I am a hearing woman adopting a deaf dog...

NancyPinkCook

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first off, I'm Nancy, a 50 year old, retired RN, hearing-abled. I am also a foster parent to rescued dogs with problems. I have just agreed to take on Lola, a beautiful 11 month old Pit-bull/Dalmatian who was born deaf, she is white with the trademark Dalmatian spots on her ears. Lola has issues, she was caged 24/7 by her 'owner' who didn't know what else to do with a deaf dog. This woman surrendered Lola to my rescue group, and no one would foster her, till I stepped up.

My education in the deaf world has been very limited. I took two years of ASL in college when I returned 12 years ago. I remember very little of it. I will be needing to learn again so I can help Lola realize she is a dog, she is wanted, and she can be trained to understand and be understood.

Now I know, you may be asking "why are you coming here, we are for humans!" Deaf dogs learn sign to communicate too. I came here because, Lola, like a human child who has been neglected, needs special care and training... as I need special training.

I hope all of you are patient with me, and my (very possibly stupid) questions, and I apologize in advance if they seem like "DUH--stupid" questions to you... but think of me like Lola... a child that needs patience, please.

With Lola, I have a needy (what we call 'Velcro dog') that has absolutely no understanding of language and sign... less than I even have. She is called a 'Velcro-dog' because she will stick to your side, and even impede your moving trying to keep sight of your face and body language so she can try to figure out what you want her to do, also because she is very very fearful. The owner she had was not good, locked her in a crate 24/7 because she didn't know what else to do. So Lola got little to no physical touch or love. She is loving, and desperate for someone to love and train her.

The following is from our rescue group's director, pleading with anyone to take Lola on, or she'd be returned to the owner's home:

Just want to keep everyone in the loop that's been inquiring- Lola is being returned to XXXX's house tomorrow morning. She is a girl who is experiencing the typical transition issues for a dog coming from her circumstances (circling, pacing, on/off furniture, looking for something to do, crying in the crate, etc.. The first 72 hours of decompression from a street/shelter/hoarding situation are the absolute worst, the next week and a half is all about boundary setting. All of this takes patience, persistence and consistency. Lola has been isolated, yet in the middle of chaos for the last 9-11 months. That takes recovering from. She has no idea where she is, what's expected of her, or why she cannot sit on the sofa and of course she doesn't want to be alone... she is experiencing anxiety. It would be as if we took a human, plopped them in the middle of a foreign land with aliens that the human had no way of communicating with and no means of understanding what to do, how to live, etc.. She needs to learn how to be a dog, be in an obedience program and none of that can happen until she is in a foster home. Many of the dogs that many of you have fostered experienced similar adjustment issues, they just experienced them in my house before they came to you. Unfortunately, I cannot offer this to Lola, so until we find a foster that is willing to work through this process with Lola with the assistance of Frogs to Dogs, she goes back to XXXX's house. Re-entry will most definitely cause stress and the back and forth shuffling to an already confused dog will also cause stress. No one is more heartbroken than myself... it's a drive that I am dreading and I've already cried about.

I've been up since 4am working on a Hail Mary for her and networking with every possible contact. And please, keep you comments here POSITIVE. :)

It's the immersion program at Frogs to Dogs. The advantage over U.S. Canine is that the dog lives with the trainer for a month. Our primary critique of U.S. Canine is that it is a kennel environment, and while it is excellent for behavioral issues, it might not be good for problems related to living in a house. Like when I couldn't get Coco potty trained (after 8 months) they weren't much help. (After having her three weeks they didn't even remember it had been one of her big issues. And it was again when she got home to me.)

I was wondering if it would be a better option to teach Lola how to be a dog in a house. It's about the same price as U.S. Canine, unfortunately, but it's a) for a month instead of two weeks, b) it would give us a larger window to figure something out and c) it wouldn't burn out a foster with a very difficult transition.

It will have to go before the board. Our original agreement was that we would work our asses off marketing XXXX's dogs to find adopters or fosters, but that resources would not be used until we had a foster placement for any given dog. What happens if a month goes by and we have no where for her to go?
Laskey's Lucky Ones and Volunteers (LLOV rescue) Atlanta, GA 30344.

_______
Ok, so you all can see what I am starting with. Any and all help and suggestions with Lola's and MY training in basic ASL commands will be more than appreciated. Thank you. ... oh and if you know of anyone who would love such a beautiful loving dog, any help in placing her after she's trained will be so beyond a 'thank you!' !!!
10339643_619733228135467_4402060968396753720_n.jpg
10659258_619733224802134_4409602143909060280_n.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I don't know much about raising dogs, let alone with a Deaf dog. But we do have Deaf trainers and/or Deaf owners who knows about Deaf dogs and hearing dogs. They will come around soon to answer your questions and help you in the long run. There are some signs that the dog can understand like command signs. Just be patient.

We love dogs and cats. :D

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. :wave:

Gegiibishedjig... that is a very interesting user name. :D Thank you for the welcome. And luckily I am very patient. ;-) Otherwise, I would not attempt to work with Lola, she needs so much patience and attention.

Gegiibishedjig... that is a very interesting user name. :D Thank you for the welcome. And luckily I am very patient. ;-) Otherwise, I would not attempt to work with Lola, she needs so much patience and attention.

Gegiibishedjig is an Ojibwe Native word for Deaf Person, not a username. I picked that from my Ojibwe friend. Bebonang is my username.

I am Cree formerly from Canada where my ancestors came from Quebec and Ontario. I came back to New Mexico, USA about a year and half.

Okay, what you said about Lola needs so much patience and attention. :wave:

My wife is a certified dog trainer... being Lola is deaf, clicker training is out... Have you tried rewards? Show her a hand signal, then help her do that command ( lets say an underhanded scoop=sit ) then give her a treat. Hold your hand up to her means stay, and fan your hand downwards is down... I have trained my pup Zena silently and they catch on really quick with treats, BUT, only give treats when properly executed or she will think she gets a treat for doing nothing.

That dog is very focused on you in the photos. She is more than ready to be taught.

If you train dogs, don't you know the hand signals taught to dogs who hear?

There is no reason Lola can't use them. But if you want to use ASL, go to this link and look up the signs for the commands you want to use. Remember to be very consistent.

I rescue deaf dogs. I think they are much easier to work with than hearing, but maybe that is just because they are the same as me.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Blurry and out of focuse since i did it myself, but just the general idea, down, sit and speak...

Bebonang,

My deepest apologies! I have embarrassed myself already!

Thank you so much for explaining to me. and for the assistance!!!

Lola is my first Deaf Dog, and she had been held in a cage for the past 7 to 9 months of her young (11 months) of life. She is not socialized, and very panic-ridden, as she's not used to being out and around others. I have worked with her on simple commands today, when she arrived in my care. I think she is highly intelligent and very eager to learn. Food motivated I think will be very positive in training her, but at the moment, she doesn't even know how a dog is to behave... she is virtually the 'child lost in the wild and raised by wolves'. So she has ... issues. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to break through to her understanding that the signs have meaning and communication.

Thank you everyone, your help is going to be taken in and used. So much good advice and help, you are all so appreciated!!!

Lola is my first Deaf Dog, and she had been held in a cage for the past 7 to 9 months of her young (11 months) of life. She is not socialized, and very panic-ridden, as she's not used to being out and around others. I have worked with her on simple commands today, when she arrived in my care. I think she is highly intelligent and very eager to learn. Food motivated I think will be very positive in training her, but at the moment, she doesn't even know how a dog is to behave... she is virtually the 'child lost in the wild and raised by wolves'. So she has ... issues. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to break through to her understanding that the signs have meaning and communication.

Thank you everyone, your help is going to be taken in and used. So much good advice and help, you are all so appreciated!!!

I think she looks like a very nice, intelligent dog who will be worth your effort.

Lola is a beautiful dog. It's very sad that she has been basically locked up her whole life. She has loving eyes and I can tell she is just looking for someone to show her what to do. Do you have other dogs in your home? Thank you for taking her in, I know it is a lot of work especially with bigger dogs. I hope Lola catches on soon and can find a permanent home filled with love.

No advice, but I think what you're doing is really wonderful. What a beautiful dog too....

Laura

It is truly a great thing you are doing for what seems like a great dog! I am sorry that I have no advice, but I do wish you good luck!

I am a dog lover at heart, and so I appreciate what you are doing very much!

-Jason

Back