Hurricane coverage not captioned...

fhjmom

Reaction score
I was watching live continuous coverage of Hurrican Ike late last night and off and on most of the day on DirectTV channel 361, which is KHOU channel 11 out of Houston (I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worht area). There were no captions!! It really bothered me so earlier today I shot off an email through the websites for KHOU, DirectTV and the FCC. Almost immmediately I received a personal response (not one of those automated replies) from someone at KHOU stating that they caption all news broadcasts and he was unsure as to why DirectTV was not showing them, but that he would look in to it. About 2 hours after that original email, captions started showing up on the broadcast!! :D I am very impressed that someone at KHOU took it seriously and then had the issue fixed so quickly! I was amazed, to say the least! It's not like it was a slow news day in Houston. In the middle of one of the worst natural disasters to hit that area in recent history, they took the time to immediately address the needs of their D/HOH viewers. It seems like the problems probably was on DirectTV's end so jeers to them for KHOU having to address the issue in the first place!

BTW, my prayers are with those affected by the storm! It looks like many people lost homes and things, but thankfully the loss of life was not greater!

I was watching live continuous coverage of Hurrican Ike late last night and off and on most of the day on DirectTV channel 361, which is KHOU channel 11 out of Houston (I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worht area). There were no captions!! It really bothered me so earlier today I shot off an email through the websites for KHOU, DirectTV and the FCC. Almost immmediately I received a personal response (not one of those automated replies) from someone at KHOU stating that they caption all news broadcasts and he was unsure as to why DirectTV was not showing them, but that he would look in to it. About 2 hours after that original email, captions started showing up on the broadcast!! :D I am very impressed that someone at KHOU took it seriously and then had the issue fixed so quickly! I was amazed, to say the least! It's not like it was a slow news day in Houston. In the middle of one of the worst natural disasters to hit that area in recent history, they took the time to immediately address the needs of their D/HOH viewers. It seems like the problems probably was on DirectTV's end so jeers to them for KHOU having to address the issue in the first place!

BTW, my prayers are with those affected by the storm! It looks like many people lost homes and things, but thankfully the loss of life was not greater!

Hello if you have analog TV with satellite converter box, you make sure captions is on for your analog TV if you don't see caption and it won't available. you don't receive the caption on your HDTV you need to check to make sure closed captioned enabled for your HDTV satellite converter box, please see your owner's manual when you turn caption is on if you don't see closed captioned due to TV Station has expeniced power outage and they use an emergency power generator to limit power for equipments they have to use limited equipment if the closed caption is not available, KHOU should hire a ASL interperter on the screen for dual pictures when caption is out of order.

in 1992 I was watch WPLG 10 ABC in Miami, FL for Hurricane Andrew for live reporting. when the closed caption is temporary unavailable, they did hire a ASL interpreter during WPLG 10 ABC was suffered power outage and they did used a power generator.

WPLG channel 10 ABC is is excellent job for Hurricane coverage

I was in Jupiter Florida about 90 miles from Miami

My two cents:

Ideally, emergency broadcasts should be voiced, signed, and captioned. Different people have different communication needs.

Wow, I am surprised you got such a quick reply and had the problem solved. I have written to FOX both locally and with the corporate office complaining about the CC they have and have heard nothing at all.
Glad they could help you, especially with such a critical area as hurricane warnings/updates.... Makes my problem sound trivial.

Back