Hypocrisy?

I have a disability.

I am not disabled cuz I am able to work, own a house, have kids and so forth.

Big difference.

At my job and at home, I dont feel like I have a disability.

However, growing up in a strictly oral only environment without any support, I felt very disabled.

Why does it matter, anyway? I call it diversity...

Too bad society doesnt see it that way. Pyo is right...the employers arent really fair when it comes to giving deaf people a chance...all it takes for them to give deaf people a chance but no, they moan and groan about using the phone in a different way, having to hire terps for meetings, and so forth. As a result, the deaf person doesnt get hired despite working his/her asses off and of course, the deaf person is gonna need money to be able to live hence SSI or SSDI.

I have so many friends who are educated and very knowledgeable in their fields but it takes them twice as long to find jobs as my hearing friends who dont have the same level of education. I think there is something wrong with the picture and yes, my deaf friends did apply to numerous of companies. They didnt give up but it sure does get discouraging sometimes!

My deaf friend has a degree in biology and he applied for an entry level job working at a lab just to get his foot in but despite the lab having over 20 openings, they never called him. Kinda fishy, if u ask me?

:nods in agreement: I feel the same way. I don't feel I am a disabled either.

Before I got Meniere's Disease. I considered myself normal person who could do anything but hear. I was able to hold job, have my own place and everything. I didnt considered myself disabled cuz I was able to work.

After the accident everything changed now its getting hard as I was not able to go in work every day like I used to. My ex boss said I am no longer dependable. That hurts because I used to be a good and hard worker?

Nothing I can do about it but accept my disease and go on living my life. Funny my soon to be ex husband didnt accept the way I am with my Meniere's Disease. He think I am lazy and faking it? How do I explain all of the symptoms that i do get? also with that all of the dr appointments and cat scan. The result was Meniere's Disease. jeez at him.. Oh well.

I just hope there will be a cure. so I can be back to normal? sigh...

I hope that there is a cure, soon, too, Freaky Cat. This is just a suggestion:
Have you consulted with a BVR counselor? The reason I ask is that you said your boss had stated that you were no longer dependable because of your illness. A good BVR couselor will negotiate with your boss to provide you with things like flexible work schedules, additional sick leave, and time to go to your doctor's appointments while keeping you as an employee. Things like this are considered to be "reasonable accommodation" under the law. If a boss lets an employee go because of an illness without trying to provide accommodations, they are in violation of the ADA.

I hope that there is a cure, soon, too, Freaky Cat. This is just a suggestion:
Have you consulted with a BVR counselor? The reason I ask is that you said your boss had stated that you were no longer dependable because of your illness. A good BVR couselor will negotiate with your boss to provide you with things like flexible work schedules, additional sick leave, and time to go to your doctor's appointments while keeping you as an employee. Things like this are considered to be "reasonable accommodation" under the law. If a boss lets an employee go because of an illness without trying to provide accommodations, they are in violation of the ADA.

Well I used to work in food industry and I have to come in every day and work. Stand all day or night and be on the move. Plus the business is a small business so they cant afford to lose a worker so you see why. The business had since closed.

I am not sure what BVR counselor is? Care to tell me what BVR is? Please, thanks. :)

Well I used to work in food industry and I have to come in every day and work. Stand all day or night and be on the move. Plus the business is a small business so they cant afford to lose a worker so you see why. The business had since closed.

I am not sure what BVR counselor is? Care to tell me what BVR is? Please, thanks. :)

Sure. A BVR Counselor is a vocational couselor who works for the state Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. Not all vocational counselors work with that dept., but it is the largest agency that employs vocational counselors, and they are usually very experienced in dealing with disability, and have a lot of experience with employers and getting them to create alternative accommodations for people with illnesses or with disabilities. Any counselor that you would deal with in this area, though should not just be a vocational counselor, but have the letters CRC in their credentials. CRC stands for certified rehabilitation counselor, and the individual has to take a state mandated test to be liscensed, as well as have completed a master's degree with a focus on rehabilitation counseling. Also, I would recommend that they have an LPC lisense, as well, which stands for Liscensed Professional Counselor. That is a national liscense, and the edcuation required makes sure that the counselor is able to deal with the emotional and psychological problems that are caused for some individuals when they have work related problems.

Too much information?:giggle:

Sure. A BVR Counselor is a vocational couselor who works for the state Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. Not all vocational counselors work with that dept., but it is the largest agency that employs vocational counselors, and they are usually very experienced in dealing with disability, and have a lot of experience with employers and getting them to create alternative accommodations for people with illnesses or with disabilities. Any counselor that you would deal with in this area, though should not just be a vocational counselor, but have the letters CRC in their credentials. CRC stands for certified rehabilitation counselor, and the individual has to take a state mandated test to be liscensed, as well as have completed a master's degree with a focus on rehabilitation counseling. Also, I would recommend that they have an LPC lisense, as well, which stands for Liscensed Professional Counselor. That is a national liscense, and the edcuation required makes sure that the counselor is able to deal with the emotional and psychological problems that are caused for some individuals when they have work related problems.

Too much information?:giggle:

Oh no it is not too much information. I appreciate your explantion. This is clear to me now. Oh I didn't know they are to do this? Why haven't I ever heard of this before? Jeez. Maybe I ought to try and see if I can get help? Hmm. Thanks for the tip! :)

Whoever told you that is in violation of the law. If you were the best qualified, then the law forbids them from not hiring you because of the reasons they stated. There are inexpensive accommodations that can be made that would allow you to perform the functions of the job with minimal accommodations that would not change the essentail functions fo the job. This would have been the perfect case to fight under the ADA.

However, society requires that the person being discriminated against obtain an expensive lawyer, and devote considerable time to fight what is an obvious violation of federal law.

And then people wonder why some deaf choose to apply for SSI or SSDI! It is not the deafness that forces them to do so, it is society's discrimination and refusal to follow the law that forces them to do so. The plain fact of the matter is that people need some sort of income in order to live. If they are prevented from working because an employer will not do something as inexpensive and non-disruptive to the workplace as allowing an employee to communicate through email rather than by phone society is the faction that has made them disabled, not the disability itself.

So where is the hypocracy? Is it with the deaf person who attempts to work, claims to have a disability but not be disabled, but is prevented from working by societal attitudes and discriminatory treatment by empoyers? Or is the hypocracy within the greater society who tells us that we all need to work to become fully functioning and independent, and then blatantly violates laws by refusing to make accommdations for employees, 51% of which whould cost the empoyer nothing, thus preventing people from working? The hypocracy is found in a society that passes a law such as the ADA that is intended to benefit a population that is treated differentially, and then refuses to obey such laws because of a minor inconvenience to the individual. Society says, "People with disabilites should become employed and self supoorting. Let's suppoet laws that allow them to do that." On the other hand, inreality, they say at the same time, "I don't want a personw with a disability working for my comapny because I might have to do something that I find to be inconvenient, but which really doesn't cause any hardship for me at all. Let someone else hire them." There's your hypocracy stating us all in the face.

Excuse me, you dont know my all life. I had a full time job and went college same time for 2 years. I got bank job by myself without vr. Then I had to come back to VR about need a new job. They tried find job for me. They told me that accounting job were very tough to get. They suggest me to go college over again. I said what?? I said I graduted college and worked at bank. They said well Accouting is not right for you so you need change the major. I told them that I had a baby and I don't have money to pay daycare that I was unemployment and go back to college to change major. It was not easy at all. After baby born, My job coach got me a new job but the business shut down. My job couch suggest me to apply ssdi.

Please dont against me or my old vr and job coach. okay?

Now I am not worrying about search job because I already have a business with my partner that I really love. I will cut ssdi off. My partner hired me to do this business. I can able stay home and manage collect email address and send emails for logo bear charities. No boss around. No employee. No daycare. I love what i am doing.

Hey you PPL.... as for SSDI... it is based from the years you worked.... anyone who are eligilble for SSDI are the ppl worked for more than 10 yrs... until they have health issues thats when we recieve them not based for deaf as disability... I am Deaf and worked for long time until i had too many surgeries...Dr ordered me to be on SSDI not because i am deaf.. it is health issues... you all got wrong idea about SSDI.... but as for SSI it is based on deaf... they never work.....Its original purpose was for them to be on it so they can have college education while they live on SSI.. but most of them abuse SSI... recieve SSI and not getting any educations... just stay home having parties.... GET IT

Differnces betweem SSI and SSDI...

Excuse me, you dont know my all life. I had a full time job and went college same time for 2 years. I got bank job by myself without vr. Then I had to come back to VR about need a new job. They tried find job for me. They told me that accounting job were very tough to get. They suggest me to go college over again. I said what?? I said I graduted college and worked at bank. They said well Accouting is not right for you so you need change the major. I told them that I had a baby and I don't have money to pay daycare that I was unemployment and go back to college to change major. It was not easy at all. After baby born, My job coach got me a new job but the business shut down. My job couch suggest me to apply ssdi.

Now I am not worrying about search job because I already have a business with my partner that I really love. I will cut ssdi off. My partner hired me to do this business. I can able stay home and manage collect email address and send emails for logo bear charities. No boss around. No employee. No daycare. I love what i am doing.

Lot of people dont liek their email addresses to be collected for that. They will feel like their privacy being violated. What happeend to Privacy law?

What kind of Logo Bear Charities is? Care to share a link with me? i am curious to see what it is. Please, Thanks.

Well, disability is a noun, which means it is something one has, or one posseses. Disabled is an adjective, which means it is something one is. There is a big difference conceptually and contextually between the two.
As I said prior, one can have a disability without being disabled. And the ADA and the SSA both use the term "person with a disability", not "disabled person." The contextual meaning is different.
Am I a blue eyed man or am I a man with blue eyes?

Hey you PPL.... as for SSDI... it is based from the years you worked.... anyone who are eligilble for SSDI are the ppl worked for more than 10 yrs... until they have health issues thats when we recieve them not based for deaf as disability... I am Deaf and worked for long time until i had too many surgeries...Dr ordered me to be on SSDI not because i am deaf.. it is health issues... you all got wrong idea about SSDI.... but as for SSI it is based on deaf... they never work.....Its original purpose was for them to be on it so they can have college education while they live on SSI.. but most of them abuse SSI... recieve SSI and not getting any educations... just stay home having parties.... GET IT

:gpost: I gald that you mention it! ;)

My view interpretation as hearing person who expressed POV differently as the people with disability.

Yes, I am surprised when I read your post here because many hearies, I know in real life, admire the people with disability who consider themselves as normal people instead of feel sorry for them but positive their disablity instead of said Yes, I am disabled or Yes you are disabled.

It seem to me that you think those definition words are important to accurate them than accept the people with disability's positive feeling and moviatation when they know that they have disability and consider themselves as normal people?

I am not quite sure what you are saying. My only point is that the words disabled and handicapped are meerly words used to define or describe something. I empathise with people that don't want to be refered as such because that is the kind of person I am and I do my best to be respectful of others. That doesn't mean I agree with it. I am disabled due to hip and knee injury but I certianly dont feel offended if someone refers to me as disabled or handicapped. Why, because that is what I am and I accept myself as such. It doesn't make me any less of a person or inferior to anyone else. Handicapped or disabled are words used to describe a condition. Nothing more and nothing less. If folks have a hard time with that then perhaps there are self acceptance issues. :dunno:

Oh no it is not too much information. I appreciate your explantion. This is clear to me now. Oh I didn't know they are to do this? Why haven't I ever heard of this before? Jeez. Maybe I ought to try and see if I can get help? Hmm. Thanks for the tip! :)

You are very welcome! You have nothing to loose by just consulting with them. Maybe you will be surprised at all they can do to help you!

I'm glad that you love what you are doing, and I did not say anything against you, vr, or your job coach. In fact, if you will go back and read my post again, you will find that I was supporting you. All I said was that your old boss did something that was in violation of the ADA.

I suggest that people apply for ssdi all the time. It helps while they are searching for employment, or while they are being retrained in school.

I am a CRC and an LPC.

I am not quite sure what you are saying. My only point is that the words disabled and handicapped are meerly words used to define or describe something. I empathise with people that don't want to be refered as such because that is the kind of person I am and I do my best to be respectful of others. That doesn't mean I agree with it. I am disabled due to hip and knee injury but I certianly dont feel offended if someone refers to me as disabled or handicapped. Why, because that is what I am and I accept myself as such. It doesn't make me any less of a person or inferior to anyone else. Handicapped or disabled are words used to describe a condition. Nothing more and nothing less. If folks have a hard time with that then perhaps there are self acceptance issues. :dunno:

They may be "merely words", but underlying those words are contextual definitions that lead to stereotypes and discrimination. That is why it is mandatory that we use the correct language to prevent the reinforcement of these stereotypes and discrimination.

You are correct. To collect SSDI, one must have an employment history. For those who have never worked, SSI is the assistance they receive.

You are correct. To collect SSDI, one must have an employment history. For those who have never worked, SSI is the assistance they receive.

Thank you very much...I am tired of ppl labeling on SSDI as lazy ones.. which is not true... I want to work.. but cannot do on full time... i am allowed to work part time... depending on how i feel...

Thank you very much...I am tired of ppl labeling on SSDI as lazy ones.. which is not true... I want to work.. but cannot do on full time... i am allowed to work part time... depending on how i feel...

You're welcome! It seems that a lot of people are confused about the difference and what it takes to qualify.

Lot of people dont liek their email addresses to be collected for that. They will feel like their privacy being violated. What happeend to Privacy law?

What kind of Logo Bear Charities is? Care to share a link with me? i am curious to see what it is. Please, Thanks.

You might not know. I never steal anyone's emails. I always goes breast cancer's websites or any funds's link and click contact us. They leave their email address there. I talked with Comcast internet about emails. they suggest me to get business internet so I won't get in trouble. I send 250 logo bear ads email a day. No problem. I only click contact us of any logo ( example breast cancer, Aids, Lupus, M.S, etc. We never sell emails to anyone. We are selling logo bears. People buy logo bears from us, then they set their own funds and resell bears and get money and send money to donate.

My partner had a link but her link was expried. We will build new website very soon.

If you want know more about this, Please pm me that I have Vp200 I can explain clear.

I'm glad that you love what you are doing, and I did not say anything against you, vr, or your job coach. In fact, if you will go back and read my post again, you will find that I was supporting you. All I said was that your old boss did something that was in violation of the ADA.

I suggest that people apply for ssdi all the time. It helps while they are searching for employment, or while they are being retrained in school.

I am a CRC and an LPC.

No problem, Thank you for understand. I dont use ssi. I use ssdi. I used work a job for about 9 years before I got ssdi.

Back