in love with. This happened in late 2003, months after the "liberation".

In the last six months at least eight women have been killed in Mosul alone - all apparently by Islamic groups clamping down on female independence. Among these, a professor from the city's law school was shot and beheaded, a vet was killed on her way to work, and a pharmacist from the Alkhansah hospital was shot dead on her doorstep.

The occupation has in effect unleashed this new violence against women, while in some cases adding its own particular variety. Iraqi women have been tortured by US soldiers at Abu Ghraib and other prisons. The social taboo against speaking about sexual abuse is so strong in Iraq that these women will almost certainly have no-one to turn to upon release.

Methal Kazem is one woman who has spoken publicly of her treatment at the hands of the occupiers. Last February a US helicopter landed on the roof of her house. She was hooded and handcuffed and taken to Abu Ghraib. Accused of being a former Baathist secret policewoman, she was made to run on sharp gravel, tied up and suspended and made to listen to the screaming of other inmates. She heard one man repeatedly screaming "do not touch my honour", and Methal believes that the man's wife was being raped in front of him.

When Allied forces handed over power to the interim government last June, they should, as Amnesty International has argued, also have handed over prisoners. Instead they have illegally detained over 2,000, without charge. Few of these may be women, but it still leaves thousands of wives, mothers, sisters and other family members in distress and despair.

I also believe that Iraqi women have been raped by American soldiers. They dare not talk about it, however, as they face being killed by their own families if they do. My associates in Iraq have been counselling Liqaa, a former Iraqi female soldier, who was raped by an American soldier in November 2003. The savage truth is that if she returns home, male family members may murder her for her "dishonour".

If Iraqi women take part in Sunday's poll, who are they to vote for? Women's rights are ignored by most of the groupings on offer. The US government appears happy to have Iraq governed by reactionary religious and ethnocentric élites.

The one glimmer of hope is that courageous demonstrations against rape and kidnapping have taken place. In September, a women's protest fused opposition to the occupation, a demand that all Islamic militia forces leave cities, and a call for safe streets for women. This new women-led secular progressive movement is against the interim government and against the violence and restriction of political Islam. Those who support us should publicly renounce these phoney elections and campaign for a truly free Iraq.

The writer, an Iraqi living in Britain, is the UK head of the Organisation of Women's Freedom in Iraq

Source: http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=605289

It is pretty clear that you didn't read a whole of this article, do you?

But again, I wouldn't be surprised.

I cannot believe Iraqi women have been raped by American soldiers, If that was true there should be something done to punished those American soldiers, It sounds just like the war in Vietnam. :thumbd: And I feel that there should be women rights for those Iraqi women.

Magatsu, thank you for the posting although I'm not sure of the intent behind it. Its a shame that some women in Iraq will suffer consequences of being free, but those who do not fight for their freedom will always live in oppression. I do not believe for a moment that our soldiers are raping women in front of their husbands in the prison as the article says. Iraqi's that I have spoken to here in the US who escaped Saddams regime speak very differently of our 'occupation' of Iraq.

Something to remember is our own history. Blacks who sought their freedom in America were lynched and murdered, just as some Iraqis have suffered. Its unfortunate that they suffered, but look at how it has changed America today in regards to civil rights.

Cheri said:
I cannot believe Iraqi women have been raped by American soldiers, If that was true there should be something done to punished those American soldiers, It sounds just like the war in Vietnam. :thumbd: And I feel that there should be women rights for those Iraqi women.
Cheri there are no rules in war. Were the only ones followed the rules in war. The Nazis never follow the rules, The Japanese never follow the rules,North Koreans never follow the rules,The Vietimese never follow the rules and the arabs never follow the rules nether. So why should we?

ravensteve1961 said:
Cheri there are no rules in war. Were the only ones followed the rules in war. The Nazis never follow the rules, The Japanese never follow the rules,North Koreans never follow the rules,The Vietimese never follow the rules and the arabs never follow the rules nether. So why should we?

How can you say that "We're the only one follows the rules" Have you seen photos? or the video? How can you say there no rules? Nobody deserved to be raped/beaten! :nono: Understand that?

mspottedhorse said:
Magatsu, thank you for the posting although I'm not sure of the intent behind it. Its a shame that some women in Iraq will suffer consequences of being free, but those who do not fight for their freedom will always live in oppression. I do not believe for a moment that our soldiers are raping women in front of their husbands in the prison as the article says. Iraqi's that I have spoken to here in the US who escaped Saddams regime speak very differently of our 'occupation' of Iraq.

Something to remember is our own history. Blacks who sought their freedom in America were lynched and murdered, just as some Iraqis have suffered. Its unfortunate that they suffered, but look at how it has changed America today in regards to civil rights.
Well, Independent news is highly reliable sources in Europe.

As many americans casted their doubts about vietnamese women were raped by US soldiers until found out in later time. Also many americans don't believe that iraqis were tortured by US soldiers until recent, they were indeed tortured by our soldiers with loads of evidences which reported/investigated by europeans and other countries included America. So I wouldn't be surprised if some iraqi women were indeed raped by US soldiers.

But again, that's my opinion. Take it whatever you would like.

ravensteve, I guess you never understand the conception of principle. It is no wonder why you are very bitter man.

Cheri said:
How can you say that "We're the only one follows the rules" Have you seen photos? or the video? How can you say there no rules? Nobody deserved to be raped/beaten! :nono: Understand that?
Tell Senator John McCain that,, He was beaten brutaly by the koreans. Thats one of the reasons i couldnt vote for him for president. Being brutaly beaten tortured as a POW in the korean camp hes out for revenge thats why he wanted the white house. Who knows he might just go ahead and launch a couple of nukes towards north korea.

ravensteve1961 said:
Tell Senator John McCain that,, He was beaten brutaly by the koreans. Thats one of the reasons i couldnt vote for him for president. Being brutaly beaten tortured as a POW in the korean camp hes out for revenge thats why he wanted the white house. Who knows he might just go ahead and launch a couple of nukes towards north korea.
McCain was a POW during the Vietnam war, not Korean war.

ravensteve1961 said:

:roll: here we go again dude! :topic: (sigh)

Magatsu said:
It is pretty clear that you didn't read a whole of this article, do you?

But again, I wouldn't be surprised.

But I’m deaf! I can’t read! I can’t do anything for myself! I’m a cripple with no hope for the future! Deafness has robbed me of even the most fundamental human capabilities—I can’t read the whole article, I can’t tie my own shoes, and I can’t even properly groom myself. And if I don’t get my CI soon, I won’t even be able to wave bye-bye or wipe my own ass! Oh, the cruelty of it all… :mrgreen:

Levonian said:
But I’m deaf! I can’t read! I can’t do anything for myself! I’m a cripple with no hope for the future! Deafness has robbed me of even the most fundamental human capabilities—I can’t read the whole article, I can’t tie my own shoes, and I can’t even properly groom myself. And if I don’t get my CI soon, I won’t even be able to wave bye-bye or wipe my own ass! Oh, the cruelty of it all… :mrgreen:

Is that true Magatsu? :dunno: :ugh: :giggle: :popcorn:

There is a difference between leading a horse to water and having an entire country vote for its future. First, lets assume that the horse could understand your words. For 50 years, that horse was told he would be shot dead if he drank the water. He also saw the other horses shot for drinking the water. Somebody comes along and says that it is now safe to drink the water, would you drink?

Iraqis came out in numbers to vote for their future. This time, they weren't under gunpoint. They also didn't have an election card with one name on it that was Saddam Hussein. It also didn't have an "X" in the "Yes" column already filled out for them. That is what they had in the past. If it was even thought that somebody was against Saddam, they were murdered or even worse their families tortured before their eyes.

Some could say Vietnam was a failure, but just as the blacks should be turned back into slaves, South Vietnam should be turned back over to the North. The all would be right in the world, right? I can't believe people are so short sighted to only think about tommorrow and not the generations to come.

Cheri said:
Cheri... yeah that is true.. look at below

Photos Show Rape of Iraqi Women by US Occupation Forces:

GRAPHIC WARNING: CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

http://www.aztlan.net/usa-rape-iraqi-woman5.jpg
http://www.aztlan.net/usa-rape-iraqi-woman2.jpg
http://www.aztlan.net/usa-rape-iraqi-woman.jpg
http://www.aztlan.net/sodomized_iraqi_pow.jpg

NOTE: I am not purpose to post nasty here.. I want show cheri something photo as prove as true... forgive me..

OMG! Thanks for the photos ckfarbes. Now I don't even know if I support the troops now. They make me sick!

ravensteve1961 said:
Shouldnt that be in adult section?

No, Can't you see they blocked the penis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back