I am a deaf entrepreneur, twice awarded by prez obama. let's chat! ama

HeyDeafMan

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a Redditor, but would love to become part of the AllDeaf community. I have had a lot of interest and questions from others on my story and wanted to see if anybody here has anything they'd like to know.

So my name is Ryan Al-Sharieh. I have a severe progressive hearing loss and am currently 22 years old. In 2011, I was awarded the Presidential Call to Service Award by Obama for more than 4000 hours of meaningful community service. I am the youngest and the first deaf person to receive the award. Other recipients of the award include S Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-a) and Frank Shankwitz (founder of Make A Wish Foundation). Later that year, I was recognized by Obama again for making a major impact on the community through driving tens of thousands of dollars towards the Susan G Komen Cure for Breast Cancer Foundation.

My passion is in helping to improve communities. My latest project is Deaf It Up. It is a website geared towards deaf success. I also plan to showcase other successful deaf people from all around the world, to provide sorely needed inspiration and role models for the deaf community.

I love being deaf. It's one of the greatest things to happen to me. Because challenges and obstacles are a part of my daily life, I have had the opportunity to push the limits of my knowledge and grow as a person.

So let's talk about overcoming any challenges and obstacles, and any other questions you have AMA! (Feel free to ask me anything, really. I don't get offended easily at all)

Proof: http://imgur.com/a/ZVJlH

Do you know ASL fluently?

What kind of community service did you serve?

Back