Human Trial of Embryonic Stem Cell Research Stopped Due to Animal Problems

dreama

Reaction score

by Steven Ertelt
LifeNews.com Editor
August 27, 2009

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- More information is coming to light about why the Food and Drug Administration has made the decision to stop human trials involving embryonic stem cells. The reasons mirror the concerns pro-life advocates have had for years with the research, which has yet to help any patients.

Geron Corporation had applied for permission to try injections of embryonic stem cells, which can only be obtained by destroying the lives of unborn children at their earliest stage of life, in humans.

But pro-life advocates said they didn't think it would work because of problems in animals.

When used in animal research, injections of embryonic stem cells formed tumors afterwards and also prompted the immune system of the intended recipients to reject the cells.

The FDA delayed the trials to review studies of the therapy, called GRNOPC1, in its use with animals.

Now, new reports indicate problems associated with the animals in Geron's studies prompted the FDA to halt the human trials. Specifically, the animals developed cysts at the injury sites after the injections.

Geron tried to play down the concerns and said in a statement that “a very low frequency of injected animals developed microscopic cysts in the regenerating injury site” but the cysts were “non-proliferative, confined to the injury site, and had no adverse effects on the animals."

It added that none of the animals developed teratomas.

“We have submitted these data to the FDA and are in discussions with the agency to answer its questions and proceed with the clinical trial,” Geron said.

Wesley J. Smith, a bioethicist, says he thinks the research done on humans using cells from aborted babies showed eventual problems and he believes the FDA needs to significantly slow down Geron's plans to proceed quickly.

"You know, tumors formed in a child given fetal cell treatments three years after the injection, and so I wonder how long an animal would have to be followed to determine safety," he said.

"And we can't forget that the company apparently has not tested the product in large animals, and so there is some swimming in the dark here," he added. "Nevertheless, the FDA did the right thing here in terms of pure safety."

Geron had planned to begin the trials this summer but said it will halt that pending the FDA review and did not know how long it would take the regulatory agency to conduct its evaluation.

The FDA initially cleared the trials in January, which would involve 8 to 10 patients.

Embryonic stem cell research has never cured or helped any patients to this point. Only the use of adult stem cells and treatments derived from them have cured or reduced the effects of any diseases or conditions afflicting patients.

Geron Corp., based in California, will use the treatment with 10 spinal cord patients with injuries the company hopes to treat with an experimental drug containing embryonic stem cells.

The patients in the trial will be ones who can receive treatment within 14 days after a spinal cord injury has left them paralyzed. They will need to be followed for a year to determine if the treatments had any effect.

Evan Snyder, a neuroscientist who heads up the stem cell research center at the Burnham Institute for Medical Research in San Diego, warns that the research may not be ready for humans.

"There's a lot of debate among spinal cord researchers that the pre-clinical data itself doesn't justify the clinical trial," Snyder, who is working on using neural stem cells himself, says.

Snyder says the mice Geron used to conduct pre-human trial research had more excessive injuries that scientists would normally prefer to see prior to trying the procedure on human patients.

He suggests that Geron should have done experiments involving larger animals before seeking FDA permission to use the controversial embryonic stem cells in humans.

Those concerns existed as early as 2005 and may not have been addressed.

Snyder said then that Geron should do more animal testing first to make sure the tests would be on the same injuries humans have.

"I'm not convinced they have done that yet," Snyder said.

Jerry Silver, a neuroscience professor and stem-cell researcher at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, told Knight Ridder back in November 2005 that Geron was moving too fast and needed to do more tests on animals before seeking human patients.

"Frankly, I cannot conceive of a human trial with the use of human embryonic stem cells following immediately from experiments in rodents only," he said then. "Many treatments that work in rodents to alleviate disease fail miserably in humans."

I just want to add that I don't agree with all this when they say to test on larger animals. The failure in small animals should be warning enough.
However it does say that there are problems ahead with the use of embroyotic stem cells so one should tread more carefully and only test on non animal computer models, then use concenting adults first. (rather then children or larger animals).

Plus use repairment of a foot that can be closely watched and the foot or leg can be amputated with less risk if it all goes wrong and horrible tumours start to grow. There is more risk to use it for something so near to the brain which is dangerous.

The idea of it being used for children is just plain wrong.

I just want to add that I don't agree with all this when they say to test on larger animals. The failure in small animals should be warning enough.
However it does say that there are problems ahead with the use of embroyotic stem cells so one should tread more carefully and only test on non animal computer models, then use concenting adults first. (rather then children or larger animals).

Plus use repairment of a foot that can be closely watched and the foot or leg can be amputated with less risk if it all goes wrong and horrible tumours start to grow. There is more risk to use it for something so near to the brain which is dangerous.

The idea of it being used for children is just plain wrong.

The idea is that if a cyst or tumor can form in one place does not preclude the possibility of producing the same effect elsewhere in the body and not produce a metastatic response? I agree. With embryonic stem cells they should tread carefully and slowly. I think the FDA realized the political implication of moving too fast with this and seeing disaster ahead on the horizon and decided to pull the plug until more research can be done to ensure the safety of such a procedure in humans. Ideally adult and cord blood cells are the safer and better options. Such as using adult stem cells for a damaged heart which is just now beginning in the United States with the FDA approval as an experimental procedure.

The researchers took Clegg's own stem cells and injected them directly into targeted places in his heart muscle to see if his condition could be slowed, stopped or perhaps reversed, Bruckner said. The procedure had been performed a few times in Germany and other areas, but the Food and Drug Administration had only recently allowed U.S. researchers to try the experimental methods on patients in the U.S.

"Injecting cells directly is kind of a novel idea," Bruckner said.

Based on the European data, the FDA allowed the process to skip the first phase of research that would have required the treatment to be limited to one facility, Bruckner said. In a phase two study, multiple clinics across the country were able to participate using a field of about 40 patients.

Bruckner said Clegg has helped add to researchers' base of knowledge through follow-up tests using objective methods like echocardiograms and subjective methods like questionnaires. Clegg's one-year check-up will put the finishing touches on the research report that will help determine if the treatment is ready for even wider testing around the county.

Patient No. 1: Alexandria man first to receive new stem cell heart treatment in U.S. | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk

Embyos are not unborn children. If you believe that every sperm is sacred, that's your right. I don't subscribe to that.

A human embryo in every respect is a person that have all the DNA as would a full grown baby.

A person is a person no matter how small. - Dr. Seuss

An embryo is not a person under the law. --U.S. Supreme Court

Personally, I agree with embryonic stem cell research and the FDA halting it for now. However, the trials that they're utilizing for the 18 month olds to restore hearing include using their own cord blood stem cells - not embryos.

I can't wait to see how the cord blood non-embryonic stem cell trials work out!!! :)

if embryo is not a person, then we have no rights to tell an octamom not to implant many embryos she want. we have no rights to tell her what she does to her womb. Nope some things are just plain unethical no matter how small it is. even when egg is just as small as a dot, it is a big thing to a woman when she finds out she is pregnant.

Personally, I agree with embryonic stem cell research and the FDA halting it for now. However, the trials that they're utilizing for the 18 month olds to restore hearing include using their own cord blood stem cells - not embryos.

I can't wait to see how the cord blood non-embryonic stem cell trials work out!!! :)

Once scientists have enough knowlege on adult and cord blood stem cells, there won't be any further point in researching embryonic stem cells which don't work well in actual treatments. Embryonic stem cells are great for studying and ideas develop from those studies. When I have my hearing restored, I would much prefer to use my own adult stem cells but a close match with cord blood stem cells may work too.

Sure, the point is that if there is a genetic issue, using self stem cells, would simply not work. Own stem cells will carry the genetic problem and once evolved into tissue, the problem will still be there...

Sure, the point is that if there is a genetic issue, using self stem cells, would simply not work. Own stem cells will carry the genetic problem and once evolved into tissue, the problem will still be there...

Well I realistically can expect a 20-40db improvement. After all, people with the same deaf gene can have different levels of deafness. I had more residual hearing at 1000Hz and above when I was young. Stem cells might not make me hearing, but surely itll make me less deaf or HOH? For me to be hearing, ill have to wait a decade for a genetic cure.

Back