How would you define ... ? :D

How would you define your hearing status ? ( multiple choices are possible )

• Deaf

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • deaf

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • late deafened

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • oral deaf

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • severely/profoundly hard of hearing

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • moderately hard of hearing

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • slightly hard of hearing

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • hearing

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • other. please clarify

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you think of your hearing status ? I know it may be different for each individual.. There you go..

Thanks for allowing multiple choices.

Prior to my CI...I was a HOH severely/profoundly deaf who was extremely oral.

After my CI...I'm officially "deaf" as in total deafness but functionally slightly hard of hearing due to CI and who is now actually more oral than ever before (my cell phone is sometimes glued to my "ear").

I had a severe to profound loss in both ears. That loss was mostly in the profound range. However, I have always functioned more like a HOH person than a deaf person. Now that I am implanted, I function like a person with mild loss.

I will say this much, I have sworn that even if I can speak on the phone (which I can but only to people I know well), I"ll not be one of those types who use the cell phone in class or when eating out. I'll not be one of those types whose cell phone is perma glued to her ear. :D

D/deaf, oral deaf, severely/profoundly hoh. Without titles, I consider myself a person that can't hear. :D

im deaf since i was baby at 10 month old its hard explain but my mom knew about that but i cant hear but my mom took me to dr for check-up my ears and im become deaf but im not sure how im percent would im be!

I put "hearing" and "other" because technically I am hearing. I don't need hearing aids or anything for oral conversations. But I do turn the volume on the phone most of the way up (my mom HATES that), and I have random short times (longer than a moment, not always the same amount of time) of not being able to hear clearly.

Hard-of-hearing.

Of course, it depends on who I'm talking to.

If I'm talking to a hearing person who doesn't know anything about deaf culture, I simply say that I'm deaf.

If I'm talking to a deaf person, I will say that I'm hard-of-hearing.

Of course, there are some people who are so engrossed in deaf culture that they place a lot of emphasis on deaf pride... so they call me a "hearie wanna-be". :roll:

Of course, there are some people who are so engrossed in deaf culture that they place a lot of emphasis on deaf pride... so they call me a "hearie wanna-be". :roll:

they are making matters worse and worse :|

Hard-of-hearing.

Of course, it depends on who I'm talking to.

If I'm talking to a hearing person who doesn't know anything about deaf culture, I simply say that I'm deaf.

If I'm talking to a deaf person, I will say that I'm hard-of-hearing.

I keep hearing stuff like this and feel compelled to voice my opinion; It's completely ridiculous. Do some deaf people feel that they are unique from the rest of the human race or something? It's almost as bad as african americans using ghetto slur to refer to one another. I'm deaf myself and consider myself just another person; my deafness doesn't define me, my personality, who I am -- this is what I let define me.

Severe/profound hearing loss as well as deaf. - here's why:
I am profoundly deaf in my left ear and severe to profound hard of hearing in my right ear.

To hearing people - Im deaf. To the deaf Im hard of hearing. Make sense? Good.

Im not sure it even matters anymore

I'm moderate to profound, depending on the area you are asking about... im not one or another..

go figure

Back