How would you sign empower?

BLeGal2

Reaction score
the context: to empower the people

I would likely use the ASL sign for "Strengthen" (provided that would still be appropriate in the broader context of the phrase/topic being discussed)

the context: to empower the people

I know this sign very well as it is a popular sign these days so let me try: The "C" hand to a bicep, keeping the "C", swing out to the front of your body toward your audience. Hope that's clear......

I know this sign very well as it is a popular sign these days so let me try: The "C" hand to a bicep, keeping the "C", swing out to the front of your body toward your audience. Hope that's clear......

yes it is! thanks!

Yes, that's what I use.

Added note: The "swing" of the C-hand can be directional, depending on who or what is empowering whom.

Yes, that's what I use.

Added note: The "swing" of the C-hand can be directional, depending on who or what is empowering whom.

Yay! Reba's here! Thanks for that addition....

And I thank you as well. I have never needed or used that sign, but now I am sure i shall.

Yes, that's what I use.

I use the same sign as Reba's and Tousi's

That's the other one I was trying to think of lol!

I think it might be slightly less popular in my area- although, Admittedly I don't use the sign much.

I always love expanding my vocabulary, and learning what signs are used in various locations for various English words :) Thanks for "twigging" my memory on that one :ty:

That's the other one I was trying to think of lol!

I think it might be slightly less popular in my area- although, Admittedly I don't use the sign much.

I always love expanding my vocabulary, and learning what signs are used in various locations for various English words :) Thanks for "twigging" my memory on that one :ty:
I'm glad that you're striving to increase your vocabulary. :)

One correction though. ASL signs don't represent English words; they represent concepts.

Yeah Reba, but I have seen many deafies in their English classes that get stuck on thinking of a word that goes along with the sign they are gonna say in their, say test or in-class journal. They would wave their hands in a circular motion in the air or smack their foreheads with their fists or open palms trying to think of that word before giving up and asking their English teachers.

That's what happens if ASL is your first language after all.

Yes, that's what I use.

I use that one as well. If they don't understand what that means, then I expand on it and explain "give people power so they can do (whatever)." Interpreting isn't always easy :)

Yeah Reba, but I have seen many deafies in their English classes that get stuck on thinking of a word that goes along with the sign they are gonna say in their, say test or in-class journal. They would wave their hands in a circular motion in the air or smack their foreheads with their fists or open palms trying to think of that word before giving up and asking their English teachers.

That's what happens if ASL is your first language after all.

Sometimes I think in German and can't think of the English word. So I check the dictionary and find the English equivalent. I don't think that ASL is any less than English, and both languages are great to use in appropriate settings.

Also, sometimes there is no equivalent in another language... For example, the German word "Feierabend" has no English equivalent... one would have to expand on it and say be off for the night from work. Same goes for the Swedish word "fika" meaning to have a coffee break.

I'm glad that you're striving to increase your vocabulary. :)

One correction though. ASL signs don't represent English words; they represent concepts.

I know ;) I was going to write "glosses for English words" ... and somehow got distracted and left off the "gloss" ... serves me right to post late at night !!

Back