Howdy Folks

Taylor

Reaction score
I've been browsing the AD forums for awhile. I finally registered and thought I'd say Hello to everyone.

One thing I'm unsure of is how welcome are those that are hearing to this community? I've seen some deaf related sites that don't care to have hearing folks there. That doesn't appear to be the case here, but I wasn't sure.

A little background. A number of years ago, I dated a deaf woman. It was with her that I really took an interest in learning ASL and communicating with deaf and HOH and realized how much fun it can be. Unfortunately, her and her family relocated. Since then, I have maintained an interest in ASL but didn't actively pursue it.

For the past 13 years, I've worked in broadcast radio as a disc jockey, however, earlier this year I took a position with our local Police Department. This has renewed my interest learning ASL. Our department has Spanish translators, but no officers that know signing. Keep in mind that there are translators that we can call if need be, but my opinion is that it would work out better to have someone on staff.

So, that is where I'm at right now. I'm not very proficient in signing, but am continually looking to improve. The hardest thing right now is locating someone local who is deaf and willing to tutor a little. The schedule with the Police Department is shiftwork and varies from week to week so it is difficult to take a college class. You can only learn so much from reading books, and the best teacher would be one on one with a friend.

With all that said, I would also be interested in obtaining information on becoming a certified translator. Anyhow, if hearing folks are welcome in this community, I hope that you'll have me and hope to develop some new friendships.

Last edited:
Welcome here Taylor!

We do have many hearing people posting on this forum so you are more than welcome to join us. I have always wanted to see more hearing people getting involved and learning/understanding Deaf Community better so it is great that you are here.

A word of caution: Just ignore these some of these insane members and you will do just fine :)

Enjoy posting!

Welcome Aboard Taylor! Have fun posting with us! :applause:

A word of caution: Just ignore these some of these insane members and you will do just fine

Does that included me? :(

Cheri said:
Welcome Aboard Taylor! Have fun posting with us! :applause:

Does that included me? :(

hehe..Cheri ..was just kidding ..Ive grown to enjoy every one of you and look foward to reading what you guys have to say :) :grouphug:

Hello Taylor ,

Welcome to AllDeaf and enjoy your stay!

btw, you are more welcome here! have fun

Hi and welcome to AD! I hope you enjoy visiting this forum. I wonder, you mentioned that you are interested to meet some deaf people in your area. What area might that be? Maybe there are deaf people in this forum near you. You never know.

Thanks to all for the very warm welcome...it is greatly appreciated.

A word of caution: Just ignore these some of these insane members and you will do just fine

You will probably come to learn that I am one of those 'insane' members :crazy:

linneaelliott, I'd rather not disclose my exact location at this time but I can tell you that I live within Anne Arundel County, Maryland which is about an equal distance from Baltimore and Washington.

Back